The Admiral has landed!

Tzimisces

The Admiral has landed!

Post by Tzimisces » October 1st 2015, 8:52am

Against all expectations, the Admiral is here. Just in time for the hurricane. We've had a week of a light, soaking rain, and now up to 6 inches of rain is expected by Sunday, along with high winds.
Nuvolari (Online)
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: The Admiral has landed!

Post by Nuvolari » October 1st 2015, 12:38pm

Word on the street is... They had to kick him out of the admirals lounge because he kept picking fights with subordinates. The Admiral had to "disappear" in order to dry out before returning to active duty..

But keep it on the QT, I don't want him to get in trouble...
“Could somebody please let me know what the fuck is going on here?? It's like walking into the local Safeway to do some grocery shopping and finding a bunch of ghey midgets cornholing each other in the produce department.” - Conjurer

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » October 1st 2015, 12:50pm

Nuvolari wrote:Word on the street is... They had to kick him out of the admirals lounge because he kept picking fights with subordinates. The Admiral had to "disappear" in order to dry out before returning to active duty..

But keep it on the QT, I don't want him to get in trouble...

The Admiral's old adage: two subordinates talking is a conversation, three talking is a mutiny.
Tzimisces

Post by Tzimisces » October 1st 2015, 7:12pm

Ok. I have met the Admiral, and though no pics yet, I can give some first impressions.

For some reason, the watch was set 6 hours early. In setting it, I found the winding knob easy to use, with no slop in the winding knob pin.

The numericals are easy to read, with excellent contrast between the black time pointers and the slightly off-white face. It is not too shinny.

The indiglo complication is a nice feature. You push the winding knob in and the face lights up, making this a great movie watch, or, dare I say it, a great watch for playing covered wagon.

Using the Conjurer/Hustler system, I rate this timepiece as 3/4 erect.
Tzimisces

Post by Tzimisces » October 5th 2015, 7:45pm

Bring the Admiral to work day. The Admiral hates this fucking job almost as much as I do. It is the "ICA" (some fancy-pants art center for Virginia Commonwealth University, or VCU). The GC is a tremendous pain in the ass, with a lot of CYA paperwork to be filled out before each lift. On each 4 page form, I write the date no fewer than 8 times, for example. I sign in 4 places, the rigger in 3, the signalman in 2, and the GC in 4. Our superintendent is the most disorganized person I've met in over 30 yrs in construction. Often, when I pull into one of his jobs, a foreman will ask "what are you doing here?" I respond "How 'bout you tell me, since you asked for the fucking crane."

Gerdson should appreciate this product of Deutschland. It is known as a "computer", but is properly known as a "Load Moment Indicator", or LMI. Very useful tool. It tells me tare weight, gross capacity, radius, boom angle, tip height, and boom length. If I exceed the capacity, it locks out the controls, (can be overridden, however), allowing only those functions that increase stability.
gerdson
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » October 5th 2015, 10:53pm

Ah, German Engineering. Note that You have to add 50-100% to any value it is showing, when a state inspector is present.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
fatman
ASSHAT

Post by fatman » October 6th 2015, 1:32am

gerdson wrote:Ah, German Engineering. Note that You have to add 50-100% to any value it is showing, when a state inspector is present.

:chump:

I was so hoping to see some construction site pics with the admiral. Look like he fits right in out there kicking rocks with the boys building stuff.
HF
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » October 6th 2015, 3:49am

Cool work photos!

I want a "bring Biggie to work day." Cranes, dump trucks, lawyering, doctoring, computering, diving, book selling, pharmaceuticaling...

The Lords are a diverse and intelligent lot and the Admiral is having his way about our lives. What a treat!
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."
Tzimisces

Post by Tzimisces » October 6th 2015, 6:59am

gerdson wrote:Ah, German Engineering. Note that You have to add 50-100% to any value it is showing, when a state inspector is present.

This isn't a joke. At ICA the "lift plan", and the "lift permit" (the paperwork) insist on me giving the heaviest pick at the greatest radius, then the crane capacity at that radius. I divide the weight by capacity and it must be less than 75%, or it becomes a "critical pick", which requires another layer of paperwork. The GC once went over my figures, arbitrarily added 20% for a "safety factor", noted that the result was now 73%, which he declared was close to 75, then nixed the plan. He really is a pain in the ass.
Tzimisces

Post by Tzimisces » October 7th 2015, 6:38pm

The Admiral and I about to unload rebar.

Later in the day, back at ICA.

Don't worry, future recipients. The Admiral was not worn all day, only for a few photo-ops. Thus the strap is not dirty or sweaty. Aside from the hygiene issue, I would hate to cause damage.
Tzimisces

Post by Tzimisces » October 8th 2015, 1:33pm

Mildly interesting day today. The Admiral and I sailed to Fredericksburg to a new jobsite, the future home a food distribution warehouse. It will be 20 acres under roof, so a big fucking building. Right now it is 58 acres of mud. The rebar truck got stuck in the entrance.

Pushed out. The uke in front of him made him swing too early, and the spread axle didn't help. Slid right into the hole.

Watching 'em work.

Return to “Admiral Spunk Travels”