January 2020 C. Ward Sale

Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: January 2020 C. Ward Sale

Post by Thunder1 » January 6th 2020, 10:39am

Ok, I bit on the green dial hand cranker..seems like a real good deal for $380.00 postage paid...

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in...."
MichaelCorleone.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » January 8th 2020, 8:18am

Rusty wrote:
January 6th 2020, 7:16am
The sale goes live for the general public on Tuesday but available now using this link.

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/events/jansale2020
There are some new additions to the 30% off page this morning..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » January 8th 2020, 9:15am

Well, hell, I bit again!! :dssd: ..for $609.00, this'll keep me from shelling out a little more for a similar Oris 65 Bronze Bezel at a later point..this'll be my first exposure to a CW bracelet, so I'm looking forward to that, as well.. :roll:
https://www.christopherward.com/events/ ... new-1dddb7
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » January 8th 2020, 5:02pm

A 38mm red bezel C60 Trident is now available for 50% off..pretty tasty...
https://www.christopherward.co.uk/event ... 600-37623a
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » January 9th 2020, 6:32am

Budman2k wrote:
January 9th 2020, 6:14am
Nice score Thunder! or should I say scores! I was tempted but I held off. Ill be curious to hear about the bracelet. I have two CW's both on straps.

Budman
I've heard good things about their bracelets, but I've no experience w/ any..I'll find out in a week or so, though...
biglove (Online)
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » January 9th 2020, 9:24pm

Budman2k wrote:
January 9th 2020, 6:14am
Nice score Thunder! or should I say scores! I was tempted but I held off. Ill be curious to hear about the bracelet. I have two CW's both on straps.

Budman
The CW Trident bracelet is remarkable. Hands down one of the most comfortable have ever worn.
"Nobody makes a turd like that and lives!"-Mike Rowe, Dirty Jobs
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » January 10th 2020, 8:57am

Well, picked up my C65 Trident Diver(Khaki) just a short while ago..considering that I ordered it on the 6th, the CW customer service folks did a great job in getting it to me this fast..I wore my Oris Divers 65 BB(green dial) today so I could do some quick comparisons & photos of the two..yes, it looks like CW was aiming at the Oris 65 when they introduced this watch to the market..it was 50% off, so I paid about $396.00 for it on the camel tan strap(which is nice looking, comfortable, & matches the tan colored indices)..at 41mm w/ a narrow bezel, the dial does seems larger than the Oris's dial..and the edges of the SS case are nicely chamfered..IMO, the CW name at the 9 o'clock position does not detract from the dial's appearance..the Sellita manual movement is smooth & easy to wind and does not take long to fully wind..so, coming from a bargains hunter's perspective(I pd. $1,035 for the Oris, pre-owned, & another $275.00 for the bracelet from a dealer) which do I prefer?..for me, the Oris(w/o bracelet) is about $640.00 more expensive..the SS case isn't as nicely shaped and lacks the impressive 'trident' backplate..on the plus side, the gold plated indice surrounds & gold plated hour/minute hand edges, coupled w/ the bronze bezel edge, really enhances the look of the dial under it's domed crystal..the dial is also a darker shade of green that looks richer..and at 39mm, it wears comfortably on my average sized wrist(as does the CW)..so which do I prefer?..honestly, it's another wash..both are nice looking and have excellent pedigrees..while I slightly prefer the look of the Oris, the CW looks very nearly as nice..really, from a bargain hunter's perspective, I think it boils down to whether one would want to spend another $640.00 for the Oris..pics will follow later this evening..and I have the blue dial C65 Diver coming in a few days!!.

**edited to provide the below photos for comparison sake..
CW C65 Trident Diver Khaki & Oris 65 BB Green(1).JPG
CW C65 Trident Diver Khaki & Oris 65 BB Green(2).JPG
CW C65 Trident Diver Khaki & Oris 65 BB Green(3).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » January 10th 2020, 6:15pm

Rusty wrote:
January 10th 2020, 5:43pm
The bargain hunters have really done a job on the offerings that were originally available just a few days ago. Good pickup, Chuck.
Thanx so much for posting the thread, Rusty!!..I'm guessing you sat this one out?...you know, at the price points they were being offered, even if one would prefer the Oris 65 Diver, these are hard to pass up..same auto movement, better styled case & back plate, similar dial & bezel layout..other than aesthetics, they're(the CWs) only comparable short coming would be the lack of a screw down crown..and while Oris makes a nice bracelet, so does CW(according to Travis)..and the blue of the blue dialed divers is both nice & unique(as an example, see my pic of a CW Trident SH21 LE below)..
CW C65 Trident SH21 L.E.(132of150)(1).JPG
I owe you one, sir!!..
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » January 11th 2020, 7:25am

Budman2k wrote:
January 11th 2020, 7:01am
Thanks for the comparison. And nice pick up! I had a hard time not grabbing something at those prices but I'm eyeing up a couple other watches and I actually showed restraint
'Discretion is often the better part of valor'...good luck hunting!!
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » January 15th 2020, 4:21pm

So, my 2nd watch from this Jan. Sale made it's way to this side of the pond(and to my door step) yesterday..it is the C65 Trident Automatic Diver, blue dial & bezel, on bracelet..Initial impressions, from a bargain hunter's view, are quite favorable..this pup was on offer for a little over $600 Nearly New(at 30% off)..here's pics of it..
CW C65 Trident Diver Auto(1).JPG
CW C65 Trident Diver Auto(2).JPG
It's been suggested that I use the C65 auto if I'm attempting to compare a C65 to an Oris 65 Diver..fair enough, I think...here's a pic of the 2 of them, side by side..
CW C65-Oris 65(1).JPG
CW C65-Oris 65(2).JPG
I think CW is on to something special w/ this shade of blue for dials..very distinctive, and I like it..I think Oris has matched this creative offering, though, w/ their 'Honey' colored 65 Diver..unfortunately, Oris only made 250 of these for The Rake..CW has chosen a 'tan' colored lume for the indices(to my eyes), and that is also a pleasing touch..I think the 'cream' colored lume on the Oris 65 provides a similar effect...the CW bracelet deserves special mention, as well..I had it sized at lunch today (2 links removed) and the micro-adjusting clasp was a joy to use..the bracelet fits my wrist perfectly!!(hear that GS?)..it also looks good and it has a quick release!!..Ok, so I've got about $1,305 invested in my previously loved Oris w/ bracelet & a little over $600 for the NN CW..is the Oris worth the additional $705 or so(more then twice as much)?..well, the Oris SS case is 40mm and sports a 20mm lug to lug, tapering bracelet, that also has a micro-adjustment feature...the CW SS case is 41mm wide and sports a 22mm lug to lug bracelet..truthfully, the CW is noticeably heavier to wear, but I would be remiss in not pointing out that CW has nicely sculpted the SS case(see pic #2) & that Oris has not..visually, because of the narrow bezel, the CW appears that much larger, as well..Oris has placed the day of the month indicator at the 6 o'clock position, which helps minimize it's visual effect..the Oris also features a nicely domed crystal, which enhances the look of the dial..and some people may feel that the Oris 'lock down' crown is another plus point, as well as the bronze tinged bezel insert..movement-wise, they both utilize the Sellita SW200, which has proven to be a reliable work horse..the Oris can be had in about 4 dial colors(5 if one can still get their hands on The Rake version), and the CW in just 2(that I know of)..gosh, I'm trying like heck not to make a final judgement, but if one's finances aren't necessarily the limiting criteria, I say go for the Oris, if you prefer it's looks..if finances are upper most for someone(as they are for most of us), then I think the very nicely crafted, very nicely appearing, CW C65 Trident Diver is the way to go..it is one heck of a consolation prize, to be sure!!..
Rusty
Master of Time

Post by Rusty » January 16th 2020, 5:12pm

One of the points about the 2020 January sale is that it seemed to go off without a hitch. The Ward website didn’t crash, deliveries were completed quickly, and customer service seemed to be helpful when needed. Perhaps the company has turned a corner? As Chuck notes, and I have seen similar comments elsewhere, people seem to genuinely like the current Ward offerings.
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » January 16th 2020, 5:45pm

Rusty wrote:
January 16th 2020, 5:12pm
One of the points about the 2020 January sale is that it seemed to go off without a hitch. The Ward website didn’t crash, deliveries were completed quickly, and customer service seemed to be helpful when needed. Perhaps the company has turned a corner? As Chuck notes, and I have seen similar comments elsewhere, people seem to genuinely like the current Ward offerings.
A month or so ago, one of the CW forum moderators stated that he and several other 'mods' met w/ CW management re: the customer service issues customers were having..he said they were told management was busy addressing the issues...apparently, that's been the case..I rec'd my shipments very timely and have seen no recent mention of other customer complaints on the CW forum..

Return to “Christopher Ward”