Rolex prices

smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Rolex prices

Post by smellody » September 8th 2021, 7:56pm

Jeabus christ with a K! How is Joe Blow ever going "to make it" and get a Rolex???????

Modern stainless pieces are selling for almost 3xs their MSRP and vintage..... vintage are "off the chain." A watch that sold nee for $84.50 is selling for over one thousand dollars.

Madness I tell you!
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Rolex prices

Post by conjurer » September 8th 2021, 10:08pm

Quite so. The days when Mr. Blow could afford a Rolex are long over. In the 1950s, you could buy a Sub for about $150. The monthly average income was about $350. So, assuming you didn't have a kid with polio who needed a rented iron lung, eating less and not paying your mortgage meant that, with two weeks pay, you could buy a Rollie Sub. Today, with the average income of around five grand a month, and the price of a Sub being about Thirteen Fucking Grand, this means that Mr. Blow would have to save two and a half months to buy one, assuming he could find one at retail, which he can't.

What this means is that Rolex has become a luxury brand that nobody but the rich can afford. I suppose this is tough shit for Mr. Blow.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » September 9th 2021, 3:16am

Rolex is unquestionably one of the finest mass produced products of all time, their high level of watchmaking and horological innovation surpassed only by their superlative marketing vision realized through one of the best mass media advertising heritages in the history of the art, the most recent culmination of which is the rebirth of Tudor as an independent luxury brand.

With independent manufacturing facilities replete with proprietary technology, most notably, cases and in-house movements, Tudor was restructured as a sibling brand to fulfill an appeal to younger, trend savvy customers utilizing more progressive, unique designs to bring a younger demographic into the Rolex family without having to expand their manufacturing capacity or dilute the iconic Rolex designs and their price points in order to do so.

Perhaps no brand, certainly no watch brand, understands its customers and what they want better than Rolex who hasn't produced enough watches to completely meet the demand for them for decades. This longstanding element of Rolex's formula to earn the iconic status they have achieved was propelled to its current levels when Rolex was forced to cut back production because of the pandemic.

Waiting lists, prices 3 -5X over sticker and sew fourth; 13 grand for a Submariner and it's not even the coolest diver in the line. Crazy. And Rolex's least available and most expensive watches according to the industry rags are likely yet to come in the form of traditional models with some new innovations that lend themselves less to mass production like the free balance escapement.

The free balance is an energy transmission method where alternating tension applied to the hairspring is used to power the watch with no direct-drive existing between the going train and the balance wheel. (paraphrased AIR it from Quill and Pad, I think) Production will be limited on pieces like this placing these models within the production numbers and price range akin to the top of the line models of brands like AP, Girard-Perregaux, and Brequet.

Rolex has been busy at the patent office for the last 10-12 years and maybe even something atomic is in the R&D pipeline. The battles to get these more limited pieces will be epic, and they will most certainly be priced accordingly.

And while I say this being fortunate enough to have had two dearly departed relatives leave me Rolex watches, with the ridiculousness engulfing Rolex these days, they can keep them.
Last edited by 3Flushes on September 10th 2021, 2:26pm, edited 3 times in total.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.^^^
smellody (Online)

Post by smellody » September 9th 2021, 10:03am

conjurer wrote:
September 8th 2021, 10:08pm
Quite so. The days when Mr. Blow could afford a Rolex are long over. In the 1950s, you could buy a Sub for about $150. The monthly average income was about $350. So, assuming you didn't have a kid with polio who needed a rented iron lung, eating less and not paying your mortgage meant that, with two weeks pay, you could buy a Rollie Sub. Today, with the average income of around five grand a month, and the price of a Sub being about Thirteen Fucking Grand, this means that Mr. Blow would have to save two and a half months to buy one, assuming he could find one at retail, which he can't.

What this means is that Rolex has become a luxury brand that nobody but the rich can afford. I suppose this is tough shit for Mr. Blow.
If you can find one.
smellody (Online)

Post by smellody » September 9th 2021, 10:05am

3Flushes wrote:
September 9th 2021, 3:16am
Rolex is unquestionably one of the finest mass produced products of all time, their high level of watchmaking and horological innovation surpassed only by their superlative marketing vision realized through one of the finest mass media advertising heritages in the history of the art, the most recent culmination of which is the rebirth of Tudor as an independent luxury brand.

With independent manufacturing facilities replete with proprietary technology, most notably, cases and in-house movements, Tudor was restructured as a sibling brand to fulfill an appeal to younger, trend savvy customers utilizing more progressive, unique designs to bring the younger demographic into the Rolex family without having to expand manufacturing capacity or dilute the iconic Rolex designs and their price points in order to do so.

Perhaps no brand, certainly no watch brand, understands its customers and what they want better than Rolex who hasn't produced enough watches to completely meet the demand for them for decades. This longstanding element of Rolex's formula to earn the iconic status they have achieved was propelled to its current levels when Rolex was forced to cut back production because of the pandemic.

Waiting lists, prices 3 -5X over sticker and sew fourth. 13 grand for a Submariner and it's not even the coolest diver in the line. Crazy. And Rolex's least available and most expensive watches according to the industry rags are likely yet to come in the form of traditional models with some new innovations that lend themselves less to mass production like the free balance escapement.

The free balance is an energy transmission method where alternating tension applied to the hairspring is used to power the watch with no direct-drive existing between the going train and the balance wheel. (paraphrased AIR it from Quill and Pad, I think) Production will be limited on pieces like this placing these models within the production numbers and price range akin to the top of the line models of brands like AP, Girard-Perregaux, and Brequet.

Rolex has been busy at the patent office for the last 10-12 years and maybe even something atomic is in the R&D pipeline. The battles to get these more limited pieces will be epic, and they will most certainly be priced accordingly.

And while I say this being fortunate enough to have had two dearly departed relatives leave me Rolex watches, with the ridiculousness engulfing Rolex these days, they can keep them.
Well said. Unfortunately I am hooked including the line and sinker.

I wonder if this craze will ever slow down and I will find nice vibtage watches for $5k again. Say in 20 years. I kind of doubt it. . . But can always wish. 🤞
kevco
Master of Time

Post by kevco » September 9th 2021, 11:26am

My only one is an Air King 5500/1002. Its a very basic stainless 1989 model that was sold in 1990 for $855.00.

(I have the box,papers, original credit card slip etc)
I bought it about a year and a half ago for $2413.87. Almost 3 times the original price.
Just a reference for the original post.
smellody (Online)

Post by smellody » September 9th 2021, 1:37pm

iwasbanned wrote:
September 9th 2021, 1:07pm
I am very fortunate to have all the ones I really want. Maybe I can get on a list for the Explorer 1 and get it at retail. I have heard it ain't doing as hot as they thought.
I wish I had all I want. . ..
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » September 9th 2021, 3:43pm

smellody wrote:
September 9th 2021, 10:05am
...I wonder if this craze will ever slow down and I will find nice vibtage watches for $5k again. Say in 20 years. I kind of doubt it. . . But can always wish. 🤞
I don't think so, either, although I suspect Rolex will catch the supply up enough such that prices will reach a plateau and keep Rolex at a widely attainable price point. $13,000 Submariners are scarce, $30,000 Submariners, not so much, at least under the current total production schedule of 800,000 to 1,000,000 watches per year. It sure won't be boring to watch how Rolex responds, especially with some very cool technological advances in the pipeline.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.^^^

Return to “Rolex & Tudor Forum”