Really?

jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Really?

Post by jason_recliner » February 14th 2021, 3:28am

Is Australia unusually obsessed with sport? I've never come across a group of - to be fair, mostly - guys in my life who aren't very interested in sport like here on WL. Not a big deal at all, I just figured discussion of sports would be enthusiastic.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
codguy
ASSHAT

Re: Really?

Post by codguy » February 14th 2021, 7:43am

There are plenty here that are interested in sports.......... just not cricket nor tennis it appears.

Besides playing golf and participation in shooting sports, I love all things motorsports (but to be honest, only tolerate NASCAR ).

Unlimited Hydroplanes

Top Fuel Funnycar

-----> Have watched Formula1, Cart/Indy cars, IMSA, Group-C, NHRA, H1 Unlimited, NASCAR, Rallys, etc races in person, hope to watch an airplane race or two some day.........

edited for content x3
Last edited by codguy on February 14th 2021, 8:52am, edited 3 times in total.

"I’m picturing a guy in a helmet, trying to lick windows until the mailman stops by with a package. He takes the helmet off to admire his Invicta" - svaglic

Datsun240Z71
Founding Member - WIS

Post by Datsun240Z71 » February 14th 2021, 7:53am

I watch these sports:
NFL
College football
Auto racing: Road course racing , IndyCar, Formula 1, NASCAR (or NapCAR when they run the 3-4 hour big ovals, cause it puts me to sleep, except Daytona and Talladega)
Some pro basketball, ML baseball and college hoops

Not much interest in others.
Randy in Nashville
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by 3Flushes » February 14th 2021, 11:22am

conjurer wrote:
February 14th 2021, 9:13am
I normally love watching NFL football, but this year I really had little interest in it, to be honest.
+me

Generally an avid NFL and NHL fan. The Broncos playing so shitty was the primary reason for my disinterest this year. Next season is going to be different.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.^^^
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » February 14th 2021, 11:24am

Usually follow NFL and the SEC in football.

Watch MLB playoffs and World Series most years. Much prefer baseball in person but our nearest pro team is five hours away.

Grew up watching out three kids play tons of sports.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat
labman
Watchlord WIS

Post by labman » February 14th 2021, 12:47pm

Sports watched in this household

NHL
NFL
MLB
MMA
NASCAR/Indy/F1
Very little soccer
And when it is aired, Australian Rules Football - Rugby does not get aired here. I would love to watch Rugby, I had cousin who played international union for years, he was one of Queensland's best flankers for quite a while.

Cricket? Nope. :shrug:
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » February 14th 2021, 2:18pm

Big college football fan here. I live and breathe Alabama and SEC football in the fall.

I used to watch a lot more sports on tv but don't seem to have the time these days. I used to be a huge fan of the Boston Celtics, St. Louis Cardinals, Texas Rangers, Dallas Cowboys.

I live in NASCAR country but just call me for the last two laps and save me the 4 hours before. Many fans just watch to see a crash. The race cars are anything but stock. The race often comes down to which pit crew had the best choreographed moves to shave a second off the pit time. That's as bad as snow skiers and track sprinters winning by hundredths or even thousandths of a second.

Australian Rules comes on every now and then here and I like to watch it.

I tune into the winter olympics to get my curling fix and I'm good for another 4 years.

Same for the summer olympics so I can see the Danish women's beach volleyball players.

Sorry, but soccer is just too defensive oriented and it only gets worse once a team takes a 1-0 lead. No wonder the Brits would break out in brawls and in South America they have to build moats with barbed wire and guard dogs to keep the fans from attacking the players out of sheer boredom.

I also watch cycling. Tour Down Under was always the season opener for the big teams. Ritchie Porte won it several times and Robbie McEwan is a great commentator. He was my favorite sprinter when he raced because he'd be hiding in the pack then zip through an opening to take the win.

Don't get me started on cycling. I could discuss cycling all night.
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » February 14th 2021, 2:23pm

I’ve played a little of most here and there, mostly as a kid - but, in all honesty, have never been a tremendous fan of any particular stick-and-ball sport.

If the word “sport” is not preceded by the word “motor” then it is merely a game.
Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers...
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » February 14th 2021, 6:29pm

Yeah, cool. Great to hear a lot of you like your football. I don't mind American football, we just don't get a lot of it here, especially free to air. But I watch it at the bar sometimes. Hard and physical, it doesn't flow as fast as AFL as it's a lot more technical, it's more like rugby in that sense. But it's a great sport, a real spectacle, and there's no doubting the strength and athleticism of the players.

I used to be interested in cars racing around, probably up until my teens, but I don't really consider that real sport any more. I feel that sport should be inclusive, and should not rely excessively on equipment and wealth to be competitive.

Cricket isn't especially captivating and will probably never take off in a big way outside of those States where is has historical (Colonial) significance.

Although it is technically a 'football', I really can't be bothered with soccer. It's a bit like chopsticks vs forks. I don't understand how the Eurotrash countries can't see that USA and Australia and UK have now invented much more entertaining to watch much better versions of football and have not converted. Soccer is the Swatch of sports.

Tennis is fucking awesome!
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » February 14th 2021, 7:45pm

Played sport but never been a big sport watcher.

Probably the only thing I would stop and make time for are international rugby union tests.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
labman
Watchlord WIS

Post by labman » February 14th 2021, 8:22pm

bedlam wrote:
February 14th 2021, 7:45pm

Probably the only thing I would stop and make time for are international rugby union tests.
:Thumbsup:

My cuz participated in 26 test matches - to me rugby players are some of the toughest son of a bitches on the planet - pads? Who needs fucking pads!
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » February 14th 2021, 8:52pm

labman wrote:
February 14th 2021, 8:22pm
bedlam wrote:
February 14th 2021, 7:45pm

:Thumbsup:

My cuz participated in 26 test matches - to me rugby players are some of the toughest son of a bitches on the planet - pads? Who needs fucking pads!
Yeah, any man who would stand between Jonah Lomu and the touch line has balls of brass.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by smellody » February 25th 2021, 8:59am

None of it has any interest to me.

I will watch the Beavers smash the Ducks once a year for the Civil War (that is American College Footbal). College football coaches should NOT be paid more than $100,000 a year.

I like basketball, but our Portland Team are whiny, over paid, lazy, unmotivated (I think because they are mainly stoners). I get excited when they start doing good about every 10 years. Then I watch a game and they tank it by show boating and acting overconfident while making airbags.

Golf is a hobby for rich old men. I'm a man, but not rich.

Baseball is so SLOW. Yawn.

I played soccer (rest of the world's football) for nine years as a youth. Also played basketball in middle school.

I guess that is it. Can't think of any other sports I fancy.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » February 25th 2021, 1:29pm

Have been snowboarding with a 4 year break due to injuries from 2014 since 1978 when I purchased a pre-owned winterstick swallowtail and a second roundtail board. Also take the boat out and wakeboard and made my last jump in 2013 as I now have a incisional hernia from my emergency surgery back in 2013.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Winterstick round tail is yellow board in the middle, top row. And yes all of the boards are mine.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by smellody » February 25th 2021, 2:10pm

koimaster wrote:
February 25th 2021, 1:29pm

Have been snowboarding with a 4 year break due to injuries from 2014 since 1978 when I purchased a pre-owned winterstick swallowtail and a second roundtail board. Also take the boat out and wakeboard and made my last jump in 2013 as I now have a incisional hernia from my emergency surgery back in 2013.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Winterstick round tail is yellow board in the middle, top row. And yes all of the boards are mine.

Impressive equipment! I've skied twice and snowboarded once. I dislocated my shoulder the first time I skied and broke my left tibia snowboarding. If I was stuck at the top of the mountain with a gun on me I could make it to the bottom of the hill.

I do really enjoy innertubes and sleds. That is fun. Not a sport though. Just justification for sugar free hot chocolate.

Return to “The Recliner Sports Room”