1960s Asymmetric Bulova Accutrons Part 1: Solid Gold

ChronoMATT
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

1960s Asymmetric Bulova Accutrons Part 1: Solid Gold

Post by ChronoMATT » June 20th 2011, 12:10pm

I'm no wristwatch historian, just an admirer of cool timepieces and appreciate mid century design. Company and model backgrounds are from what I have read and learned through the years, mostly from the internet and fellow collectors. If anyone has corrections or additions, please post! All watch photos are from my personal collection.

Right-Click photos for an expando-view.

Welcome to the space age...literally.
On the heels of Hamilton's introduction of the first mass produced battery operated watch movement in 1957, the fragile caliber 500, it was a matter of time before a more robust movement would enter the market. And that would be the November 1960 Bulova Accutron caliber 214. Most reading this post understand the inner workings of this humming movement, so I will dispense with the details other than to note its electronic (not electrified as with Hamilton), non-moving parts tuning fork design was a big advancement over Hamilton's fussy juiced balance wheel for trouble-free wear. It was as true an innovation as anything in horological history.

The 214 was produced until 1977 where it remained the most accurate production timepiece of the time. Additional tuning fork movements, the caliber 218 for one, were designed with new complications including day and date, and saw the unusual hand adjustment crown move from the case back to a more traditional case side position.

The below examples are all solid 14K gold. The earliest models owe much of their unique design cues to the atomic space-age design themes of the era (think kidney-shaped coffee tables, car fins, printed atomic patterns on cloth and Formica) and the wild offerings established by the Hamilton Electric line. It was in vogue for most products to offer a to the future and beyond appearance.

The Accurton found its accurate ways into many facets of industry and commerce including most famously, the NASA program.

Included in this grouping are both 214 and 218 movement models. The back row 218s are among my favorite of that movement line. You will note the case/bezel finishes differ between the two examples: one has a basket weave pattern, the other, vertical brushing. The front row offers Accutron's arguably most common asymmetric case design complete with an engine turned bezel and to it's right, a white gold model affectionately referred to as the "football" for it's skewed case tips.

Along with the Alpha model, the above "TV" model is one of the more sought after vintage Accutrons. It received it's collector nickname from the square dial and surrounding bezel. This model's case back is engraved with "MO", indicating it was one of the first Accutrons to come off the production line.

Below are close-ups of the models displayed above. The hearty tuning fork movements produce a hum that can be heard when you place one to your ear. It's the tuning fork creating the perfect frequency for the ultimate in keeping ACCU-rate time.

Here is a back side. Even the battery hatch is solid gold. Placing the adjustment crown on the back made for a clean case design that added to the watch's uniqueness by visually screaming: I do NOT need winding! I doubt it was the first time a crown had been placed on a case back (JL cricket models?), but surely it was one of the very few, if the only, "watch for the masses" to do so. It must been a mind-blower for watch buyers of the time.

From http://www.accutron214.com:
-- In 1960 NASA asks Bulova to incorporate Accutron technology into its equipment for the space program. The CEO of Bulova at the time was Omar Bradley, 5 Star General, US Army, Retired. During those early years Accutron timing mechanisms were used in 46 US space program missions. An Accutron watch movement sits on the moon's Sea of Tranquility today, in an instrument placed there in 1969 by Apollo 11 astronauts, the first men on the moon.

-- In 1962 the Accutron 214 becomes the first wristwatch certified for use by railroad personnel. Previously, engineers used pocket watches which had to be frequently calibrated in order to "run the railroads on time".

-- Accutron wristwatches were given to world leaders as a presidential gift and in 1964 President Lynden Johnson declares Accutron to be the official "Gift of State".

-- By 1967 Accutron clocks were the only clocks aboard Air Force One and many instrument panel Accutrons were used in military ships and aircraft.

Web references:
http://www.accutron.org
http://www.oldfathertime.com
http://www.accutron214.com
Last edited by Anonymous on July 2nd 2011, 2:29pm, edited 12 times in total.
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Re: 1960s Asymmetric Bulova Accutrons Part 1: Solid Gold

Post by Kahuna74 » June 20th 2011, 6:54pm

Wow and thanks I love learning about older watches. I have a question though, I have a Boluva Aacutron it has to be a 218, it has the N1 on the case. I have had it for ever it seams( I got it new in the 70s) any way, it has no date, just tells the time. Is this a more rare model for the 218 ?
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » June 20th 2011, 7:25pm

Stunning! I love these posts and the watches along with the history. I am really pleased that these vintage watches are kept in running order and appreciated for what they are, and what they represent in the timeline of horology.

thanks

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » June 20th 2011, 7:29pm

Just so informative, and such amazing pieces. Just great.

Your collection must be the envy of Ray "Boomer" Christy, that vintage watch collector who just happens to have an eye for vintage Hammys and Accutrons like you do. He owns and operates the boomertime.com website as well, which is always a lot of fun to look at. I think koi is familiar with boomer as well.
Last edited by Anonymous on June 20th 2011, 7:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
ChronoMATT
Master of Time

Post by ChronoMATT » June 20th 2011, 7:30pm

N1 signifies it was built in 1971. Below is an NO (1970) "Bow Tie" Lug model I have with the same movement you describe. There are variations of the 218 with ours being the basic 218. If it has a date, it's a 218D. Others versions can be identified at this resource:
http://www.amw.at/Accutron/accid.htm

Kahuna74 wrote:Wow and thanks I love learning about older watches. I have a question though, I have a Boluva Aacutron it has to be a 218, it has the N1 on the case. I have had it for ever it seams( I got it new in the 70s) any way, it has no date, just tells the time. Is this a more rare model for the 218 ?
Last edited by Anonymous on June 20th 2011, 7:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChronoMATT
Master of Time

Post by ChronoMATT » June 20th 2011, 7:37pm

Thanks, Temerity. I want to post these watches for posterity while I have them. My collection is a little unusual, but I prefer the funkier stuff that show specific innovation and styling of their time. I worked hard over many years buying, selling and trading up so that what I own is either NOS, mint or near mint and all sport original or correct hallmarked bracelets and straps/buckles.

TemerityB wrote:Just so informative, and such amazing pieces. Just great.

Your collection must be the envy of Ray "Boomer" Christy, that vintage watch collector who just happens to have an eye for vintage Hammys and Accutrons like you do. He owns and operates the boomertime.com website as well, which is always a lot of fun to look at. I think koi is familiar with boomer as well.
ChronoMATT
Master of Time

Post by ChronoMATT » June 21st 2011, 10:36am

With a classic Accutron on the wrist, you are a walking horological museum and have fascinating history to share with people who are interested in what you are wristing.

Please, please post a pic of your new 218D if you snag it!
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Kahuna74 » June 21st 2011, 7:37pm

ChronoMATT wrote:With a classic Accutron on the wrist, you are a walking horological museum and have fascinating history to share with people who are interested in what you are wristing.

Please, please post a pic of your new 218D if you snag it!
I will as well as this 218 I have as none of the ones on the site you gave me to check out has any thing close to it.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » March 17th 2020, 8:58am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Case is 30mm. Imagine that on the wrist of a cheeto puffs eating watch geek.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
17 Jewel movement

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."

Return to “Bulova & Accutron”