Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39

koimaster
Founder

Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39

Post by koimaster » August 23rd 2019, 3:23pm

If you want just one, all-purpose watch, our watch tester says Rolex’s Oyster Perpetual might be it. Find out more about in this in-depth review of the Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39 from the WatchTime archives.

If you are like me, you sometimes wish you owned a watch that you could wear on every occasion, something that would go well with every outfit and activity, that wouldn’t be ostentatious but would still have character. The Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39, introduced in 2015, would seem to fit that bill. Its design comes close to perfection. Its sportily elegant appearance goes equally well with a business suit or a polo shirt. And its size (39 mm) is correctly proportioned for nearly every wrist, and is not overly conspicuous.
With gently curving lugs and a broad bezel, the case of the Rolex Oyster Perpetual makes a harmonious impression.

The popular Datejust was the godfather for the shapes of the hands, the indexes and the case. Little blue blocks adjacent to the hour indexes add a touch of excitement and combine with the anthracite-colored and sunburst-finished dial to create an attractive color combination that looks modern, elegant and special.

With gently curving lugs and a broad bezel, the case makes a harmonious impression. All surfaces (except the upper planes of the lugs) are polished. As is almost always the situation on a Rolex wristwatch, the flat sapphire crystal rises above the level of the case, but slopes diagonally downward along its periphery to deflect potential shocks. Proofs of authenticity include Rolex’s crown- shaped logo lasered into the sapphire crystal at 6 o’clock, the name “Rolex” engraved into the metal ring around the dial, Rolex’s crown logo as an appliqué at the 12, and the serial number at 6.

https://www.watchtime.com/reviews/a-wat ... 728bd6f117

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » August 23rd 2019, 4:56pm

Not a fan of the dial version shown in the article... The black and white versions look way better. Can't stand the blue markers. Otherwise, a nice watch - no polished centre links, brushing on the case (at least it's not polished to a blob like the modern OP Date and Datejust).
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Post by TemerityB » August 24th 2019, 3:19pm

With me it's a tie between the Datejust and OP. My favorite models.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Post by JAS1125 » August 24th 2019, 5:54pm

I always thought that if I broke down and bought a Rolex I would shoot for either the Submariner or the Pepsi GMT, but this Oyster Perpetual is rapidly rising to the top. The concept of an all-arounder appeals to me
"Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance"

David Mamet

Return to “Rolex & Tudor Forum”