An introduction to Bruno Söhnle Uhren

koimaster
Founder

An introduction to Bruno Söhnle Uhren

Post by koimaster » October 14th 2019, 8:45am

This post is going to be about a quartz watch. Not a quartz watch of major historical significance, nor one of any particular design note, but simply a quartz watch that a friend of mine recently purchased.

Why? It’s simple, really. It’s can be easy for us to forget that for much if not most of the watch-owning world (and let us not forget that there are people who walk amongst us who don’t even wear a watch [perish the thought!]), buying a new watch is something that you do when the one that has been serving you well dies; that for most people, the old watch is quartz, and the new one will also be quartz.

I was set a task. A friend was in need of a new watch after his Citizen (purchased in the early 1990s) had reached the point where it required CPR every morning to get it moving. He gave me the following requirements – under A$400, dress watch, time and date, quartz, and able to be examined and purchased in person. Not an uncommon set of requirements, I’d wager.

It’s easy to find watches which fall into that category; you can get some good looking reliable Seikos for that price, amongst other brands, but what if you think you want something more interesting? More distinctive? What then?

Well in this instance, after some browsing and consultation (Seiko – pass. Citizen – pass. Swatch – pass. Tissot – pass. Skagen – pass. Various other brands – pass etc), a previously unknown brand was discovered – Bruno Söhnle Uhren from Glashütte.

https://horologium.com.au/2012/09/13/an ... nle-uhren/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: An introduction to Bruno Söhnle Uhren

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » October 14th 2019, 5:34pm

I have seen one Sohnle watch in the metal. Seemed decent. Plus, it's somewhat uncommon for manufacturers to actually care about the finishing of quartz movements. I mean, fucking Geneva stripes? On a quartz? Not something you see every day. Still, they're overpriced for what they are. Any Citizen Eco-Drive is already the better thing.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
gerdson
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: An introduction to Bruno Söhnle Uhren

Post by gerdson » October 15th 2019, 12:36am

Bruno once was a rather common German Firstname. Nowadays, I recon, only dogs are called Bruno.
The company is doing nice looking watches, but very obviously also tries to take advantage of the "Glashuette" label. My watchmaker in Germany took them on in his jewellery store, I think back in 2010-2012 somewhere, so I had a look at parts of their collection at that time. He personally rated them as "very good value".
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Return to “Quartz Watches”