Bulova Archive Series Oceanographer “Devil Diver”

Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Bulova Archive Series Oceanographer “Devil Diver”

Post by Racer-X » September 23rd 2018, 8:46pm

"Bulova has been gradually entering the “new vintage” trend of horology for the last few years. The company’s newest release, the Oceanographer Devil Diver— which comes in the forms of both a limited-edition, more historically accurate 40-mm orange piece, and of a non-limited, more modernly designed 44-mm model — is its most recent addition to its growing Archive Series. You might recall this series as also including the Chronograph C “Stars & Stripes” watch and the Moon Watch, both big hits among “new vintage” circles these past few years.

The “Devil Diver” watches, so nicknamed according to Bulova for the 666-ft depth rating written on their dials, find direct influence from the 1972 Bulova Oceanographer (vintage ad, via Watchsteez, pictured below). This watch was a part of a larger series of Bulova watches, which included the 1960s and ‘70s Oceanographer Snorkel series of deep-sea and skin-diver watches, and also some others outside of the diving realm, notably some water-resistant pieces more akin to a Rolex Datejust than the purpose-driven Snorkel."

https://www.watchtime.com/featured/vintage-eye-for-the-modern-guy-bulova-archive-series-oceanographer-devil-diver/
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Bulova Archive Series Oceanographer “Devil Diver”

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » September 23rd 2018, 9:10pm

40mm - OK. 44mm - not fucking OK. If they gave the 40mm production model the proper dial, not the Doxa-esque orange, it’d be perfect.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » September 23rd 2018, 10:01pm

These are beautiful. I don't normally care for watches over 42mm, but the non-LE model is just fucking fine. Pissing and moaning about the extra size is like dating an extraordinarily hot woman who's just a bit Rubenesque. She'll screw like a dream, be intelligent, loving, and make you huevos rancheros the morning after a particularly brutal anal session. Trim a few inches off her waist, she'll be a ball-breaking harridan who'll cheat on you and end up turning you into the Feds. The bigger the waistband, the deeper the quicksand.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » September 24th 2018, 5:13am

conjurer wrote:Pissing and moaning about the extra size is like dating an extraordinarily hot woman who's just a bit Rubenesque. She'll screw like a dream, be intelligent, loving, and make you huevos rancheros the morning after a particularly brutal anal session. Trim a few inches off her waist, she'll be a ball-breaking harridan who'll cheat on you and end up turning you into the Feds. The bigger the waistband, the deeper the quicksand.

The term is "Rubensian", I believe. Bulovas and diameters aside - Great Scott, Conj, you're some bloody prophet, or what? So it happens, that there is this lass, who's exactly that, and whom after payday I intend to ask out for dinner. Save perhaps the huevos rancheros and the cornholing, to Jove I pray for the rest of the virtues you've mentioned to be there.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by foghorn » September 24th 2018, 5:21am

I'd like to see the non LE at a "more reasonable for a reissue" size of 40 mm also. The extra real estate onthe cushion case will make the 44mm seem even bigger.
I find it troubling that they still aren't saying which Miyota movement is in the non LE. I have heard whispers that it might be a member of the non hacking 821 series,in which case it is grossly overpriced at 795. 9015 would be perfect.
I'm afraid that when they came up with the idea to reissue this iconic diver the Bulova design team took the ball adn ran with it. But in the wrong direction.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by foghorn » October 8th 2018, 2:28pm

I emailed an Amazon seller asking about the movement-no answer.
I emailed Bulova asking about the movement-no answer.
Big fucking secret what the movement in the 44 mm version is. Mums the word. At 795.00 is has to be the Miyota 9015,right? Bulova wouldn't have the umitigated gall to sell a watch with a Miyota 8215 for nearly 8 beans in it would they? Huh-would they?
If these go the way of Bulovas offerings of late they should be at TJ's in about a year and should be selling at around 2 hunnert, I reckon. Aside from the moon watch most everything from them has been kind of meh.
And I like Bullyver too......................
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » October 8th 2018, 5:24pm

I remember four years ago or so actually writing and calling Bulova for info. What little info I got from them turned out to be false. I would have learned more by putting a message in a bottle and dropping it in the East River. It's one of several reasons why I'll never be a big Bulova booster; and I think too much of their current line is just department store fodder.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
Rusty
Master of Time

Post by Rusty » October 9th 2018, 12:47pm

TemerityB wrote:I remember four years ago or so actually writing and calling Bulova for info. What little info I got from them turned out to be false. I would have learned more by putting a message in a bottle and dropping it in the East River. It's one of several reasons why I'll never be a big Bulova booster; and I think too much of their current line is just department store fodder.

Somewhere around the time the company was being sold and before they returned to the Empire State building, the New York office was essentially rudderless. I contacted them about obtaining an out-of-production watch and the women I spoke with was clueless. I think once it was determined that Citizen was taking over, everything in NYC stopped functioning.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » May 9th 2019, 9:58am

JAS1125 wrote:https://www.ablogtowatch.com/bulova-archive-series-oceanographer-devil-diver-wrist-watch/

Not specified..I assume the 9015

Sellita SW 220 automatic movement, hosting a 38-hour power reserve for the special edition version which has the orange dial.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Rusty
Master of Time

Post by Rusty » May 9th 2019, 1:11pm

I had a chance to handle the regular Devil Diver and it felt like a pos. The bracelet felt cheap and I don't think the movement hacks. Plus, they are asking a pretty penny for the watch. When I heard that Bulova was going to sell this, I put it on my list but I am very disappointed by the effort...or lack thereof.

Return to “Bulova & Accutron”