Garrick S2

koimaster
Administrator/Founder
Facebook ID: 100000918104351

Garrick S2

Post by koimaster » August 6th 2019, 12:23pm

The Garrick S2 is the latest timepiece to leave the British brand’s Norfolk workshop. Housed within a 904L stainless steel case, the watch features a mesmerising engine-turned guilloché dial and a high degree of hand craftsmanship. Indeed, the protracted creation of this watch is the very antithesis of mass production.

Today, supermarkets sell a broad array of items: ready meals, soft drinks and detergents, but also clothes, pharmaceuticals and even electronic goods. This diverse product portfolio is incredible, however, all the items offered for sale have one thing in common, they are mass produced.

In the world of watches, mass production techniques make it possible for companies to offer attractive, uniform and reliable timepieces at affordable prices. Ascending the ladder of horological greatness, luxury watches encompass fine materials, complications and sometimes noble metals. These models are marketed as luxury, but often still encompass the same mass production methods popularised by Henry Ford and his legendary Model T.

There is no shame in making mass produced products, they are necessary for modern-day living. However, the ultimate expression of luxury has to be hand-made goods, especially bespoke goods. A pair of John Lobb hand-made shoes, a Savile Row suit, a shirt from Jermyn Street or a bespoke piece of silverware from Aspreys are just some exemplars of opulent living.

Fine watchmaking is an esoteric domain where excellence sets aside much of the mass production techniques found on more affordable watches. Mainplates and springs are still made using modern plant, but many items are crafted in low numbers by hand. This rarefied world of horological eminence attracts consummate pricing. Usually, these paragons of no-compromise luxury start at £50,000 and soon rise to six or even seven figure sums.

Garrick, on the face of it, is somewhat of an enigma. Its watches are crafted in Norfolk and encompass much hand-craftsmanship. Mass production methods are set aside and the watches incorporate costly specification details often the preserve of very expensive timepieces. However, Garrick’s models remain comparatively affordable.

https://www.escapementmagazine.com/arti ... K-UXucAvrE

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Garrick S2

Post by TemerityB » August 6th 2019, 12:35pm

I have less than no interest in watches of that style - yet, I walk away amazed at the price point considering what it is (I figured it translates to about 18 grand here). The dial work is really something, have to admit. Quite the unique color scheme.

Still, even if I could drop that much liquid, I'd never give something like that a thought. Just ain't my realm.
bbattle

Post by bbattle » August 6th 2019, 3:43pm

That's a piece of art one wears on their wrist and they have absolutely no interest in what time it is. Nor should they, being well off enough to pay others to worry about the time.

Beautiful piece but like the above poster said, not my realm, world or even universe.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by foghorn » August 6th 2019, 6:37pm

Rusty wrote:
August 6th 2019, 4:35pm
"While Garrick is a small company, it has clearly embraced modernity when this confers advancement."

WTF does that mean?

It means that one leg is both the same. Basically what he is saying that, when compared to a Rolex, the higher you go , the fewer.
3Flushes (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » August 7th 2019, 12:41am

foghorn wrote:
August 6th 2019, 6:37pm
Rusty wrote:
August 6th 2019, 4:35pm
"While Garrick is a small company, it has clearly embraced modernity when this confers advancement."

WTF does that mean?

It means that one leg is both the same. Basically what he is saying that, when compared to a Rolex, the higher you go , the fewer.
But in that case, what's the difference between the duck?
Copyright ©️ 2019 3flushes Media.

The past is never dead. It isn't even past.- Faulkner

Return to “Mechanical Watches”