Invicta Glycine - So it begins - death of Glycine

A place for forum darlings and such.
koimaster
Founder

Invicta Glycine - So it begins - death of Glycine

Post by koimaster » February 14th 2017, 11:01am

glycine 1.JPG

http://glycine-watch.ch/collection/incursore/

Glycine’s first real oversize watch to trigger the trend towards big time keepers in leading markets. The word Incursore means „intruder“, and intrusion is properly what this watch produced in many countries. With diameters up to 46mm, strikingly strong-looking steel cases, giant steel crowns and big dials, this new watch generation forced its way into the watch market and created a new trend.

Their functionality and style live up to the modern criteria for industrial design, while their technical performance is a match for all expectations in military and civil use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Re: Invicta Glycine - So it begins - death of Glycine

Post by eddiea » February 14th 2017, 11:16am

Glycine and Invicta makes sense, they made some pretty oversized watches long before the Invicta buyout like the Glycine, 53mm "Airman 7" Ref.3829 , quality control was lacking so no surprises they went under at the end...
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Post by TemerityB » February 14th 2017, 1:50pm

Please, please tell me it's got a Flame Delusion crystal so I can buy three! Or maybe they have 1 on the crooz ship so i can buy one from Ello Laling himself!!!!

and eye luv all them typoos on thayt webslight two -maks mee feeul write et hom!
Last edited by TemerityB on February 14th 2017, 2:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » February 14th 2017, 2:44pm

codguy wrote:Attached hands? They must be new old stock................

:lol:
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
Mark1

Post by Mark1 » February 14th 2017, 3:00pm

eddiea wrote:Glycine and Invicta makes sense, they made some pretty oversized watches long before the Invicta buyout like the Glycine, 53mm "Airman 7" Ref.3829 , quality control was lacking so no surprises they went under at the end...

And where are you getting this "quality control lacking" information? I have not seen any preponderance of issues with the brand and I even searched to try and uncover it. An isolated forum post here or there and that is it. Of course that will likely change post Invicta. In the interest of full disclosure I have owned two Glycines 40-42 mm for several years with no issues. The Airman 7 watch you refer to is large, me thinks because it has three separate automatic movements in the case. Other than that model their watches are pretty reasonably sized.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » February 14th 2017, 4:58pm

Mark1 wrote:
eddiea wrote:Glycine and Invicta makes sense, they made some pretty oversized watches long before the Invicta buyout like the Glycine, 53mm "Airman 7" Ref.3829 , quality control was lacking so no surprises they went under at the end...

And where are you getting this "quality control lacking" information? I have not seen any preponderance of issues with the brand and I even searched to try and uncover it. An isolated forum post here or there and that is it. Of course that will likely change post Invicta. In the interest of full disclosure I have owned two Glycines 40-42 mm for several years with no issues. The Airman 7 watch you refer to is large, me thinks because it has three separate automatic movements in the case. Other than that model their watches are pretty reasonably sized.

I've been overall pleased with the pre-Lalo I got but I would be compelled to note that the cyclops on the 1953 is a wonderful reminder of how only Rolex and Ball get that particular thing right.

There may, of course, be others but being limited by my own personal experience the Glycine cyclops is not notably better than that provided on TV brands.

The rest of the "purist" variation? To be honest I like it a lot.

Then again at around 42mm it is a lady's watch.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » February 14th 2017, 5:06pm

When I refer to the death of Glycine, I refer to Invicta turning a small company with a niche following (pre-inflicta) to another technomarine failure.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » February 14th 2017, 5:26pm

"Trend for bigger timekeepers." Aaarghhh. Glycine was making pretty bad-looking and dreadfully oversized contemporary Airman models for quite some time already, but now it looks like they want to change their target group to elephants.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » February 14th 2017, 10:21pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:"Trend for bigger timekeepers." Aaarghhh. Glycine was making pretty bad-looking and dreadfully oversized contemporary Airman models for quite some time already, but now it looks like they want to change their target group to elephants.

Alas, Mr. Bloke, there is no Glycine anymore. Possibly there's some Swiss fellow in his office in Bienne or whereeverthefuck, possibly with one of those weird bird toys that dips its beak in a glass of water on his desk, and the Swiss fellow's name might be on the frosted glass door to the office, but he's not in charge any longer. He who pays the fiddler calls the tune, and right now, the tunes are getting called from Hollywood, Florida, by a Panamanian parvenue who wears too-tight polo shirts, has a tenuous grasp on the English language, and the horological taste of a watchgeek who lives in his mother's basement and regularly ejaculates into a plastic love doll named Konnie Kunnkle.

Glycine has disappeared into the revolting maw of the Invicta Watch Group. Whatever life is left in the Glycine brand will soon be sucked out, leaving a lifeless shell. Eyal Lalo is the said Panamanian. He has, apparently, an inexhaustable checkbook. He sells absolutely horrific fucking shit on American TeeVee, mainly to people who will happily line up to get sodomized by his awful company.

Why did Eyal buy Glycine? Who knows? Only Eyal, and Eyal ain't posting about it on Faces-Books. Others have come before Eyal, and certainly others will come after him, but Eyal always wins. For all those who bought pre-Eyal Glycines, good for you. Soon, the Swiss fellow will be out of the office, and the factory will close, and Glycines will be made in Hong Kong. Behold Eyal, the destroyer of worlds!
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » February 15th 2017, 10:11am

codguy wrote:Unfortunately all the pre-lalo Glycine's will be tarnished/cheapened by the crap wartches that followed them in manufacturing.

Probably, but that seems to be reflected in the pricing as the dealers scramble to rid themselves of the albatross. I can tolerate a lot of tarnished prestige for 1,800.00 less than it would have cost me before. One doesn't expect much panache out of a 690.00 wartch.

Dangle that price in front of me and I'm doomed due to a weakness for quirky 24 hour watches and GMTs - especially when the two are combined.
eddiea

Post by eddiea » February 15th 2017, 11:12am

Mark1 wrote:

Personally , I briefly owned a brand new Golden Eye with a faulty bezel, that doesn't mean all were faulty, you owning two with no issues means nothing other than you are lucky... that been said,
Issues with Glycine quality (prior to Invicta) have been around for years and they are not isolated posts, some prompting a reply from Glycine ... now of course under Invicta ownership, they are as good as garbage . here couple quick examples....
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f18/reply- ... 60447.html
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/glycine ... 43304.html
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f18/anothe ... 87487.html
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » February 15th 2017, 3:13pm

conjurer wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:"Trend for bigger timekeepers." Aaarghhh. Glycine was making pretty bad-looking and dreadfully oversized contemporary Airman models for quite some time already, but now it looks like they want to change their target group to elephants.

Alas, Mr. Bloke, there is no Glycine anymore. Possibly there's some Swiss fellow in his office in Bienne or whereeverthefuck, possibly with one of those weird bird toys that dips its beak in a glass of water on his desk, and the Swiss fellow's name might be on the frosted glass door to the office, but he's not in charge any longer. He who pays the fiddler calls the tune, and right now, the tunes are getting called from Hollywood, Florida, by a Panamanian parvenue who wears too-tight polo shirts, has a tenuous grasp on the English language, and the horological taste of a watchgeek who lives in his mother's basement and regularly ejaculates into a plastic love doll named Konnie Kunnkle.

Glycine has disappeared into the revolting maw of the Invicta Watch Group. Whatever life is left in the Glycine brand will soon be sucked out, leaving a lifeless shell. Eyal Lalo is the said Panamanian. He has, apparently, an inexhaustable checkbook. He sells absolutely horrific fucking shit on American TeeVee, mainly to people who will happily line up to get sodomized by his awful company.

Why did Eyal buy Glycine? Who knows? Only Eyal, and Eyal ain't posting about it on Faces-Books. Others have come before Eyal, and certainly others will come after him, but Eyal always wins. For all those who bought pre-Eyal Glycines, good for you. Soon, the Swiss fellow will be out of the office, and the factory will close, and Glycines will be made in Hong Kong. Behold Eyal, the destroyer of worlds!

Well, Mr. Conjurer, I have to agree with your assessment of what are things like with Glycine. Upon hearing of Invicta having purchased Glycine, I have encountered a fair bit of opinions, that it won't be really profitable for Invicta to kill off Glycine as it is, but that Invicta would rather invest in promoting the brand and not really changing the brand's current collection or the production standards, in order to have a more "civilised" brand as well, one that won't share the same target group with Invicta itself. Which would be reasonable, but then again, the aforementioned Panamanian is known more for fucking things up rather than making them any better (now that's optimistic) or at least keeping them as they are.

Glycine's contemporary designs were pretty bad for quite a while already, with the Airman chronographs in black PVD with rose gold bezels, pushers, crowns and inserts being the creme de la creme of 21st century kitsch. So all that Eyal the Destroyer of Worlds can fuck up, is withdrawing the non-Invictesque designs (Airman Vintage line), and fucking up all the rest (which now we know he will do, that Incursore is likely only a hint of what could happen next).

Regarding Watchgeeks, as I've said, never heard of that forum before I joined Watchlords, and when I did, Watchgeeks was already dead and buried. So I can only try to imagine the typical "watchgeek", dwelling in his cockroach-infested trailer or indeed a basement, surrounded by cardboard parcels from Bovine and Invicta display cases, indulging in joyfully shagging the plastic fantastic imitation of the (not any less plasticky) late Ms. Kunkle.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
Mark1

Post by Mark1 » February 15th 2017, 3:59pm

eddiea wrote:
Mark1 wrote:

Personally , I briefly owned a brand new Golden Eye with a faulty bezel, that doesn't mean all were faulty, you owning two with no issues means nothing other than you are lucky... that been said,
Issues with Glycine quality (prior to Invicta) have been around for years and they are not isolated posts, some prompting a reply from Glycine ... now of course under Invicta ownership, they are as good as garbage . here couple quick examples....

I see your point, two posts from 2009 and one from 2010. Likewise, your owning one with an issue seems to be nothing other than you are unlucky. Just saying. Some of the stuff I see people defending really boggles the mind when they want to bag on an established brand, and then go back 7 and 8 years to justify it.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
eddiea

Post by eddiea » February 15th 2017, 4:20pm

Mark1 wrote:
eddiea wrote:
Mark1 wrote:

I see your point, two posts from 2009 and one from 2010. Likewise, your owning one with an issue seems to be nothing other than you are unlucky. Just saying. Some of the stuff I see people defending really boggles the mind when they want to bag on an established brand, and then go back 7 and 8 years to justify it.

Have nothing agains the brand that always found rather bland sans couple model I liked , in their heyday a budget oriented , adequate brand that today days is irrelevant , just showing you couple samples of complaints, there are more if you dig deep enough ...likewise , some of the stuff I see people defending really boggles the mind went they want to turn a blind eye to the facts.
Mark1

Post by Mark1 » February 15th 2017, 4:49pm

eddiea wrote:
Mark1 wrote:
eddiea wrote:
Mark1 wrote:

Have nothing agains the brand that always found rather bland sans couple model I liked , in their heyday a budget oriented , adequate brand that today days is irrelevant , just showing you couple samples of complaints, there are more if you dig deep enough ...likewise , some of the stuff I see people defending really boggles the mind went they want to turn a blind eye to the facts.

Fair enough. It's probably best to leave it here. I thought your comments were unfair related to pre-Invicta Glycine, they don't reflect my limited experience with the brand, hence my reply. To each their own. The blind eye could be applied to any watch brand with any history depending on an individuals bias.
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » February 15th 2017, 6:21pm

Have been fortunate (apparently) with both my Golden Eye combat sub and my hand wound KMU48. No issues, seem solid, keep good time. If you find one that appeals to you, now is the time to buy. Dealers are dumping the pre-Invicters like coal barons do toxic mine tailings.
"Open the pod bay doors, Hal." "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » February 15th 2017, 6:23pm

Mark1 wrote:Fair enough. It's probably best to leave it here. I thought your comments were unfair related to pre-Invicta Glycine, they don't reflect my limited experience with the brand, hence my reply. To each their own. The blind eye could be applied to any watch brand with any history depending on an individuals bias.

I don't want to get in the way of this reasonable discussion, but I'll make my own semi-related point: I wouldn't get within 200 yards of Doxa or Helson based on what I've read about them on this very forum. Others really like them. I could be wrong about both. Yet, my red flag goes up based on what I've read. And i know a guy who bought a Seiko Astron that literally slid apart like a freshly made Dagwood sandwich. I think it's logical to think of such things when considering a watch, or a brand. It's only natural.

To echo the esteemed Mr. staff: Yeah, old stock Glycines are everywhere. Even at retail I'm seeing markdowns.

Return to “Glycine”