Glycine Bronze Combat Sub

A place for forum darlings and such.
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Glycine Bronze Combat Sub

Post by Thunder1 » May 1st 2019, 6:45pm

foghorn wrote:I am not influenced by the ghosts of Invicta past.
I like Glycine. I believe that they still operate out of a Swiss factory as they always have , and am starting to see hints of a "bizzaro world" WG mentality here. Instead of a blind devotion to Invicta (lo those many years ago) WL is showing an over done hate for Lalo and Invicta. It's old news and nobody takes them seriously anymore. WL has done it's job. Many hucksters have been exposed and deposed. All that is going on now is a regurgitation of ancient shit that gets nowhere.
Whoever is buying Invictas today are a small group of relatively passive people who congregate in a single forum. They know what's what and have decided that it's OK.
When (IF) Glycine starts to show a decline in quality then maybe it might be suggested that Invictas ownership is the cause. But keep in mind that Glycine had over sized and garish designs long before Invicta took ownership. They had a few Airman models that were Invicta like. And the winged logo was introduced pre-Invicta for those aluminum foil hat wearers
Skelton is gone and discredited. Same for Davis. Same for all the Invicta lies from the past. Same for Evine,SNBC,ValueVision , or whatever the fuck you want to call it.
Time to move the fuck on. No need to battle with ghosts when there is plenty of other pertinent shit to discuss.

MB&F anyone??

You just keep thinkin' Butch. That's what you're good at...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » May 1st 2019, 6:53pm

Hawk wrote:
Thunder1 wrote:Evening there, Hawk..might seem like a silly question, but does the hour hand on the dial rotate just once every 24 hours on your DC-4?

Not foolish at all. Yup - once every 24 hours. Very handy when travelling outside the USA.

Mucho gracias...I picked up the Glycine 'The Chief' a couple of weeks ago..and no, the hour hand on the dial did not move across the dial face once every 24 hours..the red 24 hour did, and that is what one uses to keep track of the local time..I sent it back..it even confused a watch maker I deal with in Austin(he thought the movement was geared incorrectly)..Ashford Customer Service informed me that several buyers faced the same quandary and sent them back..I'll take a look at the DC-4.. :???:
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » May 2nd 2019, 7:56am

Thunder1 wrote:Mucho gracias...I picked up the Glycine 'The Chief' a couple of weeks ago..and no, the hour hand on the dial did not move across the dial face once every 24 hours..the red 24 hour did, and that is what one uses to keep track of the local time..I sent it back..it even confused a watch maker I deal with in Austin(he thought the movement was geared incorrectly)..Ashford Customer Service informed me that several buyers faced the same quandary and sent them back..I'll take a look at the DC-4.. :???:

The 12 hour sweep with GMT hand is the more normal layout these days - probably by a substantial margin. Perhaps especially given that Rolex uses the 12 hour sweep with the GMT master with the GMT hand usable for a third time zone or Explorer II with the fixed bezel working like a champ for two time zones. Interestingly enough Rolex's own description of the Explorer II suggests the GMT hand is a "day - night" indicator but it adjusts separately making it a very usable two zone GMT.

Actual "military time" watches have gotten a bit scarce.

As I recall the "Purist" designation for Glycine's military time product used to be easier to pick out from the double 12s but this is no doubt a function of the individual retailer. With Gnomon I found the information buried deep in a long description. And it spans models - the "Purist" version was on the DC-4 and the "Noon" that Gnomon is sold out of and probably a number of other models.

Yours was of the more normal layout and, as the Rewster pointed out in a long ago thread, the military time product is a little unintuitive at first. I suppose its only advantage is after you've been pummeled by the airlines, you've spent over 30 hours in the air and wandering around airports and the Scotch has been flowing freely it's impossible to confuse noon with midnight - one is 12:00, the other is 0:00. Mine still gets used regularly.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » May 2nd 2019, 8:07am

conjurer wrote:So, do all the Airman models feature a 24 sweep of the hour hand? I can't stand 24 hour watches. They make me fucking spew.

I'd guess most do not. They're mostly of the 12 hour sweep type like your Exploder Deux except with a movable bezel - kinda GMT Master-ish.

One had to go hunting for one which makes you spew - which, of course, I did exactly that. Though for different reasons.
...bobbee
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » May 2nd 2019, 8:09am

Hawk wrote:
conjurer wrote:So, do all the Airman models feature a 24 sweep of the hour hand? I can't stand 24 hour watches. They make me fucking spew.

I'd guess most do not. They're mostly of the 12 hour sweep type like your Exploder Deux except with a movable bezel - kinda GMT Master-ish.

One had to go hunting for one which makes you spew - which, of course, I did exactly that. Though for different reasons.

The DC-4 makes my dick stiff; however, if it's 24 hr, not only would I lose my hardon, but it would make me fucking spew.
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » May 2nd 2019, 8:16am

conjurer wrote:
Hawk wrote:

The DC-4 makes my dick stiff; however, if it's 24 hr, not only would I lose my hardon, but it would make me fucking spew.

Insofar as the DC-4 which indeed is 24 hour is usually deployed in lounges run by Thai Air, Emirates or Cathay Pacific your bone-are would be safe.

...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » May 2nd 2019, 8:22am

And, in true Watchlords tradition, we've gone from bronze to stainless, Combat Subs to Airmen, patina to the lack thereof, the spewability of 24 hour watches, the EEOC-free hiring practices of Asian airlines all while briefly alighting on the Lalo topic.

Well done all!
...bobbee
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » May 2nd 2019, 8:33am

As much as I enjoy beating off to hot Asian broads, could somebody tell me if this wartche:

is 24 or 12 hour sweep? It gives me wood. I can always flush the ghey-ass NATO down the fucking toilet.

Thanks!

**(@
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by foghorn » May 2nd 2019, 8:44am

conjurer wrote:As much as I enjoy beating off to hot Asian broads, could somebody tell me if this wartche:

is 24 or 12 hour sweep? It gives me wood. I can always flush the ghey-ass NATO down the fucking toilet.

Thanks!

12 hour. No 1-12 markings on the 24 hour dial. The purist also had no GMT hand,I believe.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by foghorn » May 2nd 2019, 8:49am

Hawk wrote:And, in true Watchlords tradition, we've gone from bronze to stainless, Combat Subs to Airmen, patina to the lack thereof, the spewability of 24 hour watches, the EEOC-free hiring practices of Asian airlines all while briefly alighting on the Lalo topic.

Well done all!

Well there's always this

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » May 2nd 2019, 8:52am

foghorn wrote:
conjurer wrote:As much as I enjoy beating off to hot Asian broads, could somebody tell me if this wartche:

Thanks!

12 hour. No 1-12 markings on the 24 hour dial. The purist also had no GMT hand,I believe.

Thanks, foggy! You're a real pal! I might order me one of these cocksuckers.

**(@
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » May 2nd 2019, 9:10am

I believe the rewster is correct. Which, in turn, would suggest that this guy is wrong - or confused or at least writes in a confusing manner.

https://www.watchuseek.com/review-glycine-airman-dc-4/

I believe the DC-4 came in both versions which seems to have crossed up the WUS guy at least partially as he speaks of the DC-4 displaying only 24 hour time then proceeds to include pictures of one that displays a 12 hour track with GMT hand.

It is I would suppose fair to assume that Glycine can be confusing.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » May 2nd 2019, 10:29am

I had missed that whole Glycine era. Certainly lends credence to the idea that, much like a tachyon, Lalo got there long before Lalo ever got there. If anything they seem to have found their muse and departed from the Nixon / Diesel influence.

My Thai wife informs me that she grew up thinking in military time. Everything she has that can be persuaded into a digital format is in 24 hour but they have no issues with 12 hour analog watches or clocks nor do they seem taken aback if a 12 clock is just down the hall from a 24 hour clock.

Different cultures I suppose - she refuses to take a side in the 12 v 24 question. Then again I've not met a Thai yet that didn't view DST as a form of mass insanity.
...bobbee
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Post by koimaster » July 22nd 2019, 3:48pm

As a follow up on this watch, I much prefer the green bezel SS version which I put shark mesh on. I find myself wearing this less and less. It does not leave a mark on my skin nor irritate it, it just is not my first choice when I reach for the watch boxes.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."

Return to “Glycine”