Dive watch visibility: domed vs flat crystals

Dedicated to Dive watches
Post Reply
User avatar
bedlam
WIS Divemaster
Posts: 8920
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)
Contact:

Dive watch visibility: domed vs flat crystals

Post by bedlam » August 16th 2015, 3:19am

The issue of whether domed or flat crystals are better for visibility on dive watches has been discussed many times. I decided to take a couple of Seiko dive watches for a comparison. We took them to a local jetty for a bit of a 'muck dive'. The water depth is 10m, water temp 15C, visibility 6-7m. There were quite a few critters but we are here for the watches today :-)

Shot from several angles at a distance similar to what a diver would see from, in mostly natural light;

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image



What do you think?
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
Posts: 14153
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Deep South
Contact:

Re: Dive watch visibility: domed vs flat crystals

Post by biglove » August 16th 2015, 5:19am

Racer-X wrote:Looks like no contest to me. Too much glare on the domed.


I am no diver, but it appears from the photos that the domed does indeed distort the view? Makes sense as I see the same distortion on land with domes crystals.

If anything, I would think that it is even more so underwater?
"I always complain because I'm old now and everything hurts."-Mike Rowe
User avatar
bedlam
WIS Divemaster
Posts: 8920
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)
Contact:

Re: Dive watch visibility: domed vs flat crystals

Post by bedlam » August 16th 2015, 6:35am

biglove wrote:
Racer-X wrote:Looks like no contest to me. Too much glare on the domed.


I am no diver, but it appears from the photos that the domed does indeed distort the view? Makes sense as I see the same distortion on land with domes crystals.

If anything, I would think that it is even more so underwater?


Yes...the depth perception gets amplified and makes the dome look more pronounced. It makes chapter ring markers look longer too
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
User avatar
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Posts: 16886
Joined: June 12th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: Dive watch visibility: domed vs flat crystals

Post by TemerityB » August 16th 2015, 7:40am

No question the domed is harder to read from an angle, especially.

bed, you've done it again; another great post. My hat's off to ya.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
User avatar
gerdson
Master of Time
Posts: 2620
Joined: January 7th 2013, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Just north of Northern Krautland
Contact:

Re: Dive watch visibility: domed vs flat crystals

Post by gerdson » August 16th 2015, 10:26pm

Interesting, and I hadn't expected this. What material are the crystals - both saphire? Coated? Do You have any reference to acrylic glass?
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
User avatar
bedlam
WIS Divemaster
Posts: 8920
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)
Contact:

Re: Dive watch visibility: domed vs flat crystals

Post by bedlam » August 17th 2015, 12:42am

gerdson wrote:Interesting, and I hadn't expected this. What material are the crystals - both saphire? Coated? Do You have any reference to acrylic glass?


Both hardlex. I think the Tuna has internal AR(??) but not sure about the 007. I haven't noticed any difference on refection/clarity in the water between harlex and sapphire. I don't have any acrylic crystal watches....and I'm not sure they would work on a dive watch.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
User avatar
jason_recliner
ASSHAT
Posts: 7293
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Dive watch visibility: domed vs flat crystals

Post by jason_recliner » August 17th 2015, 9:37am

The finest crystal I've had the pleasure of owning:

Image

Domed.


The second finest crystal I've had the pleasure of peering through:

Image

Domed.


The flat crystal on my current watch:

Image

One big reflection.

What was that you were saying about digital pictures on the internet proving anything?

Conclusion: there is more science in one of my farts than this entire thread!
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
koimaster
Founder
Posts: 41415
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon, Thanks for visiting! Now go back home!
Contact:

Re: Dive watch visibility: domed vs flat crystals

Post by koimaster » August 17th 2015, 10:21am

jason_recliner wrote:
What was that you were saying about digital pictures on the internet proving anything?

Conclusion: there is more science in one of my farts than this entire thread!



Those photos while very nice as are the watches are not underwater. I photo of your tub divers in the pond or even a reflecting pool might be better.



[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt9rvaijpPY[/youtube]
Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
jason_recliner
ASSHAT
Posts: 7293
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Dive watch visibility: domed vs flat crystals

Post by jason_recliner » August 17th 2015, 10:28am

koimaster wrote:
jason_recliner wrote:
What was that you were saying about digital pictures on the internet proving anything?

Conclusion: there is more science in one of my farts than this entire thread!



Those photos while very nice as are the watches are not underwater. I photo of your tub divers in the pond or even a reflecting pool might be better.



[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt9rvaijpPY[/youtube]


No point. The pics would just show whatever I want them to show, regardless of whether they are submerged or not.

But physics is physics.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
bedlam
WIS Divemaster
Posts: 8920
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)
Contact:

Re: Dive watch visibility: domed vs flat crystals

Post by bedlam » August 17th 2015, 10:01pm

jason_recliner wrote:
koimaster wrote:
jason_recliner wrote:
What was that you were saying about digital pictures on the internet proving anything?

Conclusion: there is more science in one of my farts than this entire thread!


Those photos while very nice as are the watches are not underwater. I photo of your tub divers in the pond or even a reflecting pool might be better.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt9rvaijpPY[/youtube]


No point. The pics would just show whatever I want them to show, regardless of whether they are submerged or not.

But physics is physics.


Physics is why there are the reflections everyone else can clearly see.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
Post Reply

Return to “Dive Watches”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest