Stolas watches - shell game?

Dedicated to Dive watches
User avatar
PiningforElgin
Member
Posts: 303
Joined: July 2nd 2017, 11:41am
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: Stolas watches - shell game?

Post by PiningforElgin » August 28th 2017, 3:37pm

koimaster wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:
TemerityB wrote:Haters! You have to get a Stolas - the wisses at WUS told you to!

Haven't you learned anything?!??


What does WUS have to do with this?



The brand was highly promoted over at WUS and if that occurs, cattle run over each other to get to the water (watch). WUS is famous for selling forum brands which would never fly elsewhere. Look at Doxa which finally admitted it came out with the dive watches again in response to forum request (they had been pushing). Same with a few other brands. At one time they were pushing Ernest benz, lower end angular momentums and other shitty watches made to appear as better brands. I case if you put enough make-up on a pig it may still be a pig but you could sell it as a lady. ;)

http://www.watchlords.com/forum/viewtop ... ch#p342773


Sure, this Stolas crap had been a scam. It's very unfortunate it happened. Thanks for the information.

However I don't see anything wrong with a forum-requested watch that wouldn't fly elsewhere. If 100 people on a forum want a watch of a certain specs that no mainstream company sells and people outside of the forum don't want, then Doxa makes one and sell to the 100 forum members, that's called serving a demand. That's a bad thing?

If I want a watch for myself with certain features that aren't offered elsewhere, I band with some likeminded people to order a forum watch to be custom made. That option is a good thing
User avatar
koimaster
Founder
Posts: 41439
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon, Thanks for visiting! Now go back home!
Contact:

Re: Stolas watches - shell game?

Post by koimaster » August 28th 2017, 3:51pm

PiningforElgin wrote:
Sure, this Stolas crap had been a scam. It's very unfortunate it happened. Thanks for the information.

However I don't see anything wrong with a forum-requested watch that wouldn't fly elsewhere. If 100 people on a forum want a watch of a certain specs that no mainstream company sells and people outside of the forum don't want, then Doxa makes one and sell to the 100 forum members, that's called serving a demand. That's a bad thing?

If I want a watch for myself with certain features that aren't offered elsewhere, I band with some likeminded people to order a forum watch to be custom made. That option is a good thing


And it happens all of the time if you look at watches such as Chris Ward and the like. But in the case of doxa they came up with the same bullshit Invicta did. We are the same company (they are not) and a whole list of fucking lies that the fanbois buy into and defend like little pricks. The doxa bitches have threatened me (posted on this forum by the way) more than once, we had a doxa admin try to troll the place http://watchlords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19624 and far more. Companies that target forums such as boschett and other micro brands all at least tried to be straight forward about things. Doxa on the other hand has a made up history since 1978.
Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
Hawk
ASSHAT
Posts: 10166
Joined: October 8th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: Stolas watches - shell game?

Post by Hawk » August 28th 2017, 3:52pm

PiningforElgin wrote:Sure, this Stolas crap had been a scam. It's very unfortunate it happened. Thanks for the information.

However I don't see anything wrong with a forum-requested watch that wouldn't fly elsewhere. If 100 people on a forum want a watch of a certain specs that no mainstream company sells and people outside of the forum don't want, then Doxa makes one and sell to the 100 forum members, that's called serving a demand. That's a bad thing?

If I want a watch for myself with certain features that aren't offered elsewhere, I band with some likeminded people to order a forum watch to be custom made. That option is a good thing


It's a bad thing if they lie about country of origin - and they (Doxa) did. Repeatedly and vociferously.

The option as you note is a good thing but it shouldn't have to carry mendacity as part of its baggage.





Edited to add: Damn - beat by Koi by about 20 seconds.
Image
User avatar
PiningforElgin
Member
Posts: 303
Joined: July 2nd 2017, 11:41am
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: Stolas watches - shell game?

Post by PiningforElgin » August 28th 2017, 4:07pm

koimaster wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:
Sure, this Stolas crap had been a scam. It's very unfortunate it happened. Thanks for the information.

However I don't see anything wrong with a forum-requested watch that wouldn't fly elsewhere. If 100 people on a forum want a watch of a certain specs that no mainstream company sells and people outside of the forum don't want, then Doxa makes one and sell to the 100 forum members, that's called serving a demand. That's a bad thing?

If I want a watch for myself with certain features that aren't offered elsewhere, I band with some likeminded people to order a forum watch to be custom made. That option is a good thing


And it happens all of the time if you look at watches such as Chris Ward and the like. But in the case of doxa they came up with the same bullshit Invicta did. We are the same company (they are not) and a whole list of fucking lies that the fanbois buy into and defend like little pricks. The doxa bitches have threatened me (posted on this forum by the way) more than once, we had a doxa admin try to troll the place viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19624 and far more. Companies that target forums such as boschett and other micro brands all at least tried to be straight forward about things. Doxa on the other hand has a made up history since 1978.


That is terrible and I concur. I wrongly assumed you meant all forum-requested watches are bad - an assumption I retract now
User avatar
bedlam
WIS Divemaster
Posts: 8921
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)
Contact:

Re: Stolas watches - shell game?

Post by bedlam » August 28th 2017, 7:38pm

PiningforElgin wrote:
koimaster wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:
Sure, this Stolas crap had been a scam. It's very unfortunate it happened. Thanks for the information.

However I don't see anything wrong with a forum-requested watch that wouldn't fly elsewhere. If 100 people on a forum want a watch of a certain specs that no mainstream company sells and people outside of the forum don't want, then Doxa makes one and sell to the 100 forum members, that's called serving a demand. That's a bad thing?

If I want a watch for myself with certain features that aren't offered elsewhere, I band with some likeminded people to order a forum watch to be custom made. That option is a good thing


And it happens all of the time if you look at watches such as Chris Ward and the like. But in the case of doxa they came up with the same bullshit Invicta did. We are the same company (they are not) and a whole list of fucking lies that the fanbois buy into and defend like little pricks. The doxa bitches have threatened me (posted on this forum by the way) more than once, we had a doxa admin try to troll the place http://watchlords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19624 and far more. Companies that target forums such as boschett and other micro brands all at least tried to be straight forward about things. Doxa on the other hand has a made up history since 1978.


That is terrible and I concur. I wrongly assumed you meant all forum-requested watches are bad - an assumption I retract now

The guys behind Doxa/ISOfrane/Jenny/Aquadive were why I was banned from WUS. The advertisers were being given moderator level access and could see details about posters. Ernie had conniptions when I exposed that the Synchron (Doxa) guys had used forum details to identify me and had emailed me back-channel with threats to stop questioning the voracity of their claims on WUS. He banned me permanently before changing the privacy rules.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Posts: 31784
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Stolas watches - shell game?

Post by conjurer » August 28th 2017, 8:08pm

bedlam wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:
koimaster wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:
Sure, this Stolas crap had been a scam. It's very unfortunate it happened. Thanks for the information.

However I don't see anything wrong with a forum-requested watch that wouldn't fly elsewhere. If 100 people on a forum want a watch of a certain specs that no mainstream company sells and people outside of the forum don't want, then Doxa makes one and sell to the 100 forum members, that's called serving a demand. That's a bad thing?

If I want a watch for myself with certain features that aren't offered elsewhere, I band with some likeminded people to order a forum watch to be custom made. That option is a good thing


And it happens all of the time if you look at watches such as Chris Ward and the like. But in the case of doxa they came up with the same bullshit Invicta did. We are the same company (they are not) and a whole list of fucking lies that the fanbois buy into and defend like little pricks. The doxa bitches have threatened me (posted on this forum by the way) more than once, we had a doxa admin try to troll the place http://watchlords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19624 and far more. Companies that target forums such as boschett and other micro brands all at least tried to be straight forward about things. Doxa on the other hand has a made up history since 1978.


That is terrible and I concur. I wrongly assumed you meant all forum-requested watches are bad - an assumption I retract now

The guys behind Doxa/ISOfrane/Jenny/Aquadive were why I was banned from WUS. The advertisers were being given moderator level access and could see details about posters. Ernie had conniptions when I exposed that the Synchron (Doxa) guys had used forum details to identify me and had emailed me back-channel with threats to stop questioning the voracity of their claims on WUS. He banned me permanently before changing the privacy rules.


Fucking Earnie was the Stalin of watch fora, in that he so totally banned Bedlam that you can't even type his name at WUS without it appearing as *******. Given Bed's communistic tendencies, I find this rather amusing.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
User avatar
bedlam
WIS Divemaster
Posts: 8921
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)
Contact:

Re: Stolas watches - shell game?

Post by bedlam » August 28th 2017, 10:56pm

conjurer wrote:Fucking Earnie was the Stalin of watch fora, in that he so totally banned Bedlam that you can't even type his name at WUS without it appearing as *******. Given Bed's communistic tendencies, I find this rather amusing.

As someone said another time, I'm the Voldemort of WUS :-)
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
User avatar
AJC
Watchlord WIS
Posts: 6157
Joined: May 14th 2012, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Delaware, United States
Contact:

Re: Stolas watches - shell game?

Post by AJC » August 29th 2017, 4:00am

bedlam wrote:
conjurer wrote:Fucking Earnie was the Stalin of watch fora, in that he so totally banned Bedlam that you can't even type his name at WUS without it appearing as *******. Given Bed's communistic tendencies, I find this rather amusing.


Probably the funniest thing about WUS in my opinion.

That and the fact that ol beds just threw on a pair of Groucho Marx glasses he doesn't even know.
---
-ajc
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Posts: 31784
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Stolas watches - shell game?

Post by conjurer » January 29th 2018, 8:01pm

koimaster wrote:Image


It's pretty unsettling to see somebody willing to spread their ass cheeks for REL Adams (usually it's the other way around)--but if there ever was such a person, Larry Holmack would be the guy.

Personally, if I was Larry, I would have gone the Kurt Cobain route out of the hobby a long time ago, eating myself a blued-steel brunch, and getting out while I was behind. If there ever was a fucking loser in this hobby--and this hobby is, alas, full of 'em--it's Larry.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
User avatar
koimaster
Founder
Posts: 41439
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon, Thanks for visiting! Now go back home!
Contact:

Re: Stolas watches - shell game?

Post by koimaster » October 26th 2018, 10:41am

Thanks to Conjurer for finding this thread again. We all talk about the scumbags on TV who shill cheap watches to the public and do so while lining their pockets, and lubing your ass for a good screwing. Some forget we have other scumbags in this hobby who come into forums, get folks hot and bothered with cheap promises of something for nothing and then screw the buyers without the lube. This clown is one of the latter. Now he is on twitter happily posting about his adventures.

https://twitter.com/stolaas?cn=ZmxleGli ... fsrc=email

https://www.facebook.com/StolasWatch/
Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
koimaster
Founder
Posts: 41439
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon, Thanks for visiting! Now go back home!
Contact:

Re: Stolas watches - shell game?

Post by koimaster » January 8th 2019, 5:03pm

a bump for newbies and a public service to watch folks out there. Beware of scams in this hobby. The POS in this thread is on twitter claiming he is now a whitewater guide.
Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
koimaster
Founder
Posts: 41439
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon, Thanks for visiting! Now go back home!
Contact:

Re: Stolas watches - shell game?

Post by koimaster » April 8th 2019, 12:21pm

https://www.facebook.com/curtis.stolaas


He has moved on it seems. I wonder if anyone ever received refunds from him?
Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Posts: 31784
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Stolas watches - shell game?

Post by conjurer » October 19th 2019, 11:07pm

BigCheez wrote:
October 19th 2019, 9:45pm
I just want to know if Ariel took Ronco Larry up on his offer of modeling the 9” wrist.

Those offers don’t come up every day.
Quite so.

Indeed, it's somewhat surprising that, with all the cunts in This Thing of Ours, I have very rarely actually met one in real life. Certainly, I've met more than a few gonads with Invicter Mighty Hydromaxs on their 9" wrists, or some such, but this was merely by accident. Interestingly, most of these guys were fairly normal, apart from the gene for oversized, vulgar wartchs got somewhat excited in them, possibly due to atmospheric nuclear testing by the French.

I have never, in my life, met a douchebag like Larry Holmack. Or like Buttons, or--thank Christ--like the guy who took off his Sea Hunter and pounded it on the glass of a reputable jeweler's showcase. This is probably due to sheer luck, since, karma-wise, I should have been ass-raped by Mongo by now. I should count my blessings.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
Posts: 14179
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Deep South
Contact:

Re: Stolas watches - shell game?

Post by biglove » October 19th 2019, 11:17pm

koimaster wrote:
April 8th 2019, 12:21pm
https://www.facebook.com/curtis.stolaas


He has moved on it seems. I wonder if anyone ever received refunds from him?
2AFF7533-9F49-4AB2-98C6-3D8C624E0D3E.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I believe in a God who doesn't need heavy financing." Irwin M. Fletcher, Fletch Lives, 1989
User avatar
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS
Posts: 1018
Joined: July 11th 2019, 2:51pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: Stolas watches - shell game?

Post by bbattle » June 6th 2020, 3:56pm

he's still active on twitter: https://twitter.com/stolaas
Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 5.54.01 PM.png
He has reviewed a hip pack for the leafincreek.com store.
https://www.leafincreek.com/blogs/news/ ... rvoir-pack
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply

Return to “Dive Watches”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest