Legend … the Longines Legend Diver, that is

koimaster
Administrator/Founder
Facebook ID: 100000918104351

Legend … the Longines Legend Diver, that is

Post by koimaster » June 6th 2019, 8:22am

(On my very short list of watches I plan on owning)

Longines was making stellar heritage reissues well before it was cool. Case in point is the stylish ’60s-inspired Legend Diver, first released way back in 2007. And while it’s become de rigueur for most major brands to release one or two retro pieces a year, the Longines Legend Diver (LLD) pioneered the reissue genre, and still holds its own, thanks to a well-balanced trifecta of timeless good looks, clear vintage style and cracking value.

First off, let’s tackle the style. The internal rotating bezel and twin crowns of the Legend draw their inspiration from a type of dive watch that was popular in the ’60s and ’70s called the Super Compressor. Most dive watches rely on thick cases, crystals and gaskets to create an impermeable wall to keep moisture out. The Super Compressor’s approach, however, was slightly different. Developed by case-maker E. Piquerez SA (EPSA), it relied on the external pressure of the water to aid the water resistance of the watch – the deeper you went, the tighter the seal. It’s a clever system and was widely used by a range of watchmakers from the ’50s through to the ’70s – with notable examples including Jaeger-LeCoultre, IWC, Hamilton and, of course, Longines. A key feature of many of these watches is the dual crowns – one to deal with the time, the other handling the internal rotating bezel.

https://timeandtidewatches.com/longines ... er-review/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Legend … the Longines Legend Diver, that is

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » June 6th 2019, 10:34am

They got it a bit wrong with the movement. So far, the LLD did have the 2824 (L633), however this year it has been upgraded - new LLDs have the L888, which is a heavily redesigned 2892, running at 25 200 A/h, with a PR of 64h.
https://www.longines.com/watches/heritage-collection/l3-774-4-50-0

The one they have on the pictures is indeed the older 2824-powered version, ref. L3.674.4.50 The one with the new L888 is the L3.774.4.50.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas

Return to “The Longines Forum”