Water Resistance – The Truth Is Out There

Dedicated to Dive watches
koimaster (Online)
Founder

Water Resistance – The Truth Is Out There

Post by koimaster » September 3rd 2021, 11:50am

Confused about water resistance ratings? Don't worry, you're not alone. Let us guide you through the minefield and bust those myths!

There is something satisfying about snorkelling in clear azure water and looking at your watch through a diving mask, ticking away resisting the elements. Almost all my water-resistant watches have been underwater, even if it’s just a swimming pool, and the few I own guaranteed to be waterproof, have all been in the oceans.

Rest assured, this is not going to turn into a tale about how it is safe to take your Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch underwater – we’ll leave that trend to daft YouTubers.

This is a feature about water resistance ratings and what they mean in the real world. It will aim to debunk myths, clarify conflicting data, and offer helpful suggestions.

In the interests of full disclosure, I confess to speaking from bitter experience. As a teen I embarked on my first snorkelling adventure in the Indian Ocean wearing a “waterproof” digital watch. With my arm barely submerged I was supremely confident as my watch stated it could resist water to 30m or 98.4ft. After conquering the ocean, you can imagine my disappointment to see the watch steam up, form moisture inside the glass, and slowly die.

I simply did not understand what 30 meters water resistance meant. Thankfully the next day I spoke to an experienced diver. The conversation was a revelation and by the end of the week I was sporting a brand new 100m stainless Casio Diver ref: AMW 320D-9EV.

https://www.watchgecko.com/water-resist ... out-there/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."

Return to “Dive Watches”