Sri Lanka v England

koimaster
Founder

Sri Lanka v England

Post by koimaster » January 16th 2021, 5:32am

Joe Root progressed to a magnificent fourth Test double century before he was last man out for 228 as England lost their last six wickets for 49 runs.

Sam Curran and Jack Leach took a wicket apiece in Sri Lanka's second innings, but off-spinner Dom Bess rarely threatened on a pitch that has offered assistance to spin since day one.

Kusal Perera contributed 62 to an opening stand of 101 with the patient Thirimanne, who compiled his highest Test score since 2013 and will resume alongside nightwatchman Lasith Embuldeniya at 04:15 GMT on Sunday.

England all-rounder Moeen Ali, who tested positive for coronavirus upon arrival in Sri Lanka, spent time at the ground in the afternoon after finishing his quarantine period.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/55688776

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Re: Sri Lanka v England

Post by jason_recliner » January 16th 2021, 4:17pm

Thanks for the update Koi! Rarely have time to get to the pub these days so unless cricket is being played here in Australia I don't often get to see it.
Last edited by jason_recliner on January 16th 2021, 4:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Post by bbattle » January 17th 2021, 6:04pm

People have explained the basic rules of cricket to me yet when I read what Koi had posted it was all greek to me.

Somebody throws the ball; the batter just has to defend his wicket. If he doesn't want to run, he can just stand there all day, swatting balls left and right. Apparently, points are scored, people change places, and eventually, a winner is declared. I think in the not too distant past they "modernized" the rules to avoid those month long contests that ended in a tie but I really have no clue if that is true or not.

Then again, explaining American football to a foreigner can be just as crazy. Why are they standing around so much? Why do they wear so much padding? Why are they standing around so much?

We should all just watch rugby or Australian Rules. Lots of action, and scoring is straightforward.

Unlike soccer, where they go 90 minutes nil-nil, then have penalty kicks.

Another option is arena football, where they score all the time and the fans get to do the chicken dance more often than at hockey games.
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » January 17th 2021, 6:18pm

bbattle wrote:
January 17th 2021, 6:04pm
People have explained the basic rules of cricket to me yet when I read what Koi had posted it was all greek to me.

Somebody throws the ball; the batter just has to defend his wicket. If he doesn't want to run, he can just stand there all day, swatting balls left and right. Apparently, points are scored, people change places, and eventually, a winner is declared. I think in the not too distant past they "modernized" the rules to avoid those month long contests that ended in a tie but I really have no clue if that is true or not.

Then again, explaining American football to a foreigner can be just as crazy. Why are they standing around so much? Why do they wear so much padding? Why are they standing around so much?

We should all just watch rugby or Australian Rules. Lots of action, and scoring is straightforward.

Unlike soccer, where they go 90 minutes nil-nil, then have penalty kicks.

Another option is arena football, where they score all the time and the fans get to do the chicken dance more often than at hockey games.
Yes, it's a very technical and strategic game. AFL, Soccer, Hockey, tennis, are all relatively straightforward. I'd say it's closer to NFL or Rugby in terms of complexity, both games around which I cannot get my head.

Although in theory you could stand out there and not hit the ball very often, you'd never win. Best you could hope for is a draw. And there's a good chance that at some point you'd be bowled out, moving the opposition closer to a win.

There are the three formats - test cricket (up to five days, two innings each team, keep bowling until all batsmen are out), one day (up to 300 balls for each team), and 20/20 (up to 120 balls for each team).

I had no interest in the game until my early-mid 20s. Now I'm hooked.

Somebody once described the excitement of test cricket as similar to counting down from 10,000. Not much happens for a long time, but when you get near the end :mrgreen:

Anyway, this Australia v India test series has been great. Very tight, Australia will have to pull off something very special to win this fourth and final match. If they do, we win the series and regain the trophy. If we don't win, the match will likely be a draw, the series will be a draw, and India will retain the trophy. And, er, rule the Comonwealth for a year or something.

Apologies to everybody else ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :lol:
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks

Return to “The Recliner Sports Room”