Have Tools will Mod

Watch modifications
Watch Noob
Banned

Have Tools will Mod

Post by Watch Noob » December 30th 2020, 3:56pm

So guys I'm not sure why it took me so long, but I spent some cash and bought some tools required to do modding. Crystal Press, hand tools, magnifying glasses, et. etc.
I changed a crystal out on a Grand Diver I had scratched the hell out of years ago (yes Flame Fusion is not the end all be all), and I must say it went flawlessly even with my monkey paws. I tore apart a Seiko 6309 I bought off Alain years ago to do a clean up. I put it back together and noticed I will need to replace that crystal and a new bezel insert. (future project)

What I'm asking here is do you have any tips for me in modding? I'm looking for a source for cheap gaskets that you can buy several of. Case back , crystal, etc.

I've ordered from Esslinger and they have come through for me for my crystal needs. But I do see that many places want to charge an arm and a leg for simple gaskets. I 32mm dia. gasket at 1.0mm thick is just a gasket, but if you look by brand and model they will rape you.

Any other tips when it comes to mods would be appreciated. I know that can be a money pit hobby, and I'm mainly interested in restoration more that modding, but parts are parts.

Thanks gang.
svaglic
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Have Tools will Mod

Post by svaglic » December 30th 2020, 4:20pm

Yobokies. He has everything I’ve looked for, not sure about gaskets. I ordered a load of various sized watch gaskets off ebay.
If you or someone you know has been butt hurt over the lies Watchlords has exposed, you may be entitled to compensation. Please call 1-888-who-gives-a-fu** operators are standing by.
Watch Noob
Banned

Post by Watch Noob » December 30th 2020, 4:57pm

Thanks guys much appreciated. Racer-X, that's a lot of helpful links, thank you and yes I've seen the plastic bag/saran wrap trick used many times with the hand tools puller. I found some pullers that have the pusher on the opposite end that I may order. This is the part that scare me the most because it seems like it's all done by "feel". Not sure if there is actually notches in the watch hand post that you place the hands over.
Racer-X (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Racer-X » December 30th 2020, 5:24pm

Watch Noob wrote:
December 30th 2020, 4:57pm
Thanks guys much appreciated. Racer-X, that's a lot of helpful links, thank you and yes I've seen the plastic bag/saran wrap trick used many times with the hand tools puller. I found some pullers that have the pusher on the opposite end that I may order. This is the part that scare me the most because it seems like it's all done by "feel". Not sure if there is actually notches in the watch hand post that you place the hands over.
I tried the lever tools for removal, but ended up liking this Bergeon-type tool along with the baggie much better.
https://www.esslinger.com/watch-hand-re ... nd-puller/

For replacing the hands- I tried the fancy press, but picked up this set of pushers and used them instead. More control.
https://www.esslinger.com/watch-hand-to ... -set-of-3/

Putting the hands back wasn't too bad, but definitely the most tricky part for me. Have to first set the movement to 12:00 before removing the hands. I pushed each hand until I felt a soft stop. Some adjusting can be done with the tools on each hand to get them level with the dial and lined up, making sure to test a few rotations that nothing is rubbing before buttoning up.

Worst case, you just pop them off and start again. :mrgreen:
biglove
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Post by biglove » December 30th 2020, 8:38pm

Sounds challenging and fun.

Have never given much thought to modding. Didn't know anyone here did much of it?
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat

Return to “Watch Modding”