IN-DEPTH: The Longines Conquest V.H.P. GMT “Flash Setting”

Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

IN-DEPTH: The Longines Conquest V.H.P. GMT “Flash Setting”

Post by Racer-X » January 4th 2019, 3:17pm

"The story in a second: A rare case of quartz having legit enthusiast appeal, albeit in a clever, and very novel, fashion. Say “it’s quartz” and countless watch nerds cringe; however, there have been some exceptions to the rule over the years. Of course, Grand Seiko Spring Drive calibers get a pass on account of the brand’s epic design and finishing, as well as the fact that they run a quartz oscillator in the place of the balance wheel, but everything else is done mechanically (to state things as simply as we can).

And then there’s the F.P. Journe Elegante 48, which is a completely different animal. Longines has also been toiling away in the battery-powered department, and their V.H.P. calibers, which were refreshed in 2017, carry with them some impressive specifications. Accurate to +/-5 seconds per year, Longines integrated a special functionality to these calibers that allows for internal correction for magnetism or shock via a “gear position sensor” that effectively can tell if things are out of whack and adjust the caliber as required. Weird, but clever for sure. With the GMT Flash Setting model, the brand pushed a step further and have basically created the most idiot-proof…"

https://timeandtidewatches.com/in-depth-the-longines-conquest-v-h-p-gmt-flash-setting/
biglove
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: IN-DEPTH: The Longines Conquest V.H.P. GMT “Flash Settin

Post by biglove » January 4th 2019, 8:25pm

I have had a hard on for the blue dial VHP Conquest since release. Another $1K for the flash accuracy GMT model? NFW.

One day...

https://www.prestigetime.com/Longines-C ... 99EALw_wcB
"I always complain because I'm old now and everything hurts."-Mike Rowe
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » January 4th 2019, 8:49pm

I rarely say of a modern watch that it's exciting. I rarely say of a quartz watch that it's exciting. But of the VHP I can say that alright. Not of the GMT version, though. Setting a watch with a smartphone? What the fuck for? Who'd ever have the need for such a thing? The basic VHP and the chrono version are great watches, that's for sure. This one? Nope.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
Budman2k

Post by Budman2k » January 20th 2020, 5:41pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
January 4th 2019, 8:49pm
I rarely say of a modern watch that it's exciting. I rarely say of a quartz watch that it's exciting. But of the VHP I can say that alright. Not of the GMT version, though. Setting a watch with a smartphone? What the fuck for? Who'd ever have the need for such a thing? The basic VHP and the chrono version are great watches, that's for sure. This one? Nope.
You can also set the watch with the crown instead of using the phone. I have to admit though, I think it's pretty damn cool using the "Flash" setting mode.

Definitely on my short list.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: IN-DEPTH: The Longines Conquest V.H.P. GMT “Flash Setting”

Post by TemerityB » January 21st 2020, 11:31am

Damn. You guys. Nice all the way around. No "soul," but really great watches.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster

Return to “The Longines Forum”