Flaming Hot Summer of Scorching Hot Burning Cricket Heat - 2022/2023

User avatar
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT
Posts: 10747
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Flaming Hot Summer of Scorching Hot Burning Cricket Heat - 2022/2023

Post by jason_recliner » October 19th 2022, 7:37pm

T20 is underway, ODI World Cup and Tests are a few sleeps away. Don't forget to check in for all the cricket results, cricket news, and spicy-hot insider cricket gossip.

Some golden moments from the world's greatest ever commentary partnership (see what I did there?) to kick us off:











And who could forget the greatest ever cricketer to become the greatest ever president of the greatest ever nation, Imran Khan? Before he became president he was interviewed on Australian late night TV:



You all know what's coming...

Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
AlbertaTime
Master of Time
Posts: 4901
Joined: October 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Location: Peace River, Alberta
Contact:

Re: Flaming Hot Summer of Scorching Hot Burning Cricket Heat - 2022/2023

Post by AlbertaTime » October 20th 2022, 5:35pm

Dreadlock Holiday (I Don't Like Cricket") was a 10CC song, not a Bob Marley song :-)

Eric Stewart and Graham Gouldman (1978)



But for more blue-eyed reggae, there's always...

Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
User avatar
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS
Posts: 2740
Joined: July 11th 2019, 2:51pm
Contact:

Re: Flaming Hot Summer of Scorching Hot Burning Cricket Heat - 2022/2023

Post by bbattle » October 21st 2022, 5:18pm

Cricket? Is that the game where they play to a tie after a month of not hitting the ball and taking time out to drink tea? Something even slower than U.S. baseball does not stand much of a chance here in the States.

I seem to recall the grass is always immaculate on the field which explains why there doesn't seem to be a lot of action. Don't want to upset the groundskeeper.

Meanwhile, ESPN televises "quad ball" and break dancing competitons. WTF is quad ball and why is it a thing? And I keep hearing about pickle ball but I haven't a clue. Am I being "catfished" with all these weird games? Tell me they don't really exist. Am I using the term "catfished" correctly? I would ask one of my granddaughters but I don't need to further cement their opinions of my awareness of current trends or fashions.


Meanwhile, I'm abjectively addicted to U.S. college football with its interminable tv timeouts, 'play is under review' timeouts, 'players faking injury' timeouts, and idiotic play calling by the coaches which is only matched by the completely unpredictable behavior of the on-field combatants.
User avatar
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT
Posts: 10747
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Flaming Hot Summer of Scorching Hot Burning Cricket Heat - 2022/2023

Post by jason_recliner » October 21st 2022, 9:07pm

bbattle wrote:
October 21st 2022, 5:18pm
Cricket? Is that the game where they play to a tie after a month of not hitting the ball and taking time out to drink tea? Something even slower than U.S. baseball does not stand much of a chance here in the States.
You make it sound like it's so fast paced it could be hard to keep up with the action. Yes, there's a lot going on, but it is spread out over five days.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS
Posts: 2740
Joined: July 11th 2019, 2:51pm
Contact:

Re: Flaming Hot Summer of Scorching Hot Burning Cricket Heat - 2022/2023

Post by bbattle » October 24th 2022, 4:28pm

Speaking of exciting sports Australians love and Americans have never heard of, I learned about Netball today.

Apparently, the Australian netball team needed a sponsor and the richest woman in Australia offered to pony up the money for the next 2-3 years. The team said no thanks, a previous owner of your company that's been dead for 30 years said some things that make us feel bad. Well, they had disparaging words to say about their would-be sponsor so the sponsor helped make them feel better by withdrawing their sponsorship.

The Netball Australia team instead have reached out to the Australian gambling industry to see if any of them are willing to take a gamble on funding their team. Which is highly hypocritical, given their statements about the gambling industry.

Netball was born when a girl's p.e. teacher in New Orleans misunderstood Naismith's rules of the game he invented, basketball. It's 7 on 7 and was intended right from the start to be for women, although some men do play but that's mostly in mixed sex teams. Once you have the ball, you can't move, so accurate passing and lots of defense are important in this game. No dribble basketball is what I saw.

User avatar
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT
Posts: 10747
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Flaming Hot Summer of Scorching Hot Burning Cricket Heat - 2022/2023

Post by jason_recliner » November 17th 2022, 3:51am

Let us never speak of the 2022 T20 World Cup ever again. Moving right along...

Brilliant white hot start to the scorching hot summer of summer Down Under blazing cricket action. The battle-hardened old foes, Oz vs Pomogolia, duking it out on the hallowed turf that is Adelaide Oval.

Australia looking like an upset win over the shifty tourists. As we like to tell foreigners, F##k Off We're Full!!!
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT
Posts: 10747
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Flaming Hot Summer of Scorching Hot Burning Cricket Heat - 2022/2023

Post by jason_recliner » November 30th 2022, 1:48am

Scorching summer cricket action doesn't get any hotter than this. The GOAT Aussies schooling the once-great West Indies on the finer points of cricket. But not just any cricket - Test Cricket, the greatest, most prestigious, most exciting, longest form of this noble game. And played at not just any hallowed turf, but the hallowest of hallowed turf, the legendary Optus stadium here in my beautiful home town, home to several memorable battles over the years, at least four or five of them. The spiritual home of cricket, some might say, at least here in Perth on the eastern side of the Mighty Swan. Doesn't the stadium look magnificent, and the cutaways to the Perth skyline breathtaking?

Marnus 'Lamb Shagger' Labuschagne made a defiant century off many, many balls in fine Test Cricket tradition. And just kept on going, proving there's much more to cricketing greatness than an impressive run rate. Stoic Steve Smith has played stoically with a stoicism that proves to the world yet again he is the GOAT player in the GOAT team. Sensational stuff.

It's cricket that put Perth on the map and there's nothing finer than seeing the brave Australian 11 show these tourists from a small Third World island a thing or two. This is pure magnificence. People will be talking about this match, with proud Australian victory certain before day one of five is over, for many, many hours into the future.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
smellody
Owner
Posts: 12046
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: OR
Contact:

Re: Flaming Hot Summer of Scorching Hot Burning Cricket Heat - 2022/2023

Post by smellody » November 30th 2022, 2:54pm

jason_recliner wrote:
November 30th 2022, 2:51pm
Although never saying as much, it was clear to me that Alain wanted Watch Lords to be more cricket-focused. I will, of course, oblige :mrgreen:
Very helpful for those of us stateside.

You are correct that the forum rules are void of any cricket 🏏 related posting prohibitions.

Carry on.
User avatar
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT
Posts: 10747
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Flaming Hot Summer of Scorching Hot Burning Cricket Heat - 2022/2023

Post by jason_recliner » November 30th 2022, 3:00pm

smellody wrote:
November 30th 2022, 2:54pm
jason_recliner wrote:
November 30th 2022, 2:51pm
Although never saying as much, it was clear to me that Alain wanted Watch Lords to be more cricket-focused. I will, of course, oblige :mrgreen:
Very helpful for those of us stateside.

You are correct that the forum rules are void of any cricket 🏏 related posting prohibitions.

Carry on.
Thanks Dr Boss. If you don't have Fox Sports you wouldn't know what you're missing without my summary commentaries. You should have been there. And unlike your American sporting 'spectacles', you could have been there. It was possible to get tickets right up to the morning of The Big Day, if you know the right guy, with perhaps 3,000-4,000 people attending the iconic Optus Stadium.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT
Posts: 10747
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Flaming Hot Summer of Scorching Hot Burning Cricket Heat - 2022/2023

Post by jason_recliner » November 30th 2022, 3:03pm

PS - how much would I have to bribe you and Dear Leader Conjurer to censor all mentions of netball from my thread about the noblest of noble pursuits?
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS
Posts: 2740
Joined: July 11th 2019, 2:51pm
Contact:

Re: Flaming Hot Summer of Scorching Hot Burning Cricket Heat - 2022/2023

Post by bbattle » November 30th 2022, 7:04pm

jason_recliner wrote:
November 30th 2022, 3:03pm
PS - how much would I have to bribe you and Dear Leader Conjurer to censor all mentions of netball from my thread about the noblest of noble pursuits?
When I ran across a video describing the women's netball team getting obliterated by a high school boys team, what stuck in my mind was how the commentators were pronouncing "net ball". Sounded so much like "nipple" to me that I continued to watch the video. Alas, there was nothing interesting worth seeing.
User avatar
conjurer (Online)
Owner
Posts: 35571
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Flaming Hot Summer of Scorching Hot Burning Cricket Heat - 2022/2023

Post by conjurer » November 30th 2022, 7:30pm

jason_recliner wrote:
November 30th 2022, 3:03pm
PS - how much would I have to bribe you and Dear Leader Conjurer to censor all mentions of netball from my thread about the noblest of noble pursuits?
Five bucks and a new Boz Scaggs 8-track tape should do it.
User avatar
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT
Posts: 10747
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Flaming Hot Summer of Scorching Hot Burning Cricket Heat - 2022/2023

Post by jason_recliner » December 22nd 2022, 11:38pm

smellody wrote:
December 21st 2022, 12:22am
Any cricket 🏏 updates Mr. Undies?
Yes, thanks very much Doctor. What a scintillating beginning to another searing Aussie summer where too much cricket is barely enough.

Big Bash League is in, er, full swing, the Mighty Aussies dominated those plucky Caribbean chancers in a mercifully abbreviated two-match Test series, but the BIG news even bigger than the Big Bash - the BIG news that no doubt got your tongue wagging and prompted your query - the BIG news has got to be the ferocious display of terrific test cricket tactics that saw the Mighty Aussies WHALLOP the slippery Afrikaners in a record of less than two days. Bear in mind that South Africa is a Top 10 team - admittedly, ICC only records rankings for 10 teams. Nevertheless, this will go down in history as one of the greatest battles between two of the greatest teams in the great history of the greatest sport on earth.

You'd be forgiven for thinking the players had watched too much soccer these last few weeks, such was the preponderance of single digit score cards. When Steve 'Better than Bradman' Smith is out for 6 you know you're witnessing the GOAT elevating to even GOATier levels of GOATiness. If you like watching tall fellas hurl a hard red leather ball at 100 miles an hour in the genral direction of another man, only for the ball to skid on dirt, or bounce off some hard turf, or launch wildly off a divot, unpredictably careening into the stumps, flying several metres wide, or, hilariously, into the batsman's face, was this the match for you! It had it all, except batting and fielding.

The nation's - nay, the developed world's - collective skin is prickling in anticipation at the promise of more majestic match-play on Boxing Day. Don't blink or you might miss it.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
smellody
Owner
Posts: 12046
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: OR
Contact:

Re: Flaming Hot Summer of Scorching Hot Burning Cricket Heat - 2022/2023

Post by smellody » December 23rd 2022, 12:22am

jason_recliner wrote:
December 22nd 2022, 11:38pm
smellody wrote:
December 21st 2022, 12:22am
Any cricket 🏏 updates Mr. Undies?
Yes, thanks very much Doctor. What a scintillating beginning to another searing Aussie summer where too much cricket is barely enough.

Big Bash League is in, er, full swing, the Mighty Aussies dominated those plucky Caribbean chancers in a mercifully abbreviated two-match Test series, but the BIG news even bigger than the Big Bash - the BIG news that no doubt got your tongue wagging and prompted your query - the BIG news has got to be the ferocious display of terrific test cricket tactics that saw the Mighty Aussies WHALLOP the slippery Afrikaners in a record of less than two days. Bear in mind that South Africa is a Top 10 team - admittedly, ICC only records rankings for 10 teams. Nevertheless, this will go down in history as one of the greatest battles between two of the greatest teams in the great history of the greatest sport on earth.

You'd be forgiven for thinking the players had watched too much soccer these last few weeks, such was the preponderance of single digit score cards. When Steve 'Better than Bradman' Smith is out for 6 you know you're witnessing the GOAT elevating to even GOATier levels of GOATiness. If you like watching tall fellas hurl a hard red leather ball at 100 miles an hour in the genral direction of another man, only for the ball to skid on dirt, or bounce off some hard turf, or launch wildly off a divot, unpredictably careening into the stumps, flying several metres wide, or, hilariously, into the batsman's face, was this the match for you! It had it all, except batting and fielding.

The nation's - nay, the developed world's - collective skin is prickling in anticipation at the promise of more majestic match-play on Boxing Day. Don't blink or you might miss it.
Thanks for the cracking update!
User avatar
conjurer (Online)
Owner
Posts: 35571
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Flaming Hot Summer of Scorching Hot Burning Cricket Heat - 2022/2023

Post by conjurer » December 23rd 2022, 12:28am

smellody wrote:
December 23rd 2022, 12:22am
jason_recliner wrote:
December 22nd 2022, 11:38pm
smellody wrote:
December 21st 2022, 12:22am
Any cricket 🏏 updates Mr. Undies?
Yes, thanks very much Doctor. What a scintillating beginning to another searing Aussie summer where too much cricket is barely enough.

Big Bash League is in, er, full swing, the Mighty Aussies dominated those plucky Caribbean chancers in a mercifully abbreviated two-match Test series, but the BIG news even bigger than the Big Bash - the BIG news that no doubt got your tongue wagging and prompted your query - the BIG news has got to be the ferocious display of terrific test cricket tactics that saw the Mighty Aussies WHALLOP the slippery Afrikaners in a record of less than two days. Bear in mind that South Africa is a Top 10 team - admittedly, ICC only records rankings for 10 teams. Nevertheless, this will go down in history as one of the greatest battles between two of the greatest teams in the great history of the greatest sport on earth.

You'd be forgiven for thinking the players had watched too much soccer these last few weeks, such was the preponderance of single digit score cards. When Steve 'Better than Bradman' Smith is out for 6 you know you're witnessing the GOAT elevating to even GOATier levels of GOATiness. If you like watching tall fellas hurl a hard red leather ball at 100 miles an hour in the genral direction of another man, only for the ball to skid on dirt, or bounce off some hard turf, or launch wildly off a divot, unpredictably careening into the stumps, flying several metres wide, or, hilariously, into the batsman's face, was this the match for you! It had it all, except batting and fielding.

The nation's - nay, the developed world's - collective skin is prickling in anticipation at the promise of more majestic match-play on Boxing Day. Don't blink or you might miss it.
Thanks for the cracking update!
Are we talking about *sigh* cricket here or Kylie Rocket sucking enormous dick for a hot facial? Because, it it's not hot teen porn, I've pretty much lost all interest.
User avatar
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT
Posts: 10747
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Flaming Hot Summer of Scorching Hot Burning Cricket Heat - 2022/2023

Post by jason_recliner » December 23rd 2022, 12:58am

OK, OK, everybody calm down. If you can. Test Cricket is one thing, but surely T20 has usurped the mantle of the definitive form of the game. And, much like the World Cup is very good soccer (if there is such a thing) but everybody knows the best soccer (if there is such a thing) is Eurotrash Cup (or whetever they call it now), the best T20 (and there most definitely is such a thing) is Aussie on Aussie, Mano-a-Mano, BIG BASH LEAGUE. So really the most significant cricket played thus far on this scorching hot journey of searingly fierce burning summer cricket action is Perth Scorchers v (TBC) Stars.

What a definitive performance by the Scorchers, proving once and for all to the nags, hacks, naysayers, pundits, et al. that here is one team deserving of their hot moniker. Seasoned afficionados know it's at this point in the season that the most important battle is that for third and fourth place. And didn't the Mighty Scorchers just stamp their claim - or tenure, see what I did there? - on the critical no. 3 position with authority. And alacrity.

Perth now looks a sure thing for 2022/2023 BBL glory. And, going out on a limb, you'd be a fool not to bet big $$$ on the Mighty Eagles for AFL finalists. Maybe even Premiers. You read it here first.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Posts: 11414
Joined: November 25th 2012, 11:00pm
Contact:

Re: Flaming Hot Summer of Scorching Hot Burning Cricket Heat - 2022/2023

Post by 3Flushes » December 23rd 2022, 3:09am

I don't know about the game but the umpires are capital fun to watch. And judging by fan and commentator reactions to the plethora of contested replays the umps apparently have worse vision and judgement then their NFL counterparts have — if that is indeed humanly possible.s
^^^Copyright ©️ 2023 3flushes Media.^^^
User avatar
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT
Posts: 10747
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Flaming Hot Summer of Scorching Hot Burning Cricket Heat - 2022/2023

Post by jason_recliner » December 25th 2022, 4:39pm

The majestic Australian National Anthem. A rousing, emotional tribute to 'Warnie'. A sea of floppy white hats and zinc cream. Not a dry eye across the nation. Goosebumps.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT
Posts: 10747
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Flaming Hot Summer of Scorching Hot Burning Cricket Heat - 2022/2023

Post by jason_recliner » December 25th 2022, 4:51pm

3Flushes wrote:
December 23rd 2022, 3:09am
I don't know about the game but the umpires are capital fun to watch. And judging by fan and commentator reactions to the plethora of contested replays the umps apparently have worse vision and judgement then their NFL counterparts have — if that is indeed humanly possible.s
Yes indeed, the umpires have been known to provide some entertaining respite on particularly slow days. And a slow day in Test Cricket is slow. Two criteria for the job appear to be 60+ and ailing eyesight.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
Post Reply

Return to “The Recliner Sports Room”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest