I love Hamilton..................

TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Re: I love Hamilton..................

Post by TemerityB » July 30th 2019, 6:53am

Nothing new, really - they've been farting around with the Ventura for about a decade now. They still do make traditional ones, but in most cases they're quartz, so I don't cotton to them.

The Ventura design is my wife's favorite, and still probably her favorite watch of all time.
Listening to Justin Zimmer trying to explain Glycine watches on ShopPU is like listening to Pernell Roberts explain what beans make a good cup of coffee.
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » July 30th 2019, 6:29pm

Two thoughts:
1. The original Ventura was not a particular good watch. There was a race toward electrification and in getting there first Hamilton had many QC issues... essentially setting the stage for unbridled success of Bulova’s electrified tuning-fork Accutron for over a decade;

2. This avant-garde reimagination of the original has the same aesthetic appeal of modern gaudy 22” wheels on a classic ‘55 Chevy Bel Air... which is to say none.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » August 25th 2019, 6:26pm

Nuvolari wrote:
July 30th 2019, 6:29pm

1. The original Ventura was not a particular good watch. There was a race toward electrification and in getting there first Hamilton had many QC issues... essentially setting the stage for unbridled success of Bulova’s electrified tuning-fork Accutron for over a decade;
Yep. They were so bad; I've read reports that the early ones would just konk out and that was that. Hamilton took a bath on returns and bad will. Amazingly, a lot of the early ones are now selling for many times what they originally did (no shocker, I realize, and forgive the pun), but I can't tell you the number of times I've read stuff like "it's working now, but ..." and statements like that, by the sellers. Gotta agree, Nuvo - Bulova just picked up the ball, did it right, and ran with it.
Listening to Justin Zimmer trying to explain Glycine watches on ShopPU is like listening to Pernell Roberts explain what beans make a good cup of coffee.
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Post by koimaster » August 25th 2019, 7:33pm

Nuvolari wrote:
July 30th 2019, 6:29pm
Two thoughts:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hope that ChronoMatt does not see this post. He has quite a collection of vintage Ventura watches.

2. This avant-garde reimagination of the original has the same aesthetic appeal of modern gaudy 22” wheels on a classic ‘55 Chevy Bel Air... which is to say none.

Ouch!

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."

Return to “Hamilton”