Bulova Oceanographer Snorkel “V”

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Bulova Oceanographer Snorkel “V”

Post by koimaster » July 18th 2018, 9:52am

I was dropping off a handful of watches for service with Sam, the watchmaker at Afram Jewelers in Washington, DC and my go-to guy for repairs. We were talking watches, of course when I told him about a couple of vintage pieces I was reviewing. “If you write about vintage watches,” he said, “then you might be interested in this one.” He produced a wicked orange Bulova Snorkel 666 from his workbench. “Do you want to review it?”

Hell yes, I wanted to review it. The Bulova Oceanographer Snorkel has long been one of my favorite watches. I remember seeing this very model for sale by Analog/Shift in 2014. I balked at its $515 price tag, didn't buy it, and have regretted it ever since. Prices have only gone up, and my affinity for this funky little watch hasn't wavered.

Bulova started selling their Oceanographer diving watches in the early 1960's, but this particular design came along in late 1968 and had wrapped up by the mid-1970's. "Oceanographer Snorkel" was the official moniker although you will notice this model doesn’t have Oceanographer written anywhere. The "Devil Diver" nickname attached to Bulova divers as a result of their fate-tempting choice to announce the water resistance as 666ft instead of the more common 200m. They did the same on their Caravelle sub-brand, like this 1970 Sea Hunter we featured last year. Much to my surprise, it still weirds some people out, and I have even heard of folks finding Bulova divers that have had the offending digits deliberately scratched off the case and dial. You would think that if the number bothered someone that much they could have avoided it by buying literally any other diving watch, but whatever. I suspect they chose feet over meters feet over meters simply to print a bigger number (they did the same on their 100m/333ft divers too) but regardless, it is now inextricably linked to these watches’ identities.

http://www.thetimebum.com/2018/07/bulov ... kel-v.html

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."

Return to “Bulova & Accutron”