Dave Brubeck Take Five

Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Dave Brubeck Take Five

Post by Nuvolari » June 10th 2020, 8:46am

Big fan here, too. When he passed away a few years ago there was a big “to do” in the neighboring town of Concord, where he was from.

He was formative in my appreciation of jazz... along with Stan Getz. That, and stumbling onto Kind of Blue with Miles, Coletrain, and Bill Evans... all of who, I would learn to appreciate, were also superb on their own.

Another good dude - Zoot Sims. Plus, what a cool ass name!!
Last edited by Nuvolari on June 10th 2020, 4:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Post by TemerityB » June 10th 2020, 2:51pm

I'm thrilled I got to see Dave Brubeck perform life back in the '90s on the same bill at a jazz festival as BB King and Grover Washington Jr.

Very lucky to have gotten to see him perform a set.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » June 10th 2020, 10:25pm

What stands out to me is when Brubeck literally studies his quartet as they play their solos; he was an amazing composer, and even in his elder years, continued to invent and perform. The first jazz I ever heard (and watched) was a PBS performance of his quartet, probably when I was eleven or twelve.

He died in 2019, at the grand age of 91, of heart failure, on his way to an appointment with his cardiologist.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye

Return to “The Music Shack”