Bulova Accutron Automatic – Long Term Review

koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » July 22nd 2019, 3:43pm

The Bulova Accutron is a high-frequency quartz with a smooth sweeping second hand. But for a short time, they also made self-winding mechanical watches with the Accutron name.

This Accutron is one of the Swiss-powered versions of the Bulova Accutron. It has the ETA 2824 movement instead of the high-frequency quartz and is, therefore, more comparable with a “normal” mechanical watch. I understand it was one of the watches made after Citizen took over Bulova in the 2000s.

https://wristwatchreview.co.uk/bulova-a ... erm-review

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Bulova Accutron Automatic – Long Term Review

Post by TemerityB » July 22nd 2019, 5:18pm

I really like the idea of "long-term" watch reviews. That's a great idea.

That being noted...

...you call that a review? Like Gertrude Stein said about Oakland, there's no there there.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Post by JAS1125 » July 23rd 2019, 4:44am

TemerityB wrote:I really like the idea of "long-term" watch reviews. That's a great idea.

That being noted...

...you call that a review? Like Gertrude Stein said about Oakland, there's no there there.

Yup!
I still own this one, bought when there was a steep discount some years back. I was looking forward to what the "long-term" review yielded.

Alas...

"Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance"

David Mamet
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » July 23rd 2019, 6:12am

"All hat and no cattle" review.

I owned that watch and its big brother crono with the valjoux. The golden age of watch collecting for me. Reviewed both on BDWF along with many others but alas the site archives are gone and I didnt keep copies of what I wrote.

I loved Accutrons but if they say Bulova on the face with no tuning fork insignia, they are made by Citizen and are not up to the models of old IMHO. I believe that particular model reviewed was probably made before the Citizen acquisition and was sold at ridiculously low prices as a blow out. I could be wrong.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » July 23rd 2019, 8:12am

MAX wrote:"All hat and no cattle" review.

I owned that watch and its big brother crono with the valjoux. The golden age of watch collecting for me. Reviewed both on BDWF along with many others but alas the site archives are gone and I didnt keep copies of what I wrote.

I loved Accutrons but if they say Bulova on the face with no tuning fork insignia, they are made by Citizen and are not up to the models of old IMHO. I believe that particular model reviewed was probably made before the Citizen acquisition and was sold at ridiculously low prices as a blow out. I could be wrong.

I'm with you 100 percent on this one. Right till the start of the decade, Bulova still had a lot to offer - those Gemini chronos were really nice watches, and a lot of what used to be Bulova Accutron - all Swiss made, many quite worthy - were really nice watches. Yet, the Precisionist advent actually seemed to be met with a collective yawn. Then some confusion, then the sale, then no more Bulova Accutron, replaced by Accu-Swiss, making the Accutron line remakes of Spaceviews and such, then they got rid of everything Swiss made entirely. Yeah, the Moon Watch is sorta kinda cool; the Curv chonos kind of interesting. But after checking out new Bulova products at my local Macy's, their stuff now strikes me as closer to Stuhrling and Stauer than sturdy. They've also turned Wittnauer into a Croton-like, cheesy fashion brand, and I can't figure out WTF Bulova is about these days. I reckon neither does Bulova.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » July 23rd 2019, 8:36am

Review by Rusty.

viewtopic.php?f=154&t=6602&p=53038&hilit=vx200#p53038

0 Replies to “Bulova Accutron Automatic – Long Term Review”

Koimaster says:

July 23, 2019 at 3:31 pm
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

The watch in your review is the Accutron VX-200 which was sold back in around 2009 for $200. I had posted this review on a forum without having read it through. Several forum members were disappointed as they had been expecting a longer and more comprehensive long term review. This watch also was offered with the Valjoux 7750 for about $275. viewtopic.php?p=462298#p462298 and here is a review by a forum member of the watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9MGnHP ... hl=en%5FUS

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » July 23rd 2019, 8:44am

JAS1125 wrote:
TemerityB wrote:I really like the idea of "long-term" watch reviews. That's a great idea.

That being noted...

Yup!
I still own this one, bought when there was a steep discount some years back. I was looking forward to what the "long-term" review yielded.

Alas...

Indeed. It's like the guy wrote it on the back of an envelope while taking a fairly long dump.
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » July 23rd 2019, 1:47pm

There are a few "what the fuck" parts of this revoo, which have me a wee bit pissed. Let's see...
The Bulova Accutron is a high-frequency quartz with a smooth sweeping second hand.

Ummm, no, the original Accutrons weren't quartz, they were tuning fork movements. While the oscillator in any quartz is tuning fork-shaped, the Accutron is not the same as a quartz-controlled stepper motor movement.

But for a short time, they also made self-winding mechanical watches with the Accutron name.

They did so since, like, the 1990s. If not earlier than that.

This Accutron is one of the Swiss-powered versions of the Bulova Accutron.

It is, in fact, the sort of Accutron that's not really an Accutron. More, like, milking the reputation of the Accutron name. To call it a version of the Accutron is implying that they're related - it's like claiming them to be two siblings from a different father each, while they're also from different mothers...

It has the ETA 2824 movement instead of the high-frequency quartz and is, therefore, more comparable with a “normal” mechanical watch.

Not only is it comparable with a normal mechanical watch, it fucking is a normal mechanical watch.

self-winding ETA 2824 movement (running at 28800 bph or 8 ticks per second) with about 28 hours power reserve

If that's not a typo, it's in a dire need of a watchmaker's intervention.

As for the length of this revoo - a "long-term" review this short is nearly as bad as a Donkey wankfest.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation

Return to “Bulova & Accutron”