Can cricket make it in the U.S.?

koimaster (Online)
Founder

Can cricket make it in the U.S.?

Post by koimaster » February 3rd 2021, 8:36pm

The storied British game of cricket was the top sport in the United States in the mid-1800s. Now, the backers of a new league believe Americans will once again embrace professional cricket — and they are putting their dollars behind a new league to prove it.

Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan and a host of Indian American tech executives, including Microsoft Chairman Satya Nadella, are among the prominent investors in Major League Cricket, a professional league that will begin playing matches in 2022. The league originally intended to launch later this year, but it pushed back operations because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

League co-founders say they hope to tap into a market of fans — the vast majority of whom hail from South Asia and the Caribbean — who yearn for the chance to root for a local professional team.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-amer ... e-n1255863

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
bedlam
WIS Divemaster
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Can cricket make it in the U.S.?

Post by bedlam » February 3rd 2021, 11:56pm

The short-forms of the game (20 - 50 overs) are likely to do well. One thing that might work is if the US forms some teams for an IPL like comp.

A properly international IPL like comp would be cool
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.

Nationalism: a profound longing to go back to a past that never existed.
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » February 4th 2021, 1:19am

Very interesting. America's population is large enough that it may be able to sustain a league, even if it would only ever be a niche sport.

What's the sporting landscape like in the USA? I understand that NFL, NBA and baseball are the main sports, but are they growing / steady / declining? Do most kids play and watch sport/s? Adults?

Here we mainly have football (AFL or rugby, more or less depending on geography) and cricket. Football is by far the most popular sport, and is loved by people of all ages, sexes, and walks of life. Cricket is nowhere near as broadly popular, but still has large legions of fans. The next 'tier' of popular sports - probably soccer, basketball, tennis - are a long way off in terms of viewing numbers, and (anecdotally) probably playing numbers.

AFL, in particular, just seems to get bigger and bigger every year. Cricket has also been boosted by the 20/20 format in recent years. I agree with Carl, it would be awesome to see some American teams playing in an international 20/20 series.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Pubbie » February 4th 2021, 7:52am

bedlam wrote:
February 3rd 2021, 11:56pm
The short-forms of the game (20 - 50 overs) are likely to do well. One thing that might work is if the US forms some teams for an IPL like comp.

A properly international IPL like comp would be cool
I read (seriously now) that American sports fans didn't have the patience for the depth of strategies and sheer length of gameplay in cricket that English sports fans do. Therefore a shorter match length would be needed. This makes sense - English fans love the skulduggery of cricket, whereas in the USA baseball is accompanied by hotdogs and a Baldwin organ :).

What other countries do about Test cricket I don't know - I suspect they play it because they love to have a go at beating England.

Someone I know once loudly declaimed cricket as "stupid" because the men ran back and forth. I asked him if running around a square was by definition any more dignified.
32771 (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Post by 32771 » February 4th 2021, 1:48pm

T20 would do well I think. Way better than baseball. Never found those matches boring compared to baseball.

I am surprised though there isn't a team in Florida, Miami area specifically. So many from the Caribbean now reside in central and southern Florida so it would seem there is a fan base already in place for a team.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » February 4th 2021, 1:57pm

Here's the thing about Americans and their sports...

If it is complex, it must involve brutal contact. See American Football and ice hockey.

If it is simple, it must involve fast play. See basketball.

If it involves fast cars, they must go in circles. See NASCAR.

If it is slow paced, it must involve beer, high fat food and bathroom breaks. See baseball.

Anything else will never make it big here. NEVER!
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » February 4th 2021, 5:33pm

biglove wrote:
February 4th 2021, 1:57pm

If it is complex, it must involve brutal contact. See American Football and ice hockey.

If it is slow paced, it must involve beer, high fat food and bathroom breaks. See baseball.

I agree with the above statements.

Cricket is too sedate. Anything slower than baseball will not make it in America. Except golf. Why golf is such a hit on tv in America, I'll never know. And I played it for many years.

However, there's a growing couch potato population that will watch anything, including people furiously sweeping ice in front of a block of granite sliding down ice before it hits other pieces of granite. I also don't understand the allure of soccer in this country; I think ESPN is desperately trying to foist the game upon us but I'm not buying it. 90 minutes of nil-nil and then some penalty kicks at the end. A lot of fake injury acting in between and drunk fans singing songs I don't recognize.
Watch Noob
Banned

Post by Watch Noob » February 4th 2021, 5:51pm

bbattle wrote:
February 4th 2021, 5:33pm
biglove wrote:

I agree with the above statements.

Cricket is too sedate. Anything slower than baseball will not make it in America. Except golf. Why golf is such a hit on tv in America, I'll never know. And I played it for many years.

However, there's a growing couch potato population that will watch anything, including people furiously sweeping ice in front of a block of granite sliding down ice before it hits other pieces of granite. I also don't understand the allure of soccer in this country; I think ESPN is desperately trying to foist the game upon us but I'm not buying it. 90 minutes of nil-nil and then some penalty kicks at the end. A lot of fake injury acting in between and drunk fans singing songs I don't recognize.
The pinnacle for me is the new hype of watching gamers play games. :mrgreen:
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Pubbie » February 5th 2021, 4:39am

biglove wrote:

That's about it :). Sport is closer to entertainment in the USA than it is in other countries. In South America and the Med, football is passion, and in England and Scotland its about tribalism.

Return to “The Recliner Sports Room”