Evolution of the Rolex Datejust

koimaster
Founder

Evolution of the Rolex Datejust

Post by koimaster » September 19th 2020, 10:33pm

What does the perfect watch look like? Automatic winding, three hands, a date display, accurate, sturdy and water resistant — you really don’t need more than that. No wonder the first watch with just these characteristics was a great success: the Rolex Datejust, which first appeared in 1945. Perfection is often achieved in small steps and so it was with Rolex. The brand introduced the water-resistant Oyster in 1926 and added the Perpetual automatic movement in 1931. The perfect watch for everyday wear was then created with the Oyster Perpetual Datejust.

Rolex founder Hans Wilsdorf not only had a feel for the needs of the market; he also knew how to position his brand and its innovative technology to be both interesting and eye-catching. The names he chose were ingenious: the waterproof Oyster case, the Perpetual movement (to describe the movement of the wrist that continuously winds the mainspring) and the Datejust model (to highlight the instantaneous advancement of the date at midnight).

https://www.watchtime.com/featured/perf ... 728bd6f117

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Evolution of the Rolex Datejust

Post by TemerityB » September 20th 2020, 10:40am

Versatile watch that always stands the test of time. Always my answer to "If you could own only one watch, what would it be" whenever the question comes up.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
MKTheVintageBloke (Online)
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » September 20th 2020, 11:38am

The article is somewhat lacking. Goes in huge leaps, overlooking a ton of Datejust models in between the models mentioned. So, there's the Bubblebacks, then suddenly the Oysterquartz, and then a jump to the Datejusts of today. The 1601/1603, 16010/16030 and the "Thunderbird" aren't even mentioned.
The progression of movements is also wrong. The 1065 has been first introduced in 1955, not 1957. Its successor was the 1565 (introduced in 1959), not the 1570. Oh, and by the way, 1570 is a no-date movement. The date version is the 1575. The 1575 was often signed as the 1570, but if it has a date complication, which is, like, what makes the Datejust the Datejust, it's the 1575.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » September 20th 2020, 2:26pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
September 20th 2020, 11:38am
The article is somewhat lacking. Goes in huge leaps, overlooking a ton of Datejust models in between the models mentioned. So, there's the Bubblebacks, then suddenly the Oysterquartz, and then a jump to the Datejusts of today. The 1601/1603, 16010/16030 and the "Thunderbird" aren't even mentioned.
The progression of movements is also wrong. The 1065 has been first introduced in 1955, not 1957. Its successor was the 1565 (introduced in 1959), not the 1570. Oh, and by the way, 1570 is a no-date movement. The date version is the 1575. The 1575 was often signed as the 1570, but if it has a date complication, which is, like, what makes the Datejust the Datejust, it's the 1575.
Great points. My own model happens to be a 1601.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
Pilliam

Post by Pilliam » October 17th 2020, 3:40am

TemerityB wrote:
September 20th 2020, 10:40am
Versatile watch that always stands the test of time. Always my answer to "If you could own only one watch, what would it be" whenever the question comes up.
Couldn't agree more with your sentiment. My DJ41 is the TT/rose gold with Chocolate dial. One of my favorites, so much so that I've been inclined to get a SS model (just can't ever settle on the dial color...too many choices)
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » October 17th 2020, 12:16pm

Pilliam wrote:
October 17th 2020, 3:40am
TemerityB wrote:
September 20th 2020, 10:40am
Couldn't agree more with your sentiment. My DJ41 is the TT/rose gold with Chocolate dial. One of my favorites, so much so that I've been inclined to get a SS model (just can't ever settle on the dial color...too many choices)
You better post some photos soon! Your collection sounds really great.

Return to “Rolex & Tudor Forum”