Citizen Chronomaster - Washi paper dial

Racer-X (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Citizen Chronomaster - Washi paper dial

Post by Racer-X » February 25th 2019, 2:47pm

"At Revolution, we’ll be honest in saying that we’re a tad biased towards mechanical watchmaking. In recent days, however, there’s been increasing interest in redefining electronically assisted timekeeping – quartz-powered timekeepers are no longer simply the more accessible option. This redefinition is in no small part due to the presence of smartwatches, which are driving forward digital timekeeping efforts. As a result, high-precision quartz timekeeping is making a strong comeback.

...Accuracy performances aside, it’s what else is present within the Chronomaster AQ 4020-54Y that lights this watch up. To highlight its Japanese origins, Citizen has used washi paper on its dial. Washi paper, a hand-processed traditional Japanese paper-making craft, is produced using the inner bark from three types of Japanese flora and is recognised as a UNESCO cultural heritage. It’s still found today in various Japanese traditions and is used internationally in book mending and conservation. It’s a hardier paper fibre and Citizen has found a way to treat it and use it as a dial."

https://www.revolution.watch/citizen-chronomaster/
MKTheVintageBloke (Online)
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Citizen Chronomaster - Washi paper dial

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » February 25th 2019, 4:50pm

IIRC, the Chronomaster is priced at a hair short of $3K, which means that never in my bloody life would I even consider it, unless I had enough money for that price to be a spare handful of fun coupons.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
bedlam (Online)
WIS Divemaster
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Citizen Chronomaster - Washi paper dial

Post by bedlam » February 25th 2019, 7:25pm

foghorn wrote:It's well made and good looking but I really don't need a watch to be within 5 secs/year.
I already have a G-shock that picks up a signal every night.

Isn't High Accuracy Quartz redundant?

Those signals have been turned off in some parts of the world and there is no assurance that they will continue to be available elsewhere.

Quite aside, exceptional engineering often provides redundancy. It's a feature, not a bug.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.

Return to “Citizen”