Certina is the new Doxa

Dedicated to Dive watches
biglove
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Certina is the new Doxa

Post by biglove » November 11th 2020, 4:06pm

Goddammit, Certina. Don't go full stupid with this shit. You make damned fine watches at grey market price. Don't fuck it up!
"When things are at their darkest, pal, it's a brave man that can kick back and party." - Lt. Tuck Pendleton, Innerspace
bedlam (Online)
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » November 11th 2020, 7:23pm

I like the DS. The marketing tripe, less so.

The orange increases underwater legibility as long as you don't go past 1.5m deep. But that wouldn't be diving would it, that would be snorkelling.

The extra supplied NATOs will be useless unless they are rubber, which isn't specified...so they probably aren't. Nylon is useless for diving no matter how may lengths you offer.

Testing by divers is good...but they would have told you the orange didn't help at depth and they needed rubber NATOs. Why didn't you listen to them?
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » November 12th 2020, 4:11pm

They had to come up with some way to explain why they put orange on the dial other than the truth, which is that it looks cool.

You see this marketing drivel everywhere. Rather than just say, "'Cause it looks cool!", marketeers go to great lengths to create a real-world, manly reason for those plastic fender flares, fluorescent soles, pant sizes 10 times too large for anyone, and orange dials on a watch.

And that shit works. Just look at how many suburbanites are driving F-250's down to Whole Foods to pick up some organic kombucha or chia seed energy bars before they drive down to the gym to terrorize other members by swinging kettle bells in all sorts of directions while trying to stay balanced on a large rubber ball. Not to mention the freaky spandex outfits they are wearing. (spandex makes average look hot and hot look in dire need of hosing down)

I like the orange dial color. I like the look of dive watches. I don't dive and haven't snorkeled in decades. I'm old and jaded and therefore not the object of anyone's advertising attempts anymore. Advertisers like'em young and dumb. Just like the military, they know which minds are most easily molded.
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » November 12th 2020, 6:33pm

bbattle wrote:
November 12th 2020, 4:11pm
They had to come up with some way to explain why they put orange on the dial other than the truth, which is that it looks cool.

You see this marketing drivel everywhere. Rather than just say, "'Cause it looks cool!", marketeers go to great lengths to create a real-world, manly reason for those plastic fender flares, fluorescent soles, pant sizes 10 times too large for anyone, and orange dials on a watch.

And that shit works. Just look at how many suburbanites are driving F-250's down to Whole Foods to pick up some organic kombucha or chia seed energy bars before they drive down to the gym to terrorize other members by swinging kettle bells in all sorts of directions while trying to stay balanced on a large rubber ball. Not to mention the freaky spandex outfits they are wearing. (spandex makes average look hot and hot look in dire need of hosing down)

I like the orange dial color. I like the look of dive watches. I don't dive and haven't snorkeled in decades. I'm old and jaded and therefore not the object of anyone's advertising attempts anymore. Advertisers like'em young and dumb. Just like the military, they know which minds are most easily molded.
Indeed. That's why the 18 - 40 demographic is the most highly prized. It's the aspirational thing. Much older than that and most folks have managed to see things for what they are.
"Open the pod bay doors, Hal." "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

Return to “Davy Jones' Locker”