Hands-On: Grand Seiko Elegance Collection

Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Hands-On: Grand Seiko Elegance Collection

Post by Racer-X » March 1st 2019, 2:03pm

"The Elegance Collection is, as the name suggests, home to Grand Seiko’s dressier watches. You won’t find one of Grand Seiko’s big chronos or divers here. Instead, the watches making up the Elegance Collection fall on the dressier side of things — the dials are generally cleaner and more classic, the only major complications you’ll find here are a date and GMT function, and most of the watches share the same basic case design that, to my eye, looks less severe than some of Grand Seiko’s other cases and, therefore, I think are more universally palatable. Personally, I’m a big fan of the Elegance Collection, and the Ref. SBGM221 is one of my favorite watches in my collection and, generally speaking, in Seiko’s catalog. "

..I find that to truly appreciate a Grand Seiko watch (and to a lesser extent any watch, really), one does need to see and handle it in the metal. Most Grand Seiko naysayers are only familiar with the brand and its watches from afar, and I’ve known my fair share of converts who “got it” only after getting to try one on. I recently got to go hands-on with the new collection and I was not disappointed. In person, the watches are every bit as nice as I suspected they’d be, and the case, dial, and hands are finished to Grand Seiko’s highest standard."

https://wornandwound.com/review/hands-on-grand-seiko-elegance-collection-refs-sbgk002-sbgk004-sbgk005-and-sbgk006/
robatsu
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Hands-On: Grand Seiko Elegance Collection

Post by robatsu » March 3rd 2019, 2:07am

I think they are attractive. 38.5 mm, pretty thin, etc.

And a reason for a power reserve being hand-wound and all.

The stainless one is a limited edition, with some Mt Iwate artisanility. Eventually, they are going to do a version with the black dial, if not the numerals, of the rose gold model, it is a pure gimme:

Change is hard, one often hears.
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Hands-On: Grand Seiko Elegance Collection

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » March 3rd 2019, 6:25am

OK, now all that GS needs to do is to relocat the sub-second to 6 o'clock, and remove that PR indicator. Or leave the PR indicator, and make it a sweep second. In their current form, these watches are simply boring.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation

Return to “Grand Seiko & Credor”