Bulova: lots of time in Queens

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Bulova: lots of time in Queens

Post by koimaster » June 13th 2019, 11:59am

568e59d4476f0.image.jpg

Joseph Bulova (1851-1936), an immigrant from Bohemia, started a watch business in New York City in 1875. As it grew into one of the world’s leading watch companies, Bulova built a large factory at 62-10 Woodside Ave. in Woodside. After World War II, his son Arde Bulova (1889-1958) opened the Joseph Bulova School of Watchmaking for disabled veterans at 40-24 62 St. (the school closed in 1993).

Bulova tried to build its corporate headquarters at the corner of Queens and Yellowstone boulevards in 1949. It was met with vehement hostility in Forest Hills and in 1950 was shut down by the the city. Bulova moved on to build on a veterans’ temporary housing quonset huts site at 77th Street and Astoria Boulevard in Jackson Heights (a spot some say is in East Elmhurst).

Area residents fought Bulova again but this time the company won. It hired architect Alexander D. Crossett & Associates for a building whose design was inspired by and similar to that of the Federal Reserve Bank in Washington, DC, built in 1935. The building contains 400,000 square feet of sprawling space. It was limited in height because of restrictions in effect due to neighboring LaGuardia Airport.

The stunning art deco building of Indiana limestone won the Queens Chamber of Commerce’s Outstanding Building Award for 1953.

In the 1980s Bulova sold the complex, which was renovated to give space to many tenants.

Today Bulova is a subsidiary of Citizen Watch Co. The Queens Chamber of Commerce, formerly of Long Island City, which bestowed the architecture award, has its executive offices at the Bulova center.

https://www.qchron.com/qboro/i_have_oft ... 0790e.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
biglove
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Bulova: lots of time in Queens

Post by biglove » June 13th 2019, 3:39pm

I winced when I read the part about the watchmaking school closing.

In a 30 mile radius from my home there is ONE Watchmaker. Go out to 70 miles and it is maybe two. Two watchmakers serving a population of several hundred thousand. Sad.
"Never insult anyone by accident."-Robert A. Heinlein

https://imgur.com/h3UXafB
foghorn (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by foghorn » June 13th 2019, 3:43pm

biglove wrote:I winced when I read the part about the watchmaking school closing.

In a 30 mile radius from my home there is ONE Watchmaker. Go out to 70 miles and it is maybe two. Two watchmakers serving a population of several hundred thousand. Sad.

But how many of those several hundred thousand have, or would, even think of using a watchmaker? 99% of people think the guy at the mall kiosk doing battery changes and bracelet sizings is a watchmaker.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » June 13th 2019, 3:48pm

foghorn wrote:
biglove wrote:I winced when I read the part about the watchmaking school closing.

But how many of those several hundred thousand have, or would, even think of using a watchmaker? 99% of people think the guy at the mall kiosk doing battery changes and bracelet sizings is a watchmaker.

that Iz onlee Four wartchs with Know sole GODAM it.
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Post by TemerityB » June 13th 2019, 4:37pm

tiktok wrote:Queens Rulz!

You bet.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster

Return to “Bulova & Accutron”