Tudor 7928 Submariner

koimaster
Founder

Tudor 7928 Submariner

Post by koimaster » September 24th 2022, 6:08pm

The 7928 was the first Tudor Sub to feature crown guards...

The Tudor Reference 7928 is perhaps one of the most classic Tudor sports models. It saw a long production run fromapproximatly 1959 (earliest caseback we have seen is an IV.59 with a 300.xxx serial) till circa 1968. There are several versions of the 7928.In broad overview there are two reference groups. The 7928 and the 7928/0. The /0 was added to many Tudor references in the mid 60′s to denote stainless steel – in a similar fashion as Rolex did with their models. Within the two main groups, a large amount of variations exist.The Calibre 390 MovementThe Tudor 7928 was powered by the Cal 390, which was first seen in early Tudor automatics, most famously the 34mm Tudor Oysters, from the early 1950s. It was a modified movement (a Tudor trademark until recent years) by Flurier and had a frequency of 18,000 beat per hour.

https://tudorcollector.com/collection/another-watch-6/

https://www.tudorwatch.com/en/inside-tu ... 54-to-1968

******************I***********I*I*********************************

The Tudor MilSub: Part I
By Ross Povey
If you ask any seasoned Rolex or Tudor collector which area of this crazy hobby is the most secretive and shrouded in mystery, they will inevitably reply with the murky world of military watches and in particular Submariners; know as MilSubs. The four most knowledgeable and influential Rolex MilSub collectors in the world are good personal friends of mine and I have literally seen dozens of their watches over the years… and I still am a little baffled by the details. I am, however, very familiar with Tudor MilSubs, which are in many ways a broader subject than their Rolex cousins as they were much more widely issued to a range of military forces around the world.

So where do we start with the Tudor MilSubs? Well, the most important place is the caseback — that’s the key to the Tudors. The British MOD asked Rolex to produce watches that met very detailed specifications and Rolex responded with the military-only versions of Submariner refs. 5513, 5517 and the double reference 5513/17. These watches had to have a specified hand shape (for visibility), 60-minute bezel markers (for accuracy), fixed lug bars (for security) and a circled T on the dial to denote the use of tritium lume on the hands and hour markers.

https://revolutionwatch.com/the-tudor-milsub-part-i-2/

The Tudor MilSub: Part II
By Ross Povey
In Part I of this epic story we focused on the French National Navy’s pivotal role in the development of the Tudor Submariner. The Marine Nationale issued watches are the most well known of Tudor MilSubs but, beyond this, it is also important to consider the significant amount of research, development and consultation that occurred between the French Navy and Montres Tudor SA. The purpose of this installment of the story is to explore other military forces that opted to issue their troops with Tudor Submariners.

“Why Tudors?” is both a good question and one that is impossible to answer definitively. Hans Wilsdorf bestowed upon Tudor watches three key elements – the automatic movement (which he had pioneered), the Oyster case and the full Rolex guarantee. To achieve this prestigious guarantee, Tudor watches had to be built to the same standards as their coroneted cousins. This was achievable in part because Tudor Subs were manufactured with many components used in Rolex Subs – cases, crowns, tubes, crystals, sealing gaskets and bezel assemblies. Aside from case engravings, the only discernable differences were the dials, hands and movements. This made Tudor dive watches very durable, reliable and, perhaps most importantly, very good value. Not all forces were as wealthy as the British MOD and so the Tudors were a more cost effective solution.

https://revolutionwatch.com/the-tudor-milsub-part-ii-2/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."

Return to “Rolex & Tudor Forum”