Ultimate Guide to High Accuracy Quartz Watches

koimaster
Founder

Ultimate Guide to High Accuracy Quartz Watches

Post by koimaster » April 24th 2018, 12:14pm

Walk into any horological meetup with a quartz watch on and you’re likely to get the door slammed in your face. I kid, I kid — but only partly. Ever since the mechanical watch industry made its recovery in the face of a specific doom brought on by Japanese watchmakers, many so-called watch enthusiasts (snobs might be the more appropriate nom de guerre) have outright refused to let a battery-operated watch end up on their wrists. Is that fair? Depends — of course anybody that calls themselves a timepiece enthusiast most likely fell in love with mechanical watches, but that doesn’t necessarily mean quartz watches should be left out in the cold. Over the past decade-plus, there have been some fascinating developments in the quartz sphere that have led to a new field of watches called HAQ (High Accuracy Quartz) that make precision the primary objective. An easy guideline to remember is that any quartz watch that boasts a plus or minus rate of ten seconds per year can be deemed HAQ. While this field is still dominated in full by our friends out of Japan, a few Swiss brands have tossed their hat into the ring and are trying to figure out the next stage in precision timekeeping. For the sake of this article, we’ll be defining HAQ as one that has an inherent regulator rather than something that relies on an outside force liken an atomic clock or GPS to maintain accuracy.

https://www.watchtime.com/featured/high ... -seiko-9f/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Ultimate Guide to High Accuracy Quartz Watches

Post by TemerityB » April 24th 2018, 7:57pm

That Citizen reminds me of tiktok's. Both are real lookers, man.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
SynMike
Founding Member

Post by SynMike » April 24th 2018, 8:04pm

I've got the Bulova Accutron II. My Omega Aqua Terra might not be qualified as a HAQ, but it seems to match or possibly beat my Bulova. With that kind of accuracy, I like that when I travel I can adjust just the hour hand of the Omega while the seconds and minute hand stay tracking time.

This article supposes that HAQ might have some appeal to watch enthusiasts that normal quartz does not. I don't think the lure is all that big, in the majority of cases I think watch enthusiasts either buy quartz or they don't. The group that says I won't buy quartz but I'll buy an HAQ is probably pretty small. But maybe I'm wrong.

These 2 stay within a second a month:

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Pubbie » April 25th 2018, 3:11am

I have an oldish Breitling Colt Chrono. It may be ghey, with all polished surfaces and a dial with far too much going on, and it isn't from a popular maison, but it has stomping accuracy (I don't think I've ever actually adjusted the minute hand) and a quickset hour hand for timezone changes. The Breitling bezel that everyone loves so much is useful for tracking a second timezone, and because it's raised, after 12 - or is it 13 - years the AR coated crystal is still scratch-free. From time to time I have seriously thought about binning everything and just using this one.

My Certina DS-4 on the other hand has a movement that cost about 10 pee and even that is only a few seconds adrift at the end of the month.
Last edited by Pubbie on April 25th 2018, 10:24am, edited 1 time in total.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » April 25th 2018, 3:15am

The Breitling Superquartz is a cool watch- probably be my next addition. I have a friend in the military who has one and it is a lot of fun to play with. He likes the horrible strap with the gigantic branding. I hate that shit. Mines is going to have a black canvas strap with yellow stitching from SNPR Leather Works.

I have a few of their straps and they are as good as the best and better than the rest. Some of their stuff is reasonably priced, bridle leather 2 piece, $100, others are pretty pretty pricey, canvas $270, however, the canvas is sewn over Horween leather which makes them incredibly comfortable and they hold their shape forever unlike most of the ones sewn over some kind of stuffing or another. I ordered black with orange stitching for my PO.

BTW- if you want to check out the canvas straps, in the pics on their site all of the samples have military looking text on them- M-9, or a string of numbers -nice for the right watch- but you can order them without it. I ordered black with orange stitching for my PO.
Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.

Return to “Quartz Watches”