Red Rover World Journey- Chapter 1

smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Red Rover World Journey- Chapter 1

Post by smellody » May 1st 2021, 9:08pm

The Red Rover (RR) was hand delivered on the afternoon of the 14th. Here is actual surveillance footage of the hand off.

In this shot you see an actual lumberjack conversing with our very own Koimaster who is just out of frame.

The first couple of weeks were busy with work taking up most of the days. Being COVID times and shit I wasn't able to extend an exotic trip for the RR; I would have liked to as lumberjacks get very restless and irritated with life when they don't have quarterly vacations.

First impressions:

1) the dial is beautiful and plays different colors depending on the lighting. Red, brown, dark.
2) I didn't wear it much the first few days, but gave it a decent wind. I didn't check the power reserve rating, but do not think there is much. (Even after wearing the watch all day and on a 3.5 mile hike. . .it was dead at 11 the next morning.)
3) Time setting feels like you are actually engaging a machine. I mentioned the other day that engaging the gear to change the time is like a nonsynchro Moss gearbox. A few of you will get the refernce and understand.
4) Beyond that, the RR is a fine ass watch and should be a durable tool for years to come. I am confident this was a fine ass gift and should not have been returned and treated the way it was.

Of notice, the weekend after the RR arrived I was able to negotiate the Ranger. So the RR was able to say goodbye to this lot and a few more. . .. .

The Ranger came..... I honeymooned for some time. . . I wore the RR a little here and there.

Last weekend was busy...
I took the RR on a hike and introduced it to the mighty Willamette, including this slow moving slough.

Thr RR helped me replace the fan clutch on my daughter's ML.

Last week. The RR and some of the hounds.

RR and my horse, Dobbie.

Today was a busy start to the weekend. But there was time to sit on the couch with another hound for a bit before helping my daughter set up her art booth at the local weekend market.

Today the RR also helped me replace the failed crimp clamp on the gas line of the wife's car with a conventional hose clamp. WTF would Mercedes-Benz reuse the old crimp clamp when then rebuilt the heads under warranty?

The fix was successful following a full cat scan.

The RR took a quick trip to Harbor Freight and the to the liquor store in my Jag. (We parked way out to get steps and to make sure no trucks or Subarus parked next to us.)

In order to improve access to the hose clamp I had to remove the oil filter cartridge. Unfortunately, my extra oil filters are at the front of the garage blocked by my other RR, my Rolls-Royce. The RR and I had to move the Rolls, but first had to move 8,000 pillows that my wife had put on the Roll's trunk. With no other place for them to go, we put the 8,000 pillows on the Jag....

Then the two RRs played for a bit and got to know each other.

I am fresh out of Grey Poupon, but some how the Heinz mustard is Timex fitting.

Well that is about it. I've made arrangements with Mark to start the second Chapter in the RR's journey. The RR should ship out Monday.

Tomorrow I plan to throw the RR a watch party. Pictures to follow. . .tomorrow.
Last edited by smellody on May 1st 2021, 10:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdson
Master of Time

Re: Red Rover World Journey- Chapter 1

Post by gerdson » May 2nd 2021, 4:00am

Nothing is more classy than eating a hotdog on the backseat of Your Rolls. But may I humbly suggest, there is better mustard than Heinz. Heinz ketchup, of course, is the motherfucking breastest. For mustard I do suggest this:
It is guaranteed to bring the tears to Your eyes, not a sissy-mustard like the one shown by revered Dr. Smelli-Lord.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
smellody (Online)

Post by smellody » May 2nd 2021, 5:22pm

The party went well. As these are COVID times protectionmwas used.

The RR thought the plastic sleeves were pretty slick and asked for their own. I had to oblige.

A few other guests.

Our newest member may like this guy. Hand assembled at my breakfast bar.

The fun is over... Chapter 2 begins tomorrow.
smellody (Online)

Post by smellody » May 3rd 2021, 3:00pm

The RR's original box is quite nice. Pretty impressive for what I would expect from a "more affordable" brand.

It is however heavy and a FOOT long (don't get too excited Conjurer). Because of the length and weight I opted to ship the RR to Mark in a clamshell sunglass case. One must stay light when traveling abroad. The clamshell case is 1/3 the length and all in the package was only 6 ounces (you foreigners can convert that into metrics).

Watch and extra strap fit perfectly.

Despite my best efforts to cut costs... it still cost $7.70 to ship it to Mark who lives 50 miles away. It is supposed to make it to Mark tomorrow. Seeing how it will go through Portland.... I predict Saturday... we will see.

I'll see Mark in two weeks and bring along the original box that he can decide to continue with the clamshell or ship the original box. If he goes with the clamshell I'll send Koi home with his original box 📦for the RRs safe return in a few months/year.
Mark1

Post by Mark1 » May 4th 2021, 5:41pm

The watch survived it's brief time with the USPS. This trip is likely the shortest leg in it's world tour, (if you don't count Koi driving it over to smellodys house.) Not sure what we'll do. Golf tomorrow, then who knows what.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
smellody (Online)

Post by smellody » May 4th 2021, 6:00pm

Mark1 wrote:
May 4th 2021, 5:41pm
The watch survived it's brief time with the USPS. This trip is likely the shortest leg in it's world tour, (if you don't count Koi driving it over to smellodys house.) Not sure what we'll do. Golf tomorrow, then who knows what.
Most excellent news. Show the RR a great time!
smellody (Online)

Post by smellody » May 4th 2021, 7:46pm

Masshole wrote:
May 4th 2021, 6:46pm
Great post!

Looks like they thing got plenty of work and play time. I’m looking forward to seeing everyone’s posts with this watch

I also can’t stop drooling over that Hamilton you posted. What a beauty. How can I get one????
Pictures are gone... but here are the details.

viewtopic.php?f=154&t=16531&p=152481&hi ... er#p152481

Unfortunately to build one, you need a dial from one on the second row and the 6498 out of hunter case (third row left side). . .

Return to “Red Rover travels”