Glycine Bronze Combat Sub

A place for forum darlings and such.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Re: Glycine Bronze Combat Sub

Post by foghorn » April 30th 2019, 2:43pm

I have 2 Glycines purchased since the Invicta deal. Both solid, accurate watches that meet ,no doubt in my mind, Swiss Made requirements. One is a Selitta and the other is ETA. Much like other manufacturers they use both. ETA isn't making unlimited supplies available to those outside of Swatch group. I'm sure some things ( cases,hands, crystals and the like) are sourced from Asia,but this is a common practice among the "non-luxury" brands. Hamilton, Tissot,Victorinox and others all do it. Seiko too,Seiko manufactures tons of non JDM watches in Asian locales thet aren't in Japan.
You shouldn't have a problem selling your 42mm for what you paid for it.
Not everyone is afraid of the Invicta connection. Lots of satisfied Glycine owners here and elsewhere. Let me know if you are selling-I might know an interested party-those are in demand.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by 3Flushes » April 30th 2019, 3:26pm

Could they meet the level of marking them Swiss if Hemorex made, say cases, dials, and whatnot to the Swissness limits, shipped it off to the Cheese-hands for casing up a movement from who really knows where, assemblage and so on?

Everyone is happy with these other than a lot of negativity about the strap and some about the un-plated back. From what I can tell, the metal is a good grade based on what they say they use, apparently ETA (right?) movement and they are cool looking- point being- really decent watch for the money with no need for the phony birth certificate. If it is.
Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.
foghorn

Post by foghorn » April 30th 2019, 3:37pm

3Flushes wrote:Could they meet the level of marking them Swiss if Hemorex made, say cases, dials, and whatnot to the Swissness limits, shipped it off to the Cheese-hands for casing up a movement from who really knows where, assemblage and so on?

Everyone is happy with these other than a lot of negativity about the strap and some about the un-plated back. From what I can tell, the metal is a good grade based on what they say they use, apparently ETA (right?) movement and they are cool looking- point being- really decent watch for the money with no need for the phony birth certificate. If it is.

ETA or Sellita. Whichever is available at time of manufacture. The Gnomon site states this in their descriptions. C. Ward also did the same.
The majority of bronze watches have unplated S/S case backs. Common watch industry stuff. Not Invicta stuff.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » April 30th 2019, 4:52pm

ETA-Sellita- potato-potahto - plating is no big deal, the best of it sucks hind tit and will look like shit before it finally disappears, the good CS, and real facilities in Switzerland in is not Invicta stuff, either.

Given that Glycine is not even a reasonable facsimile of Invicta, it would seem that IWG has been fairly hands off and whatever's going on there at Glycine is business as usual, good watch for a good price, and maybe a little poetic license with the Swissness.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » April 30th 2019, 10:43pm

3Flushes wrote:Given that Glycine is not even a reasonable facsimile of Invicta, it would seem that IWG has been fairly hands off and whatever's going on there at Glycine is business as usual, good watch for a good price, and maybe a little poetic license with the Swissness.

For now. We'll see if it lasts.

As foggy states above, most mid-range Swiss watch cases (among other things) are generally made in China. This keeps the price down, and keeps mid-range Swiss watches, well, mid-range.

However, nothing that Eyal has touched has turned into gold. If it gains him a few dollars to turn Glycine into shit, he will do it. We all know he will.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
tiktok

Post by tiktok » May 1st 2019, 12:55am

codguy wrote:Ahahahahahahahahahaha.................. nope.

What's the return policy with Ashford again ?? Mine is wrapped in the original condom.

Dang. I was really hoping to see another pic of a really scary, manly gun.
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » May 1st 2019, 3:26am

Folks, I think Glycines are manufactured in a similar manner as other mid-range watches..here is an excerpt from a letter Glycine sent me(similar to Koi's)…

Hi Chuck

movement declaration is GL224 Swiss automatic movement.
We are using Sellita or ETA.

Our watches are SWISS MADE.
(subject guidelines / regulations)

Freundliche Grüsse / Best regards

GLYCINE WATCH SA
Nadia Brunner
Sales Administration

Ring 18
CH - 2502 Biel/Bienne

Tel ++41 32 341 22 13
Fax ++41 32 341 22 16
[email protected]
www.glycine-watch.ch
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » May 1st 2019, 5:03am

tiktok wrote:Dang. I was really hoping to see another pic of a really scary, manly gun.

Booooo

Have more pictures if desired. I've displayed a couple of my manly guns tok, now its your turn. A pink .380 does not count.

Back on topic.......... was on the fence purchasing this thing to begin with (despite the lame stainless caseback).
I liked the look, price was right and it doesn't have a gay snowflake hour hand.

I still have some time before I decide what to do, but I am honestly queasy about the lalo connection.

foghorn

Post by foghorn » May 1st 2019, 6:12am

codguy wrote:I liked the look, price was right and it doesn't have a gay snowflake hour hand.

I still have some time before I decide what to do, but I am honestly queasy about the lalo connection.

Paranoia will destroy ya.

If you wanted it you'd be wearing it by now.
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » May 1st 2019, 7:05am

foghorn wrote:
codguy wrote:I liked the look, price was right and it doesn't have a gay snowflake hour hand.

If you wanted it you'd be wearing it by now.

Was a fence sitter from day one on this one. Guess it didn't really sing to me.

3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » May 1st 2019, 11:11am

conjurer wrote:
3Flushes wrote:Given that Glycine is not even a reasonable facsimile of Invicta, it would seem that IWG has been fairly hands off and whatever's going on there at Glycine is business as usual, good watch for a good price, and maybe a little poetic license with the Swissness.

For now. We'll see if it lasts.

As foggy states above, most mid-range Swiss watch cases (among other things) are generally made in China. This keeps the price down, and keeps mid-range Swiss watches, well, mid-range.

However, nothing that Eyal has touched has turned into gold. If it gains him a few dollars to turn Glycine into shit, he will do it. We all know he will.

Wholly agreed- I was strictly speaking to the here and now, which for now, makes these look a-OK to me pending potential (likely) future posts regarding hands falling off, refusals to honor the warranty, and so on and so forth.

Get them while you can get them good. (I think that's how that old saw goes).
Last edited by 3Flushes on May 1st 2019, 11:32am, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » May 1st 2019, 11:24am

I'm enamored enough of 24 hour watches that I snagged a Glycine "Purist" a while back.

The actual 24 hour versions seem to have gotten relatively thin on the ground post-Lalo. Or, I suppose, they're still there but buried amid the "Double 12's" sufficiently deep that they appear to be hiding.

foghorn

Post by foghorn » May 1st 2019, 12:38pm

Hawk wrote:I'm enamored enough of 24 hour watches that I snagged a Glycine "Purist" a while back.

The actual 24 hour versions seem to have gotten relatively thin on the ground post-Lalo. Or, I suppose, they're still there but buried amid the "Double 12's" sufficiently deep that they appear to be hiding.

Gnomon got some in a few days back. Nearly all are sold out now.
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » May 1st 2019, 12:57pm

foghorn wrote:
Gnomon got some in a few days back. Nearly all are sold out now.

You weren't kidding - they're gone.

But I only need one. It's still the berries if you're going to be spending 30 hours or so in non-US airports. It's usually easy enough to convert 12 hour to 24 but between jet lag, age and free booze it becomes somewhat less easy. That's when the "Purist" shines.
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » May 1st 2019, 4:18pm

Hawk wrote:I'm enamored enough of 24 hour watches that I snagged a Glycine "Purist" a while back.

Evening there, Hawk..might seem like a silly question, but does the hour hand on the dial rotate just once every 24 hours on your DC-4?
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » May 1st 2019, 4:43pm

codguy wrote:
tiktok wrote:Dang. I was really hoping to see another pic of a really scary, manly gun.

Booooo

Have more pictures if desired. I've displayed a couple of my manly guns tok, now its your turn. A pink .380 does not count.

Back on topic.......... was on the fence purchasing this thing to begin with (despite the lame stainless caseback).
I liked the look, price was right and it doesn't have a gay snowflake hour hand.

Me as well. With that said if Glycine has lied to us about the watches, we have the proof in writing claiming they are swiss made. I think I am going to take a wait and see approach. Right now they are dumping these for prices pretty well below historic prices and the ashford price was a good one.

Boo! I am sending out SEEL TEEM 1 Bingo Charlie Angel 21 :mrgreen: with a blood winged aviator as teem leeder.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
foghorn

Post by foghorn » May 1st 2019, 6:25pm

I am not influenced by the ghosts of Invicta past.
I like Glycine. I believe that they still operate out of a Swiss factory as they always have , and am starting to see hints of a "bizzaro world" WG mentality here. Instead of a blind devotion to Invicta (lo those many years ago) WL is showing an over done hate for Lalo and Invicta. It's old news and nobody takes them seriously anymore. WL has done it's job. Many hucksters have been exposed and deposed. All that is going on now is a regurgitation of ancient shit that gets nowhere.
Whoever is buying Invictas today are a small group of relatively passive people who congregate in a single forum. They know what's what and have decided that it's OK.
When (IF) Glycine starts to show a decline in quality then maybe it might be suggested that Invictas ownership is the cause. But keep in mind that Glycine had over sized and garish designs long before Invicta took ownership. They had a few Airman models that were Invicta like. And the winged logo was introduced pre-Invicta for those aluminum foil hat wearers
Skelton is gone and discredited. Same for Davis. Same for all the Invicta lies from the past. Same for Evine,SNBC,ValueVision , or whatever the fuck you want to call it.
Time to move the fuck on. No need to battle with ghosts when there is plenty of other pertinent shit to discuss.

MB&F anyone??
Last edited by foghorn on May 1st 2019, 6:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » May 1st 2019, 6:28pm

Thunder1 wrote:Evening there, Hawk..might seem like a silly question, but does the hour hand on the dial rotate just once every 24 hours on your DC-4?

Not foolish at all. Yup - once every 24 hours. Very handy when travelling outside the USA.

Return to “Glycine”