WIS Divemaster
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Talking With Dive Watch Expert Jason Heaton

Post by bedlam » September 18th 2019, 4:33am

FFS why did I click that.

- saturation diving isn't related to mixed gas diving
- nobody ever dived 1000m on open circuit, the record is 332m
- the body does not need less oxygen at depth
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
foghorn (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by foghorn » September 18th 2019, 5:55am

bedlam wrote:
September 18th 2019, 4:33am

WTF took you so long? I waited all day for your take.
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » September 18th 2019, 6:57am

bedlam wrote:
Because you wondered how many things can the Donkeys get wrong about diving and dive watches.

The interview is from 2 years ago, from the discontinued Friday Live, which was basically two Donkeys at a time jerking each other off verbally on camera.
Now it has been replaced with the Hoodwinkee Radio podcasts, an audio-only act of a Donkey and an invited "famous" guest jerking each other off.

Fuck the Donkeys.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » September 18th 2019, 5:23pm

foghorn wrote:
September 18th 2019, 5:55am
bedlam wrote:

WTF took you so long? I waited all day for your take.
I expected it would be shit and resisted punishing myself.

The other thing Heaton said that I wasn't keen on, but wasn't wrong as such, was about water resistance. He says you only need a 100m dive watch for diving. What about for a 110m dive? Clearly he was referring to the recreational diving he does, though that wasn't what he was being asked.

Also, the claim that the first 18m is the best for diving because that where all the life is...well that's not right. Most people would say the bulk of the fun stuff is in the first 30-40m (after that there is less light and therefore less coral and therefore less fish, etc). Not sure where he pulled the 18m thing from.

I agree with him that a dive watch with a central chrono register and depth sensor showing maximum and current depth would be the perfect redundancy for your dive computer. Never seen that beast though.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » September 18th 2019, 5:50pm

For shits and giggles I'll explain what it is Jason doesn't understand about oxygen requirements at depth.

Our atmosphere has 21% O2 at sea level and that is what we are used to breathing. From sea level every 10m deeper you dive adds the equivalent pressure of another atmosphere. At 10m you have pressure on you of the earth's atmosphere + another atmosphere of water (which = 2 atmospheres). Your gas regulator has to give you air to breathe that is at least equal to this pressure. Every 10m you go down adds another atmosphere of pressure to this.

That means you are getting more molecules of oxygen and nitrogen in each breath than you would at the surface (2 atmospheres = twice as many, 3 atmospheres = 3 times as man, etc). At 40m you have 5 atmospheres of pressure so the air being given to you by the regulator will have 5 times more molecules of oxygen and nitrogen than at sea level.

5 x 21% oxygen is 100% Your body has a limit on how much gas concentration per breath it can cope with and 140% oxygen is the safe limit. Breathing normal air from your tanks you would hit that limit at 55m.

If you want to go deeper you have to have less oxygen in the mix from the beginning. They do this by putting helium in to dilute the amount of oxygen (and nitrogen) in the mix. So you could add helium so you only have 17% oxygen in the gas mix at the surface. This would let you dive to 72m before you hit the 140% oxygen limit.

Jason has confused the reduced oxygen in the mix at the surface with how much oxygen your body needs at depth. He hasn't done any deep diving and seems to think the lower O2 mix is because your body musn't need as much oxygen down deep. In reality it needs the same amount (but is getting fed more than it needs and we have to control for that).
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » September 18th 2019, 6:58pm

Didn’t watch the video, knew Bedlam would give us the real stuff and he did. Never understood the ins and outs of mixed gas diving. Now I have a basic grasp.

This place and the Lords are what a forum should be.
"Never insult anyone by accident."-Robert A. Heinlein

https://imgur.com/h3UXafB
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » September 25th 2019, 11:35pm

biglove wrote:
September 18th 2019, 6:58pm
Didn’t watch the video, knew Bedlam would give us the real stuff and he did. Never understood the ins and outs of mixed gas diving. Now I have a basic grasp.

This place and the Lords are what a forum should be.
Cheers Bigs :-)

I will add to my post a couple of things.

The reason you see guys doing deep dives with multiple tanks is that every breath you take at 40m uses 5x as much air as you would at sea level...which means you use your tanks up quickly when you are deep. So they might take a couple of tanks to compensate.

Also, if you dive really deep you need to start with only a tiny amount of oxygen in the mix at the top. At 100m you are getting 11 atmospheres of pressure. For a 100m dive you might use a 10% O2 mix. You can't breathe that at the surface so you would have that clipped off somewhere on your body and you would take another tank with at least 16% O2 as a 'travel gas' to get you deep enough to start using the low-O2 (anoxic) cylinder.

You would also carry additional cylinders with high O2 concentrations (50% - 100%) so that when you come close to the surface (around 6m) you can use the high O2 gas to flush the nitrogen out of your system quickly and reduce the time you need to 'off-gas' in decompression.

So for 100m dive you might have 5 tanks attached; 1 cylinder for travel gas to get down, 2 anoxic tanks for the deep bit, 1 nitrox to start early on decompression as you ascend, and 1 100% O2 deco tank for near the surface to reduce deco time.

Return to “Dive Watches”