Facebook ID: 0

Re: Just a gratuitious picture.....

Post by Giclee1dotcom] » June 13th 2020, 7:31am

artman wrote:
June 12th 2020, 6:16pm
bbattle wrote:
June 12th 2020, 11:15am
Very Bazingeresque!
Nice shot but there needs to 40 more from the same angle to be truly Bazinga-esque.
Agreed but I was too busy being Bazinga'd by the females walking around in their bikinis!

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." - General James Mattis
Giclee1dotcom]

Post by Giclee1dotcom] » June 13th 2020, 4:26pm

3Flushes wrote:
June 13th 2020, 10:20am
Composition's really nice. Now all you have to do is open it up a stop and focus on the dial instead of the crystal- which will require MANUAL focus, or, better manual focus, and Bazinga! Bingo!
If you click on the image and look at if full size the dial looks plenty sharp to me and I don't agree with opening up the exposure one stop, it would look washed out. Maybe you don't have a calibrated monitor like mine is.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." - General James Mattis
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » June 15th 2020, 9:19am

Giclee1dotcom] wrote:
June 13th 2020, 4:26pm
3Flushes wrote:
Composition's really nice. Now all you have to do is open it up a stop and focus on the dial instead of the crystal- which will require MANUAL focus, or, better manual focus, and Bazinga! Bingo!
If you click on the image and look at if full size the dial looks plenty sharp to me and I don't agree with opening up the exposure one stop, it would look washed out. Maybe you don't have a calibrated monitor like mine is.
Sorry, I didn't realize you let the camera do everything and then make up for it in the 'darkroom'.

Never mind.
Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.
Giclee1dotcom]

Post by Giclee1dotcom] » June 15th 2020, 9:32am

3Flushes wrote:
June 15th 2020, 9:19am
Giclee1dotcom] wrote:
3Flushes wrote:
Sorry, I didn't realize you let the camera do everything and then make up for it in the 'darkroom'.

Never mind.
I have no idea what you're talking about. The image is directly out of the camera with no post processing. Auto focus was used but auto focus will not focus directly on the crystal as there's no detail/contrast in the crystal itself, therefore auto focus locks in on the dial behind the crystal where there's some detail/contrast for it to lock on to. The exposure is spot on as an additional 1 stop would completely blow out the highlight values in the brightest part of the watch case. I think you need to invest in a properly calibrated monitor.

3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » June 15th 2020, 11:53am

Giclee1dotcom] wrote:
June 15th 2020, 9:32am
3Flushes wrote:
Giclee1dotcom] wrote:
3Flushes wrote:

Never mind.
I have no idea what you're talking about. The image is directly out of the camera with no post processing. Auto focus was used but auto focus will not focus directly on the crystal as there's no detail/contrast in the crystal itself, therefore auto focus locks in on the dial behind the crystal where there's some detail/contrast for it to lock on to. The exposure is spot on as an additional 1 stop would completely blow out the highlight values in the brightest part of the watch case. I think you need to invest in a properly calibrated monitor.
I think you should invest in a split image focusing screen and stop letting your camera set your exposure- with or without compensation etc for product shots- if you want to shoot killer landscapes, put a nice rock or a turtle or something there, a shell- The movement is killer- the ribbon of color that runs to and thru the watch and down to the ocean, nice. Tiffen 812 warming filter and a good set of ND filters* will help balance everything out and keep things spectral in the highlights. There's too much DOF in the foreground for a product shot- an extra stop properly compensated for will soften it up and some laser focus on the product- Seiko'd buy that mother. If you insist on using autofocus *sigh* be sure and use the focus lock and the mirror lock with the rig on a tripod.

* ND and the 812 can be, but need not be, used together.

PS- holding the highlights in the metal while keeping Haley's fucking Comet out of the crystal is a scream, ehh? Use a little fill flash? Bwaahahahahahahahahaha shooting watches is a pain in the balls.
Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » June 15th 2020, 6:06pm

I know doodle squat about photography except that what appears to be a good shot can be made so much better by subtle tweaks.

Taking the time to learn those tweaks has escaped my attention span so I rely on autofocus for everything.

I have taken my camera and photographed the same teddy bear at every setting possible and while I could see the differences, good ol' autofocus seemed to be a quite reasonable compromise for me.

But close up photographs on objects like watches is tough even for autofocus mode. I've had a terrible time with it and so on the WURW threads you're likely to get a stock photo over my efforts.

I recently purchased an inspection microscope/camera setup for work so I will need to spend some time getting familiar with it. If I wasn't such a wuss, I'd use it to take photos of my watches but the boss would sure enough walk in during such a photo shoot. I could always say I was using the watch as a test part in order to calibrate the 'scope.
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » June 15th 2020, 8:03pm

Giclee1dotcom] wrote:
June 15th 2020, 9:32am
3Flushes wrote:
Giclee1dotcom] wrote:
3Flushes wrote:

Never mind.
Dude, he's fucking with you :lol:
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.

Return to “Dive Watches”