What is Watch Modding?

Watch modifications
koimaster
Founder

What is Watch Modding?

Post by koimaster » March 4th 2019, 11:03am

What is up, watchfam?! Today, we’re going to take a quick trip into the world of watch modding, one of the most popular sub-communities within the greater watch community at large.

Let’s start with the definition – “modding” is short for “modifying.” In essence, it is the idea of changing something about your watch from the way it came to you from the factory to the way you would more prefer it to be, often aesthetically but, as we’ll get into in a minute, also mechanically.

One of the most popular motivations for watch modding is trying to fix something you don’t like about one of your watches. Take Seikos, for example, that run the 7S26 movement. It’s a powerhouse, workhorse of a movement, but it lacks hand-winding and hacking capabilities which, for some people, is a big deal. I tend to agree with those people, but that’s another issue entirely. Therefore, what some people do is they’ll take their Seiko watch, drop a different movement (such as the 4R36) into the piece and – WHAM – you have hand-winding, ladies and gents.

https://theoandharris.com/watch-101-wha ... h-modding/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Rusty
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: What is Watch Modding?

Post by Rusty » March 4th 2019, 1:02pm

foghorn wrote:Watch modding is buying a watch that you don't really like,fucking it up so you still don't like it, then selling it on Recon as if anybody else is gonna like it after you just fucked it up.
That's what watch modding is.

As they say in England....brilliant!
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Re: What is Watch Modding?

Post by TemerityB » March 4th 2019, 4:30pm

Hmmm, I thought I learned at WIT that "watch modding" was taking a Swiss Legend strap and putting it on your Invicter.

I need more lessons.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster

Return to “Watch Modding”