The Rolex Oysterquartz

koimaster (Online)
Founder

The Rolex Oysterquartz

Post by koimaster » January 22nd 2021, 12:04pm

Yes, even Rolex joined the quartz movement

Rolex may be known for their precise and reliable mechanical movements, yet there was a time when the Swiss watchmaking company got on board with the quartz craze during what is now referred to as the “quartz crisis” era.

In the early 1970s and 1980s, the trend in the watchmaking business was towards less expensive and more precise quartz calibers rather than more intricate mechanical movements. It was referred to as a crisis because it almost toppled the entire Swiss watchmaking industry with the majority of quartz watches coming out of Japan and the United States. Although there was widespread hesitation to join the quartz bandwagon among Swiss watch manufactures at the time, there were a few top watch brands, including Rolex that introduced their own quartz watches. Here we take a closer look at the development and evolution of the Rolex Oysterquartz.

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-blog/ ... prise.html

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: The Rolex Oysterquartz

Post by smellody » January 22nd 2021, 2:37pm

Nuvolari wrote:
January 22nd 2021, 2:35pm
I always liked the angular touches to the oysterquartz case. I just hated that they were quartz...
They are RARE, but the Oysterquartz case was used for a regular Perpetual Datejust for a couple years. I had an opportunity but didn't need another two-tone with champagne dial.
smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by smellody » January 22nd 2021, 3:26pm

smellody wrote:
January 22nd 2021, 2:37pm
Nuvolari wrote:
January 22nd 2021, 2:35pm
I always liked the angular touches to the oysterquartz case. I just hated that they were quartz...
They are RARE, but the Oysterquartz case was used for a regular Perpetual Datejust for a couple years. I had an opportunity but didn't need another two-tone with champagne dial.
REF. 1630 late 70's
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » January 23rd 2021, 5:59pm

I had access to one a few years ago but turned it down because the seller - a jewelry store where I've picked up a couple of pieces in recent years that specializes in pre-owned luxury wares - expressed reservations about their ability to service it, believe it or not. The price was good but I declined.
Now found at bestdamnwatchforum.

Return to “Rolex & Tudor Forum”