Rolex is no longer a retail brand

koimaster
Founder

Rolex is no longer a retail brand

Post by koimaster » March 15th 2022, 4:49pm

Cambridge English Dictionary defines “retail” as the activity of selling goods to the public, usually in shops.

By that definition, Rolex stopped being a retail brand last year and shows no sign of returning any time soon. The reality today is that members of the public cannot simply walk into a shop and walk out with a Rolex.

This was once true for just a handful of references: steel Daytonas, Batman GMTs or Hulk Submariners, but shortages have now spread across the entire steel men’s watch range and is rapidly engulfing even the precious metal portfolio — even ladies’ Datejusts are hard to find.

As almost everybody now realises, Rolex authorised dealers do not sell watches to the public, they allocate them to customers that bring other benefits to them beyond the sale of a Submariner.

https://www.watchpro.com/corders-column ... ail-brand/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Rolex is no longer a retail brand

Post by conjurer » March 15th 2022, 5:40pm

Quite so. When I bought my BBGMT at the local Ben Bridge, they had not one Rollie on display; there might have been some in the vault waiting to be picked up, but certainly nothing for sale. They were very short of Tooters, two. Perhaps a dozen scattered in two display cases. On the other hand, the TAG and Tissot cases were filled to the bursting.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by 3Flushes » March 16th 2022, 3:12am

As the article noted, there are markets where profiteers are able to garner watches in quantity from AD's - likely favored Rolex markets in the Near and Far East, the first markets fully restored when Rolex resumed production following their pandemic closure. Unfortunately the US is primarily part of the red haired stepchild bracket.

As for the effects of greater scarcity under the current sales structure, near term or for the future, so much the better for Omega.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2022 3flushes Media.^^^
boscoe
ASSHAT

Post by boscoe » April 8th 2022, 8:32pm

Not my experience in last couple years.
While they are hard to find, I have walked into ADs in New York City (London Jewelers/World Trade Center), Hamilton Jewelers (upscale Palm Beach Gardens Mall) and another jeweler in Boca Raton that had watches ready to sell at retail. I believe Tourneau did as well.
Also, a shitload dropped at BC Clark in Oklahoma City this week, including the Rosegold/chocate 41 MM Datejust I bought today.
Scarce, but not unobtainable.
And as for favored customer status, the folks in OKC don't know me for shit - and it ain't like they're hurting.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » April 10th 2022, 4:14pm

The ice blue dials, gold, and jeweled pieces are easier to come by for the buying public at large in these parts, while the highly coveted steel watches remain highly elusive. A member of my cousin's law firm was able to score an Oyster Steel Daytona from his AD jeweler when he ordered a custom diamond anniversary band for his wife to match her wedding set. The guy apparently had done business at the place for some time having purchased a few other baubles over the years. Prior to the purchase of the anniversary band, customer Esq. had been skunked several times on the watch, told they were OOS. I reckon he was finally in the right place making a large purchase at the right time to reel in the Cosmo as a bonus.

They apparently had gold Day Dates and Subs in the case on that day that were gone when I went browsing a couple'a weeks later. Just for grins, I put my name on a waiting list for a gold Sub and a steel Daytona at no charge with no estimate of availability. I'm not holding my breath.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » April 11th 2022, 3:46pm

Hawk wrote:
April 10th 2022, 9:25pm
I tend to view available, MSRP steel Rolexes the same as unicorns: you only need to find one to prove they exist. This doesn’t mean I’ll find one grazing in my backyard farting Skittles but I now acknowledge that they exist elsewhere.
Indeed ---------

And apparently not all AD's are created equal.

The Crown apparently has a formula for determining who gets what and in what quantities based, at least in part, on the dealer's length of service to the Crown, so to speak, and the previous year's sales.
boscoe
ASSHAT

Post by boscoe » April 11th 2022, 6:43pm

Yes the watch was MSRP + Oklahoma City's hideous 8.8% sales tax.
Since I no longer have a photobucket account, can't post pix.
The sales dudes told me the steel sports are almost impossible to obtain. But unpopular (they said politely 'less popular') items like the everose and chocolate are easier to find.
Returned on Saturday to fit/fix necklace for Mrs. Boscoe - all Rolex gone!
Kind of like fishing at a lake.
They were biting like crazy. Shoulda been here yesterday.
But Rolex is still about retail.

Return to “Rolex & Tudor Forum”