The Bronze Blue Bomber Begins A Pass Around Adventure!!!...

Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: The Bronze Blue Bomber Begins A Pass Around Adventure!!!

Post by Thunder1 » July 23rd 2019, 3:35am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:The Bomber is en route. Repeat: Bomber en route!

Damn fine news, sir!!... :D
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » July 23rd 2019, 8:44pm

What a great thread - awesome photos, a wonderful dog by any standard, great reviews, laughs, food ... this is about as much fun as adults are allowed to have, at least in my neighborhood.

And to think - there will be more. Oh, and even I have to admit, that watch is quite alright. I'm such a hard-ass, but it's a good watch and surprisingly attractive. Yeah, you guys are wearing down my reservations.
Listening to Justin Zimmer trying to explain Glycine watches on ShopPU is like listening to Pernell Roberts explain what beans make a good cup of coffee.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Pubbie » July 24th 2019, 4:16am

Falstaff wrote:So the Bomber is going to Pubbie is it? Well then Bomben auf Engeland!

It's on its way and I am LITERALLY shitting myself in excitement. In fact, laundry is why it's taken me this long to get online this morning.

I have the following lined up strap-wise:

Brown Nato
Black leather strap
HFH Nato
Grey Nato (this one will suck)
Tan leather strap

I am also browsing Aliexpress for new ones, willing to spend up to $5. I have a bunch of Aliexpress Natos in 20mm width which are indistinguishable from the £20 ones I bought locally, after they've been "processed" by expensive Swiss, uh, British logistics services following their arrival from Aliexpress.
Last edited by Pubbie on July 24th 2019, 4:19am, edited 1 time in total.
gerdson
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » July 24th 2019, 5:14am

Pubbie wrote:
Falstaff wrote:So the Bomber is going to Pubbie is it? Well then Bomben auf Engeland!

It's on its way and I am LITERALLY shitting myself in excitement. In fact, laundry is why it's taken me this long to get online this morning.

I have the following lined up strap-wise:

Brown Nato
Black leather strap
HFH Nato
Grey Nato (this one will suck)
Tan leather strap

I am also browsing Aliexpress for new ones, willing to spend up to $5. I have a bunch of Aliexpress Natos in 20mm width which are indistinguishable from the £20 ones I bought locally, after they've been "processed" by expensive Swiss, uh, British logistics services following their arrival from Aliexpress.

I included a strap (or is it then called bracelet, since it was metal) as well. Lord Bloke never bothered to mention it, and I didn't try to fit it either, but since I don't have and hopefully never will buy many 22mm lug wartches, I really had no use of it anyways. Plus it is bronze-ish, kind of (not 100% a match in color, otherwise it might actually go well).
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » July 24th 2019, 5:36am

As for that bracelet - one part of it fits, the other one doesn't...
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
gerdson
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » July 24th 2019, 6:39am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:As for that bracelet - one part of it fits, the other one doesn't...

Oh. Sorry, I did really not bother to take a closer look. I am not so much pro bracelets. You mean colour-wise, or size-wise?
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » July 24th 2019, 6:44am

Size. Just tenths of a mm, but while that's not a problem with leather, with a metal bracelet - it is.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » July 31st 2019, 1:46pm

Have to admit that the case is actually looking good with the patina. And I like shiny things. This whole bronze thing may be worth getting into.
"You can't fix stupid but you can sedate the hell out of it."-Youseff Achmed, MD

https://imgur.com/h3UXafB
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Pubbie » August 1st 2019, 4:45am

biglove wrote:Have to admit that the case is actually looking good with the patina. And I like shiny things. This whole bronze thing may be worth getting into.

Here's another pic on a different NATO. I remember thinking "ooh, with all that dial colour, a HFH NATO will look great" but it just swamps the watch and adding the yellow/orange tone of the case, and the lime green of the lume, the whole thing looks like a Gay Pride wrist band. Also it looks crap with the polished steel keepers. So I'll bin that later in favour of a self-consciously austere black leather strap and see how that looks.

Some initial thoughts:

- Blimey, it's in good nick and well looked after!
- Incredibly clear crystal and dial combo. Looks like it has dual AR coating and using the subtler grey tint, not the bright purple favoured by Omega, Breitling and others.
- Bezel a bit loud in operation but tight, lines up perfectly, has no backlash at all and I like the raised tab at 12. Brands that could learn a thing or two about making well-machined, properly aligned 120-click bezels: Oris, Seiko (obvs), Tudor, Christopher Ward and a name I thought should never be types, Rolex.
- Chocolate bezel insert colour is incredible.
- Great lume, It does fade, but still readable in the small hours.
- Flat on the wrist
- Lumed dial surround is a great little touch.

And some human-resources development points:

- It is big. 51mm lug to lug is just about OK on me but I wouldn't want it any bigger than this.
- That stamped chrome logo... not so much the shape, it looks fine on the crown, but cheap on the dial.
- Dial lume plots excellent for readability but they swamp the delicate handset a bit.
- the Patina is a bit too much for me. I'll leave it to build up but if it was mine, I'd probably give it a wipe down with whatever shit you normally use to get rid of it, and start it over.
- And the killer for me, just too many colours going on. There's bronze, brown, green lume, two dial blues, and red. And steel if you include the caseback. If the second hand was the same bronze PVD as the others, and a uniform blue dial, I'd prefer it.

Let's see how the timekeeping goes but it looks good so far after 24 hours. I'm also going to wear it ostentatiously over the weekend drinking beer, and see if it gets any eyeballs : )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » August 1st 2019, 6:07am

Actually, the Lug to Lug length is 49.5mm..that the lugs are curved helps the watch wear a little smaller...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Pubbie » August 1st 2019, 9:32am

Thunder1 wrote:Actually, the Lug to Lug length is 49.5mm..that the lugs are curved helps the watch wear a little smaller...

I only used a ruler and Mk 1 eyeball :). It does help yes, and the caseback is not bulbous so it doesn't stick out.

Anyway, back on something more suitable. Aaaaah, that's better. Fits me better on this too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gerdson
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » August 2nd 2019, 7:58am

:P
Awesome, triple-B in the land of Ale and pie. I am there as well, in Buckinghamshire, sitting in my truck camper and sipping beer. Er, ale of course. Bloody bottle is soon empty.
Ardnut since 1989

-- conjurer
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Pubbie » August 5th 2019, 4:52am

Righto chaps

Where is this off to next? More pics later on from the BBB in another very British (some might say German) institution, but I need to plan the next leg of its journey as I'm travelling on and off the next two weeks. I won't be able to get it moving until the 19th at the earliest, which gives me a good few weeks with it at least.

So who's up next, and in which part of the world?
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » August 5th 2019, 6:30am

Pubbie wrote:
August 5th 2019, 4:52am
Righto chaps

Where is this off to next? More pics later on from the BBB in another very British (some might say German) institution, but I need to plan the next leg of its journey as I'm travelling on and off the next two weeks. I won't be able to get it moving until the 19th at the earliest, which gives me a good few weeks with it at least.

So who's up next, and in which part of the world?
Smellody(Dr. Smells) is next up..pls send him a PM for his address(on the North West Coast)..and pics and comments pls!!!..
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Re: The Bronze Blue Bomber Begins A Pass Around Adventure!!!...

Post by biglove » August 5th 2019, 6:08pm

Heading back to the States. Nice.

Am I next after Smells? I believe his DNA is superior to mine, so if someone’s DNA has to wind up on my wrist, I CHOOSE DR. SMELLS’. 😂
"You can't fix stupid but you can sedate the hell out of it."-Youseff Achmed, MD

https://imgur.com/h3UXafB

Return to “Bronze Blue Bomber”