Seiko Sumo VS Seiko BFK, anyone own both?

Dedicated to Dive watches
solchitlins

Seiko Sumo VS Seiko BFK, anyone own both?

Post by solchitlins » April 11th 2013, 10:17am

Been day dreaming about getting the Seiko Sumo since it first came out but man times are tight money wise. The BFK can be found for under $200, it's hard to justify spending $500+ on the Sumo when the BFK has so much going for it. I don't mind the fact that it's a quartz if that's the biggest factor.

Anyone own both?
I read that the BFK is a large watch, but some specs show it at only 40mm across, does the dial seem small on this one? Anyone know how tall they are?
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Re: Seiko Sumo VS Seiko BFK, anyone own both?

Post by foghorn » April 11th 2013, 11:33am

I owned a Sumo and a BFK. I sold the Sumo because it just didn't feel right to me having a 20 mm bracelet on a 45mm watch. Nice watch though and that was the way it felt to me so I let it go.
The BFK is a chunky watch but definitely not huge-or even big. Looks and feels closer to 40mm than 45. I think the measurements provided by sellers include the crown. I have no problem with kinetics, but many feel that they are a PITA. I wear mine one full day a week and by the end of that day the PR goes to full ,and it's good till the next week with power to spare.
foghorn

Post by foghorn » April 11th 2013, 12:30pm

solchitlins wrote:Does the BFK dial seem small compared to the rest of the watch? It appears a little bit smaller than the sumo's. It seems like a great bang for the buck watch.

It's a smaller watch than the Sumo. This might explain why the dial is smaller that the Sumos dial. I have no complaints. I imagine if you look hard enough you can talk yourself out of buying any watch.
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » April 11th 2013, 12:51pm

I have both. The BFK dial is smallish, but not really small. It feels like a 43 mm case to me, with a smaller bezel on top. The bezel is the star here, very good grip and action.

Great lume but the lumed areas of the hour and minute hands are too similar in size. It can be difficult reading the time quickly in the dark.

Overall finish is neat and tidy for a dive watch, but it's not refined enough to ever be considered dressy. But they are tough analog watches - there is a great torture test on WUS.

The Sumo is so good I bought two. Unfortunately it's a $1500 head on a $250 bracelet.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
eddiea

Post by eddiea » April 11th 2013, 12:54pm

solchitlins wrote:
The BFK can be found for under $200, it's hard to justify spending $500+ on the Sumo when the BFK has so much going for it.

Totally different watches....Is a reason why, the BFK can be found for under $200.... on the other hand, been hard to justify spending $500 for a Sumo is a personal issue, but in no way means the Sumo is not worth every single penny, actually I think is cheap.... considering what it offers.
solchitlins

Post by solchitlins » April 11th 2013, 1:02pm

Thanks Guys, I think I'm going to buy a BFK, just as soon as I sell my other watch.

I read that the BFK is really comfy too, I like watches I can wear for long periods with out getting uncomfortable.

Edit: Just had an idea, do you think if I went to the mall I might be able to find one to try on at Kohl's or Jared jewelry etc.. or no way?
Last edited by solchitlins on April 12th 2013, 4:33am, edited 1 time in total.
foghorn

Post by foghorn » April 11th 2013, 2:27pm

solchitlins wrote:

Edit: Just had an idea, do you think if I went to the mall I might be able to find one to try on at Kohl's or Jared jewelry etc.. or no way?

You're way too unsure of this purchase. I think you should forget it and only buy in person. Probably won't find a BFK but there must be something that'll catch your eye. If not then just pick up a nice pair of Red Wings and go out to dinner.
foghorn

Post by foghorn » April 11th 2013, 2:53pm

solchitlins wrote:Haha, I'll only buy on-line, I meant could I go someplace to try it on for size, like Macy's or some other over priced retail place

When Macys has their "Friends and Family" events Seiko, Citizen, and Bulova are all sold at better than online prices. Worth the wait and peace of mind.
solchitlins

Post by solchitlins » April 11th 2013, 4:52pm

jason_recliner wrote:I have both. The BFK dial is smallish, but not really small. It feels like a 43 mm case to me, with a smaller bezel on top. The bezel is the star here, very good grip and action.

Great lume but the lumed areas of the hour and minute hands are too similar in size. It can be difficult reading the time quickly in the dark.

Overall finish is neat and tidy for a dive watch, but it's not refined enough to ever be considered dressy. But they are tough analog watches - there is a great torture test on WUS.

The Sumo is so good I bought two. Unfortunately it's a $1500 head on a $250 bracelet.

the BFK wears larger than a SKX or a Orient Mako right?
Because I find those on the small side for a dive watch, 44mm is usually my favorite for a diver.
jonnybardo
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Post by jonnybardo » April 11th 2013, 6:32pm

I own a Sumo and briefly owned a BFK, which I purchased from Amazon for $190 but returned because it was too similar in overall feel to my SSC015, so wouldn't get wrist time. Anyhow, you can't go wrong with either one, although the Sumo is definitely a notch or two above. If you order the BFK from Amazon and don't like it, you can always return it and only be out a few bucks shipping. Its currently $207.46 on Amazon.
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT - RETIRED

Post by Horse Feathers » April 11th 2013, 6:40pm

jonnybardo wrote:I own a Sumo and briefly owned a BFK, which I purchased from Amazon for $190 but returned because it was too similar in overall feel to my SSC015, so wouldn't get wrist time.

You found the feel of the BFK similar to the solar? I have several BFK's and just added a Solar this week. The BFK is heavier but very well balanced on the wrist and I actually am finding it more comfortable. Both are excellent but definitely prefer the BFK

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
jonnybardo
Senior Member & WIS

Post by jonnybardo » April 11th 2013, 6:47pm

Horse Feathers wrote:
jonnybardo wrote:I own a Sumo and briefly owned a BFK, which I purchased from Amazon for $190 but returned because it was too similar in overall feel to my SSC015, so wouldn't get wrist time.

You found the feel of the BFK similar to the solar? I have several BFK's and just added a Solar this week. The BFK is heavier but very well balanced on the wrist and I actually am finding it more comfortable. Both are excellent but definitely prefer the BFK

Not very similar but similar enough that I couldn't see wearing both, and as I have less chronographs I kept the solar.
ocean (Online)
Master of Time

Post by ocean » April 12th 2013, 2:38am

codguy wrote:Way too much languish over a $200 watch.

Exactly my thought. You're saying you can't afford a 200 dollar watch yet you're looking at a 500 dollar watch what the fuck? Buy an invicta and geeks is stage left.
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
solchitlins

Post by solchitlins » April 12th 2013, 4:29am

ocean wrote:

Exactly my thought. You're saying you can't afford a 200 dollar watch yet you're looking at a 500 dollar watch what the fuck? Buy an invicta and geeks is stage left.

Guess we're not here to talk about wristwatches?

There is no languish you Dipshit. Go jam that invicta up your corn hole, you might get more use out of it that way.

www.gaybeef.com is stage left, go treat yo self
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT - RETIRED

Post by Horse Feathers » April 12th 2013, 7:32am

solchitlins wrote:
ocean wrote:

There is no languish you Dipshit. Go jam that invicta up your corn hole, you might get more use out of it that way.

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » April 12th 2013, 7:53am

solchitlins wrote:
ocean wrote:

Gettin' a little uppity for a fellow looking for advice, aren't ya, sport? You've gotten several threads worth of mileage and entertainment out of your ill-considered (but you did it anyway - despite all advice to the contrary) Russkie purchase and now you want us to hold your hand and advise you while you re-consider and try out every other watch in the store. Don't get me wrong - we love to give advice and this is indeed a watch forum, but it is getting a bit tedious. Do your homework. All the information in the world is at your fingertips.
"...and I shan't quit ripping them till I do get buckled!"

J the R 1888
solchitlins

Post by solchitlins » April 12th 2013, 8:50am

lol

I thought we were all here to talk about topics such as "sumo vs bfk"?
I found this very topic on 3 other watch forums but wanted to get Watchlords perspective.

Are we here to discus such matters or is this just a gathering place for people that are disgruntled over getting kicked off some watch forum I've never even heard of before coming here?

That Russian watch you speak so poorly of is a really super nice watch and I'm saddened that it's uncomfortable on my wrist, if it fit me better I would gladly put it in the keeper pile, but it doesn't so off it goes to a new home.

Unlike most of you, I have never owned an Invicta and don't care to.

I'm not looking for anyone to hold my hand Chief. I love researching topics to death, my fiance will tell you it takes me hours to decide on every semi major purchase.

I enjoy sharing and writing on the forum, but some of you are clearly here for the sole purpose of unleashing butt hurt attacks upon others, which is fine but don't blame me for snipping back once in awhile.

:-)
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT - RETIRED

Post by Horse Feathers » April 12th 2013, 8:56am

solchitlins wrote:Are we here to discus such matters or is this just a gathering place for people that are disgruntled over getting kicked off some watch forum I've never even heard of before coming here?

I think it's fair to say that I have tried to offer you constructive comments in your various threads (your pet, the orange watch and this one)

After this comment I will not take your threads seriously

- JR of Reclinervision ™

Return to “Dive Watches”