Rolex Air-King Buying Guide

koimaster
Founder

Rolex Air-King Buying Guide

Post by koimaster » June 8th 2021, 7:30pm

These days (following a major redesign), the modern Rolex Air-King is squarely situated as one of the brand’s professional tool watches. However, that hasn’t always been the case. While this watch has always technically been a pilot’s watch, it has largely been a more popular choice for entry-level Rolex collectors thanks to its timeless design and affordable price point. Over the decades, it became more of a cult-favorite on the fringe rather than a mainstream piece beloved by the masses.

The Rolex Air-King is one of the oldest names in the brand’s catalog with the very first instance of its use dating all the way back to the 1940s. Throughout those years, we’ve seen some great iterations, innovations, and upgrades to this classic and elegant line. We’ve also seen a major shift in positioning by Rolex, stopping production after nearly 7-decades to totally upend the design in favor of turning it back to its original, tool-watch roots.

Here in this guide, we’ll explain the storied history of this timepiece, talk about its value, and outline all of the features, options, and upgrades we’ve seen over the years. If you’re thinking of investing in a Rolex Air-King, we’ve just about compiled everything that you’ll need to make an informed decision right here. So, let’s get started!

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-blog/ ... guide.html

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Rolex Air-King Buying Guide

Post by smellody » June 9th 2021, 8:04pm

conjurer wrote:
June 9th 2021, 8:03pm
smellody wrote:
June 9th 2021, 7:48pm
I like all Rolex. Alas even the humble Air-King is now beyond my means.
the Aire-kling iz a Womens Wartche.
Only when worn by a women and or an individual who may at that moment identify as a woman.

I find the Air-King butch and would be proud to sport one.
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » June 9th 2021, 8:24pm

smellody wrote:
June 9th 2021, 8:04pm
conjurer wrote:
smellody wrote:
Only when worn by a women and or an individual who may at that moment identify as a woman.

Actually (ditching the geekish thing), I wore an Air-King for many years. At the time, I didn't think a bit about the size, which was, IIRC, 34mm. Today, I think the AK would be a little too small for my liking. Has Rollie increase the size?
smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by smellody » June 9th 2021, 8:41pm

conjurer wrote:
June 9th 2021, 8:24pm
smellody wrote:
June 9th 2021, 8:04pm
conjurer wrote:
smellody wrote:

Actually (ditching the geekish thing), I wore an Air-King for many years. At the time, I didn't think a bit about the size, which was, IIRC, 34mm. Today, I think the AK would be a little too small for my liking. Has Rollie increase the size?

The modern Air-King is an oversized beefy 40mm. Rolex writes:

With its 40mm case in Oystersteel, solid-link Oyster bracelet with Oysterclasp, and distinctive black dial, the Air-King perpetuates the aeronautical heritage of the original Rolex Oyster.

I'm wearing a 34mm watch as I type. It is plenty big. And I am big, beefy man.

Return to “Rolex & Tudor Forum”