New Combat Sub

A place for forum darlings and such.
studmuffin

New Combat Sub

Post by studmuffin » January 26th 2021, 10:19pm

I received my Glycine Combat Sub today (GL0082). As others have noted, there have been some changes post Invicta. The wording on the dial for one has changed, plus the new winged logo.

I read several reviews which said pre Invicta the bracelet used the pin and collar system. Mine didn’t, but the pins were so tight I had to take it to a repair shop to remove a link on one side of the bracelet. I was able to remove the link on the other side okay. I’ve sized a number of bracelets over the years, but I couldn’t get the darn pins out. I even bent two pusher pins before I gave up and took it to a pro. I’ll take recommendations for a good quality set of tools. Mine must have been made out of pot metal. I even used a sizing jig, but it made no difference. As Dirty Harry said, “A man’s got to know his limitations.”
I was glad to see that Glycine still used a sapphire crystal and not the “flame fusion” that other company is known for. In a quick check of the lume, it appears the numerals do not have any form of Luminova. Only the pips on the hour markers light up. I won’t know how long the lume will last until I can check it later. I can only hope it’s Super Luminova, but we all know Invicta can, and does, make changes.
Nowhere in the documentation does it say what movement the watch uses. Cal GL 224 is meaningless. Pre Invicta Glycine used ETA, but some reviewers have said it has changed to the Sellita SW200. The docs say it was made in Bienne, Switzerland. One can only hope.
koimaster
Founder

Re: New Combat Sub

Post by koimaster » January 26th 2021, 10:30pm

A good honest review. I have one sub having sold off my bronze version. The only way to really tell what movement it has is by jewel count. 25 for ETA and 26 for Sellita. From caliber corner below

https://calibercorner.com/glycine-caliber-gl-224/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Thunder1 (Online)
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Post by Thunder1 » January 27th 2021, 5:36am

Invicta hasn't touched anything design-wise re: Gylcine watches..Glycine adopted the 'winged' logo some years ago to celebrate it's anniversary(pre-Invicta)..Glycine was forced to drop that logo because it was too similar to the Armani logo..Glycine has since returned to the 'crown' type logo..while their bracelets aren't the greatest, they are strap monsters..

It's a good looking, well-built Sub, that should provide you w/ a long term positive experience..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
studmuffin

Post by studmuffin » January 27th 2021, 8:20am

To be honest, Glycine wasn't even on my radar, but when the ad with that low price showed up I thought I'd take a chance. I have a soft spot for automatics. I was hoping Invicta hadn't mucked up the product too much over the past couple years. Still, obviously Glycine was in poor shape if Invicta was able to snatch it up.

Thanks for all the great info and comments. I'll try to dust better for any future photos.
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » January 27th 2021, 12:24pm

Very nice pickup.

I have a soft place in my heart for Glycine as my Grandfather wore one but havent yet gotten one.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » January 27th 2021, 8:17pm

Have had the red bezel.version and it was fantastic. And I had to buy new tools to break loose the link pins on it.

Have never swung so hard at something I liked.

Got mine on sale and actually broke even when I sold it.

For the $, you cannot go wrong with these.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat
studmuffin

Post by studmuffin » January 28th 2021, 7:52am

biglove wrote:
January 27th 2021, 8:17pm
Have had the red bezel.version and it was fantastic. And I had to buy new tools to break loose the link pins on it.

Have never swung so hard at something I liked.

Got mine on sale and actually broke even when I sold it.

For the $, you cannot go wrong with these.
Where did you find the tools. The set I bought on Amazon wasn't up to the task. I thought I was buying a quality set, but it obviously wasn't up to the task. I bent every size punch pin I had. I've never had this much difficulty before. Thanks...
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » January 28th 2021, 9:20am

^^^Esslinger
18F338AC-26B4-4607-9DE3-C9155C35C87B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Pubbie » January 28th 2021, 10:15am

It looks like Invicta hasn't change anything that's relevant, except increase choice.

Glycine changed the logo in 2015.

It was 2016 when Invicta bought it, it's now 2021. Maybe this year is finally the year they start messing with it. Or next year. Surely by 2023 or 2024! Must be....
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » January 30th 2021, 1:21am

Pubbie wrote:
January 28th 2021, 10:15am
It looks like Invicta hasn't change anything that's relevant, except increase choice.

It was 2016 when Invicta bought it, it's now 2021. Maybe this year is finally the year they start messing with it. Or next year. Surely by 2023 or 2024! Must be....
So far, the boards are primarily free from QC complaints and the people who buy them- and lots of WIS, collectors, and hobbyists buy a ton of 'em, give them great reviews. I like the bronze ones, I have no issues with the watch other than IWG, and I kept two old ones (my favorite is a Swissnese Dragon Lupah- or exhibit 1 as I call it) from way back in the early years.

I got out of that deal when IWG started putting G'10's in watches they claimed had $4500 retails- hey you don't have to hit me over the head with a 65 mm Sub Aqua Homer XXVIII, by golly.

I like the designs and their use lots of interesting movements that from everything I read, run great and hold up. And I enjoy looking at and reading what you think about Glycines you've purchased. Why, if this keeps up much longer at I may have to come to believe that IWG means to keep their subsidiaries' name good.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.^^^
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » January 30th 2021, 1:29am

Pubbie wrote:
January 28th 2021, 10:15am

So far, the boards are primarily free from QC complaints and the people who buy them- and lots of WIS, collectors, and hobbyists buy a ton of 'em, give them great reviews. I like the bronze ones, I have no issues with the watch other than IWG, and I kept two old ones (my favorite is a Swissnese Dragon Lupah- or exhibit 1 as I call it) from way back in the early years.

I got out of that deal when IWG started putting G'10's in watches they claimed had $4500 retails- hey you don't have to hit me over the head with a 65 mm Sub Aqua Homer XXVIII, by golly.

I like the designs and their use of lots of interesting movements, that from everything I've read, run great and hold up. And I enjoy looking at and reading what you think about Glycines you Lords have purchased. Why, if this keeps up much longer, I may have to come to believe that IWG means to keep their subsidiaries' name good.

Not that I'll buy one.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.^^^
studmuffin

Post by studmuffin » February 2nd 2021, 11:58pm

biglove wrote:
January 28th 2021, 9:20am
^^^Esslinger
Thanks, biglove. Received my order from Esslinger today. I may take one more link out of the bracelet as I wear my watches tight. Although I may not bother with this one as it's surprisingly light and doesn't move around on my wrist like some of heavier watches do. I found I don't notice the weight if a watch doesn't move.

Return to “Glycine”