70’S BULOVA DEEP SEA

koimaster
Founder

70’S BULOVA DEEP SEA

Post by koimaster » June 23rd 2020, 5:14pm

Over the years, Bulova has produced a boat load of differently styled divers and chronographs. During the 1970’s, they made several different diver chronographs with a variety of case and dial styles. Perhaps the most quintessential of the 1970’s was the Deep Sea Chronograph with “surfboard dial”. Produced for only two years, 1970 and 1971, this chunky diver has all the 1970’s hallmarks.

My example was made in 1971, and is in all original condition. The dial is the main attraction here, silvery white with a fantastic blue oval “surfboard” encircling the two chronograph register sub dials. It has thick, applied steel markers with lume filled lines, and unique broad white hands with day-glow orange tips. I once heard someone refer to them as “cigarette” hands as they do resemble a cigarette with an ember at the tip! How 70’s is that?

The dial has a tachymeter along the outer edge for timing one’s speed. It is signed “Bulova 666 Feet” under the twelve marker. It’s interesting to note that Bulova is (as far as I know) the only company to put their depth rating at 666 feet. Most companies making similar divers at that time used a rating of 600 or 660 feet. I guess Bulova wanted to show that theirs were just a little bit better, and weren’t afraid to alienate anyone with the 666! Personally, I love this little touch that Bulova added.

https://wornandwound.com/affordable-vin ... ronograph/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."

Return to “Bulova & Accutron”