Rolex Releases Scarcity Statement

smellody
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Rolex Releases Scarcity Statement

Post by smellody » September 23rd 2021, 7:20am

https://hypebeast.com/2021/9/rolex-issu ... ty-watches
“The scarcity of our products is not a strategy on our part. Our current production cannot meet the existing demand in an exhaustive way, at least not without reducing the quality of our watches – something we refuse to do as the quality of our products must never be compromised. This level of excellence requires time, and as we have always done, we will continue to take the necessary time to ensure that all our watches not only comply with our standards of excellence, but also meet the expectations of our customers in terms of quality, reliability and robustness. Rolex does not compromise on what it takes to produce exceptional watches.”

“All Rolex watches are developed and produced in-house at our four sites in Switzerland. They are assembled by hand, with extreme care, to meet the brand’s unique and high-quality standards of quality, performance and aesthetics. Understandably, this naturally restricts our production capacities – which we continue to increase as much as possible and always according to our quality criteria.”

“Finally, it should be noted that Rolex watches are available exclusively from official retailers, who independently manage the allocation of watches to customers.”
iwasbanned (Online)
Master of Time

Re: Rolex Releases Scarcity Statement

Post by iwasbanned » September 23rd 2021, 1:30pm

smellody wrote:
September 23rd 2021, 12:55pm
iwasbanned wrote:
September 23rd 2021, 11:50am
Keep it up Rolex, I'll be able to put my kids through college with my Rolexii.
Damn Skippy!

Of course I won't actually sell my Rolexii, my kids can take out loans and go to vocational school. I need more Rolex!
smellody
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by smellody » September 23rd 2021, 1:58pm

iwasbanned wrote:
September 23rd 2021, 1:30pm
smellody wrote:
September 23rd 2021, 12:55pm
iwasbanned wrote:
September 23rd 2021, 11:50am
Keep it up Rolex, I'll be able to put my kids through college with my Rolexii.
Damn Skippy!

Of course I won't actually sell my Rolexii, my kids can take out loans and go to vocational school. I need more Rolex!
Me too brother!
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » September 23rd 2021, 4:54pm

smellody wrote:
September 23rd 2021, 7:20am
“The scarcity of our products is not a strategy on our part. Our current production cannot meet the existing demand in an exhaustive way, at least not without reducing the quality of our watches – something we refuse to do as the quality of our products must never be compromised. This level of excellence requires time, and as we have always done, we will continue to take the necessary time to ensure that all our watches not only comply with our standards of excellence, but also meet the expectations of our customers in terms of quality, reliability and robustness. Rolex does not compromise on what it takes to produce exceptional watches.”

“All Rolex watches are developed and produced in-house at our four sites in Switzerland. They are assembled by hand, with extreme care, to meet the brand’s unique and high-quality standards of quality, performance and aesthetics. Understandably, this naturally restricts our production capacities – which we continue to increase as much as possible and always according to our quality criteria.”

“Finally, it should be noted that Rolex watches are available exclusively from official retailers, who independently manage the allocation of watches to customers.”
Says the brand whose production has intentionally not met demand for decades.

Evil fucking genieuses - that's what they are.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2021 3flushes Media.^^^
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » September 23rd 2021, 10:56pm

3Flushes wrote:
September 23rd 2021, 4:54pm
smellody wrote:

Don't be such a fucking gavronne. Triple. Remember the old days when me, you and Cod were knocking off old Marvel fucking comics? There was never such a fucking market for these cocksuckers. They were lining up to buy our shit, and we were reclining in fucking La-Z-Boys and lighting our fucking Romeo y Julietta Robustos with hundred dollar bills. The fuck is wrong with that??
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » September 24th 2021, 1:29am

conjurer wrote:
September 23rd 2021, 10:56pm
3Flushes wrote:
September 23rd 2021, 4:54pm
smellody wrote:

Don't be such a fucking gavronne. Triple. Remember the old days when me, you and Cod were knocking off old Marvel fucking comics? There was never such a fucking market for these cocksuckers. They were lining up to buy our shit, and we were reclining in fucking La-Z-Boys and lighting our fucking Romeo y Julietta Robustos with hundred dollar bills. The fuck is wrong with that??
Remember? Like yesterday. I remember our friends lining up, too. Workin' stiffs like us. Now it's a bunch of Wall Street Journals getting their swag shit from turks in sushi bars. I just miss the old days
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » September 24th 2021, 9:13pm

I don't care about any of this, out of sheer selfishness. I have two Rolex. Quite thrilled with them. I'm fine with what I own. And I bought one pre-owned from a respected jeweler, the other brand new from an AD just two months before the Watch Insanity of 2020 ensued.

I wouldn't pay a penny over list price for anything. I don't understand anyone who would. The secondary watch market has turned into ShopNBC, only worse, and I don't deal with any of that in the first place. If what I just read is the Rolex business model, they're to be admired. I don't any cynicism about them.

It's everybody else - the grubby flippers - I can't stand.

Oh, and banned: Yowza, man. Yowza.
The Best Invicta Ever is: The ones you used to own. - Boscoe
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » September 25th 2021, 9:42am

Wait - people sell their Rolexes!!?

If they had any artwork of value - they would probably keep that in a secure warehouse, too.

These are the same dumbasses who believe a car may be “too valuable” to drive.

Sounds, to me, more like the Ferrari model: There is market demand for 200 units, so we will build 180. “Terribly sorry. Unprecedented demand had them all sell out before we could actually produced any. Leave your check behind and we’ll put you on ‘the list’ for the next opportunity…”

:slap:
Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers...
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » September 25th 2021, 4:02pm

Rolex has somewhat underproduced the market's demand for decades - it's a hallmark of Rolex's marketing strategy and cornerstone of the well deserved iconic status Rolex has achieved.

The practice was bared by the pandemic when Rolex had to cut their usual (under) production, driving demand to the extreme across the board, and the prices to Mars in the secondary market. And as T noted, Rolex has no control over the prices people are paying on the secondary market driven by flippers and opportunistic pre-owned sellers.

Rolex, for its own part, increased prices 7.5% on most of their watches, and 10% on sport models in '20. Prices are yet expected to go up in '21 about 6% or more, reportedly to offset price increases in gold and other commodities, and to adjust for global currency fluctuations.

While the home office doesn't reveal specifics, it would appear that corporate advertising buys are up in '21 over the increased buys in '20 that were in keeping with higher consumer spending that began as economies reopened helping to fuel the demand for luxury products in general. Rolex's co-op advertising allowances for dealers were increased again this year to keep pace with increasing advertising rates. Retailers still have to make themselves known to be Rolex dealers and compete for customers even if all they have to sell is spots on a waiting list.

There are also instances where AD's are known to have charged above MSRP, as serious a violation of the Rolex dealer agreement as discounting is. It does not appear that Rolex has taken any action against any price gouging dealers.

More than a year in with the pandemic, I reckon that a small company like Rolex may not be able to afford to implement the required systems and policies - PPE and social distancing, improved ventilation systems, vaccination requirements, and whatnot - in order to ramp up production back to levels even approaching their usual short production scale without compromising quality. Why, it's a miracle that Rolex employees aren't dropping like flies at their workstations given their heroic efforts to press on and crank out the cut production they are somehow able to achieve. /s.Duh.

In any instance, Rolex is profiting in sales and heritage on the tidal wave that the rabid demand for their product has exponentially contributed to their iconic status, while at the same time, gaining the opportunity to bolster up their uncompromising commitment to excellence that got them there.

Look up serendipity in the dictionary and a picture of the Crown is there.
Last edited by 3Flushes on October 3rd 2021, 12:43am, edited 4 times in total.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » September 25th 2021, 11:35pm

Rolex drought intensifies almost a year after covid forced manufacturing to close

By Rob Corder - January 6, 2021

Rolex is thought to have lost around three months’ worth of production during a manufacturing shut down that began on March 16 last year.

Although the company began to reopen six weeks’ after it was mothballed, strict health and safety measures meant around one quarter of 2020’s expected production was lost to the pandemic.

That is thought to total around quarter of a million watches that would have been manufactured in a normal year.

It also delayed the launch of all 2020 watches from March to September.

The knock on effect of that closure is still being felt today, with authorized dealers, speaking to WatchPro on condition of anonymity, saying the drought has never been worse.

Although Rolex retailers were also forced to close in the second quarter, they continued to take orders through the lock down and sales exploded as they reopened.

This pent-up demand quickly ripped through retailers’ inventories, and Rolex was unable to resupply at the same pace as a normal year.

“I’ve got nothing in the cabinets,” WatchPro was told this weekend. “And we do not know when the first deliveries will be this year.”

Asked whether distribution was shifting watches to Asian markets, which are now almost back to normal, the AD replied that he thought the supply problem was global.
. <<<Ridiculous. How can the shortage remain global if there are markets that have recovered their pre-pandemic inventory allotments.

https://www.watchpro.com/rolex-drought- ... -to-close/
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » October 2nd 2021, 11:08am

^^^^^^ A good point is made by that AD. I mean, for forever, Rolex stores stocked Rolex watches, and when they ran out, they ordered more.

I guess none of this should be surprising at a time where companies can't get goods from rutabagas to car chips. And neither can consumers.
The Best Invicta Ever is: The ones you used to own. - Boscoe
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » October 3rd 2021, 1:32am

TemerityB wrote:
October 2nd 2021, 11:08am
^^^^^^ A good point is made by that AD. I mean, for forever, Rolex stores stocked Rolex watches, and when they ran out, they ordered more.

I guess none of this should be surprising at a time where companies can't get goods from rutabagas to car chips. And neither can consumers.
The date of the article was last January and Asian markets were getting near normal allotments back then, and Rolex opened a couple of company stores in Europe, while US AD's were, and still are, selling spots on waiting lists.

Times are certainly tough for the supply chain, and while covering Rolex, Yahoo Business, Forbes,, and trade publications have alluded to the 'global' supply shortages; seemingly everyone but Rolex, who said nothing about the supply of materials being a problem in their recent 'scarcity statement' which focused on the icon's unwillingness to ramp up production because of their uncompromising commitment to quality. The supply chain issue just doesn't seem to stand up with respect to Rolex's persistent shortage of watches in numerous markets, particularly in the US.

With some markets restored, Rolex is clearly catching up with production - and while the crown is not likely intentionally suppressing supply given the watches in the display cases of AD's in those stocked up markets, they do control distribution, and they are very likely showing favor to preferred AD's and markets (as noted by Business Insider). And in the midst of the feeding frenzy, Rolex has somehow managed to release several new models for 2021, available now, somewhere. It just seems to me that Rolex has been slow to respond to cranking production and distribution back up to their usual scale of availability and underproducing for their worldwide demand, and that they benefit greatly, thereby.

Edited from the original (and reposted as I screwed up and deleted the post) for clarity and to add a reference, and shit.
Last edited by 3Flushes on October 3rd 2021, 2:37am, edited 1 time in total.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » October 3rd 2021, 1:41am

Somehow, some way, the Crown has managed to tool up and produce several new, uncompromisingly crafted models. Get ''em while they're hot folks, waiting list spots are going like wildfire. I reckon travel clubs will soon be providing Rolex buying tours to well stocked overseas markets.

NEW WATCHES 2021

https://newsroom.rolex.com/watches/new-watches

Return to “Rolex & Tudor Forum”