Rolex price rises for 2022 reasons

koimaster
Founder

Rolex price rises for 2022 reasons

Post by koimaster » February 7th 2022, 10:31am

A Professor of Economics unpacks the true meaning of the Rolex price rises for 2022

Editor’s note: Brendan Cunningham is a Professor of Economics at Eastern Connecticut State University in the US and the man behind Horolonomics, a blog that explores the economic issues in watchmaking.

A riff on Nina Simone’s classic song Feeling Good is a nice accompaniment in these opening days of 2022, particularly when it comes to the Rolex market. Simone’s song is positive and inspirational. The refrain includes the lyrics “It’s a new dawn, It’s a new day, It’s a new life, And I’m feeling good.” For Rolex, it might be more fitting to sing: “It’s a new year, It’s a new quarter, It’s a new price list.” The question is: should collectors feel good?

The new price list means that, if you live in most countries around the world, including America, you will have to part with more of your hard-earned money to buy a Rolex at retail (assuming you are lucky enough to “get the call” from your authorised dealer, more on that later). Generally, this is the kind of thing that makes buyers unhappy. Certain collectors may covet that Daytona so much, though, that they may simply disregard the price increase as they take delivery. There is also the fact that a lot of stuff comes with a higher price these days. Inflation in many countries around the world, including the United States, is running north of 5%. In this sense, Rolex will find safety in numbers: just about everyone is increasing prices.

https://timeandtidewatches.com/a-profes ... ice-rises/

IMHO, these price increases are no different than some people inflating their wealth to get on the forbes list. Rolex is a lower mid-tier "luxury" watch which is made in great numbers but positions itself as rare and a great "investment". Marketing is everything it seems in watches and other things.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Rolex price rises for 2022 reasons

Post by smellody » February 7th 2022, 11:19am

I'd disagree on lower mid-tier placement. So would my jeweler who can work only anything, but chooses to only work on Rolex due to their robust 80 year movements.

Great marketing? Yes. Just like gold, Rolex remains worth its weight across the globe.

The Rolex crown is also known worldwide like the Spirit of Ecstacy and Coca-Cola.

I guess other watches have made it to the top of Everest, to the bottom of the ocean, or timed motoring events. . . .but they don't matter to me.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Rolex price rises for 2022 reasons

Post by 3Flushes » February 8th 2022, 3:31am

smellody wrote:
February 7th 2022, 1:11pm
Even with such disdain for the world's most powerful and of interest watch company, as long as the demand remains high across the planet, Rolex can ask anything they want for their attractive, robust, horologic masterpieces.
Hell, given the secondary market, they could have doubled their prices and not had to worry about rolling back production one iota in order to maintain demand. At this point, the Crown can do no wrong.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2022 3flushes Media.^^^

Return to “Rolex & Tudor Forum”