Flaming Hot Summer of Scorching Hot Burning Cricket Heat - 2022/2023

jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Flaming Hot Summer of Scorching Hot Burning Cricket Heat - 2022/2023

Post by jason_recliner » October 19th 2022, 7:37pm

T20 is underway, ODI World Cup and Tests are a few sleeps away. Don't forget to check in for all the cricket results, cricket news, and spicy-hot insider cricket gossip.

Some golden moments from the world's greatest ever commentary partnership (see what I did there?) to kick us off:

And who could forget the greatest ever cricketer to become the greatest ever president of the greatest ever nation, Imran Khan? Before he became president he was interviewed on Australian late night TV:

You all know what's coming...

Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Re: Flaming Hot Summer of Scorching Hot Burning Cricket Heat - 2022/2023

Post by AlbertaTime » October 20th 2022, 5:35pm

Dreadlock Holiday (I Don't Like Cricket") was a 10CC song, not a Bob Marley song :-)

Eric Stewart and Graham Gouldman (1978)

But for more blue-eyed reggae, there's always...

Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » October 21st 2022, 5:18pm

Cricket? Is that the game where they play to a tie after a month of not hitting the ball and taking time out to drink tea? Something even slower than U.S. baseball does not stand much of a chance here in the States.

I seem to recall the grass is always immaculate on the field which explains why there doesn't seem to be a lot of action. Don't want to upset the groundskeeper.

Meanwhile, ESPN televises "quad ball" and break dancing competitons. WTF is quad ball and why is it a thing? And I keep hearing about pickle ball but I haven't a clue. Am I being "catfished" with all these weird games? Tell me they don't really exist. Am I using the term "catfished" correctly? I would ask one of my granddaughters but I don't need to further cement their opinions of my awareness of current trends or fashions.

Meanwhile, I'm abjectively addicted to U.S. college football with its interminable tv timeouts, 'play is under review' timeouts, 'players faking injury' timeouts, and idiotic play calling by the coaches which is only matched by the completely unpredictable behavior of the on-field combatants.
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » October 21st 2022, 9:07pm

bbattle wrote:
October 21st 2022, 5:18pm
Cricket? Is that the game where they play to a tie after a month of not hitting the ball and taking time out to drink tea? Something even slower than U.S. baseball does not stand much of a chance here in the States.
You make it sound like it's so fast paced it could be hard to keep up with the action. Yes, there's a lot going on, but it is spread out over five days.

If it thinks, it stinks
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » October 24th 2022, 4:28pm

Speaking of exciting sports Australians love and Americans have never heard of, I learned about Netball today.

Apparently, the Australian netball team needed a sponsor and the richest woman in Australia offered to pony up the money for the next 2-3 years. The team said no thanks, a previous owner of your company that's been dead for 30 years said some things that make us feel bad. Well, they had disparaging words to say about their would-be sponsor so the sponsor helped make them feel better by withdrawing their sponsorship.

The Netball Australia team instead have reached out to the Australian gambling industry to see if any of them are willing to take a gamble on funding their team. Which is highly hypocritical, given their statements about the gambling industry.

Netball was born when a girl's p.e. teacher in New Orleans misunderstood Naismith's rules of the game he invented, basketball. It's 7 on 7 and was intended right from the start to be for women, although some men do play but that's mostly in mixed sex teams. Once you have the ball, you can't move, so accurate passing and lots of defense are important in this game. No dribble basketball is what I saw.

jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » November 17th 2022, 3:51am

Let us never speak of the 2022 T20 World Cup ever again. Moving right along...

Brilliant white hot start to the scorching hot summer of summer Down Under blazing cricket action. The battle-hardened old foes, Oz vs Pomogolia, duking it out on the hallowed turf that is Adelaide Oval.

Australia looking like an upset win over the shifty tourists. As we like to tell foreigners, F##k Off We're Full!!!

If it thinks, it stinks

Return to “The Recliner Sports Room”