Orient Star Diver

User avatar
jason_recliner
ASSHAT
Posts: 9691
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Orient Star Diver

Post by jason_recliner » November 25th 2021, 12:21am

conjurer wrote:
November 25th 2021, 12:20am
Interestingly, Orient Star has only issued one diver before this one, the very fine Revolver. This could be a fine replacement for that one.
And the OS300, the best/second best dive watch I have owned (vying with the MM300).
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Posts: 34186
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Orient Star Diver

Post by conjurer » November 25th 2021, 12:30am

jason_recliner wrote:
November 25th 2021, 12:21am
conjurer wrote:
November 25th 2021, 12:20am
Interestingly, Orient Star has only issued one diver before this one, the very fine Revolver. This could be a fine replacement for that one.
And the OS300, the best/second best dive watch I have owned (vying with the MM300).
Well, apart from that one, goddamn it.
User avatar
bedlam
Senior Member & WIS
Posts: 9541
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)
Contact:

Re: Orient Star Diver

Post by bedlam » November 25th 2021, 2:23am

jason_recliner wrote:
November 25th 2021, 12:21am
conjurer wrote:
November 25th 2021, 12:20am
Interestingly, Orient Star has only issued one diver before this one, the very fine Revolver. This could be a fine replacement for that one.
And the OS300, the best/second best dive watch I have owned (vying with the MM300).
Total agreement.

I sold my MM300 but have retained the OS300. The MM300 is pretty special but I would maintain the OS300 is the best dollar for dollar dive watch ever.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
Capitalism: a cult that promised to do good for the worst reasons.
Nationalism: a profound longing to go back to a past that never existed.
Pete26
Member
Posts: 129
Joined: June 5th 2015, 3:14pm
Contact:

Re: Orient Star Diver

Post by Pete26 » May 1st 2022, 6:05pm

jason_recliner wrote:
November 25th 2021, 12:21am
conjurer wrote:
November 25th 2021, 12:20am
Interestingly, Orient Star has only issued one diver before this one, the very fine Revolver. This could be a fine replacement for that one.
And the OS300, the best/second best dive watch I have owned (vying with the MM300).
I just pulled the trigger on a red dial Sat diver from Watches88. I'm very excited. I sold a few and have some funds available, so sick of the marketing hype around the Swiss brands.
Pete26
Member
Posts: 129
Joined: June 5th 2015, 3:14pm
Contact:

Re: Orient Star Diver

Post by Pete26 » May 1st 2022, 6:06pm

bedlam wrote:
November 25th 2021, 2:23am
jason_recliner wrote:
November 25th 2021, 12:21am
conjurer wrote:
November 25th 2021, 12:20am
Interestingly, Orient Star has only issued one diver before this one, the very fine Revolver. This could be a fine replacement for that one.
And the OS300, the best/second best dive watch I have owned (vying with the MM300).
Total agreement.

I sold my MM300 but have retained the OS300. The MM300 is pretty special but I would maintain the OS300 is the best dollar for dollar dive watch ever.
I agree completely, although I will keep my Tuna, the Sat diver is going to be my new fave.
User avatar
bedlam
Senior Member & WIS
Posts: 9541
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)
Contact:

Re: Orient Star Diver

Post by bedlam » May 1st 2022, 6:14pm

Pete26 wrote:
May 1st 2022, 6:06pm
bedlam wrote:
November 25th 2021, 2:23am
jason_recliner wrote:
November 25th 2021, 12:21am
conjurer wrote:
November 25th 2021, 12:20am
Interestingly, Orient Star has only issued one diver before this one, the very fine Revolver. This could be a fine replacement for that one.
And the OS300, the best/second best dive watch I have owned (vying with the MM300).
Total agreement.

I sold my MM300 but have retained the OS300. The MM300 is pretty special but I would maintain the OS300 is the best dollar for dollar dive watch ever.
I agree completely, although I will keep my Tuna, the Sat diver is going to be my new fave.
The OS300 is a beast. I found it wears best on an ISOfrane rubber strap.

Image
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
Capitalism: a cult that promised to do good for the worst reasons.
Nationalism: a profound longing to go back to a past that never existed.
User avatar
jason_recliner
ASSHAT
Posts: 9691
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Orient Star Diver

Post by jason_recliner » May 1st 2022, 9:04pm

Pete26 wrote:
May 1st 2022, 6:05pm
jason_recliner wrote:
November 25th 2021, 12:21am
conjurer wrote:
November 25th 2021, 12:20am
Interestingly, Orient Star has only issued one diver before this one, the very fine Revolver. This could be a fine replacement for that one.
And the OS300, the best/second best dive watch I have owned (vying with the MM300).
I just pulled the trigger on a red dial Sat diver from Watches88. I'm very excited. I sold a few and have some funds available, so sick of the marketing hype around the Swiss brands.
Hahaha! I was going to joke too bad they don't do an orange dial. But they do!!!

I reckon I miss that one more than the PO and the SD. Maybe even more than the MM300. I'm with Carl, something about this one, it's just... well... PERFECT. Just to be obtuse, I reckon I'd put one on a BC instead of Isofrane. Just more choices.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
bedlam
Senior Member & WIS
Posts: 9541
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)
Contact:

Re: Orient Star Diver

Post by bedlam » November 23rd 2022, 5:28pm

Looks super nice. OS200 upgraded...can't go wrong
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
Capitalism: a cult that promised to do good for the worst reasons.
Nationalism: a profound longing to go back to a past that never existed.
User avatar
robatsu (Online)
Master of Time
Posts: 739
Joined: February 10th 2015, 7:53am
Contact:

Re: Orient Star Diver

Post by robatsu » November 23rd 2022, 7:20pm

It is a stylin watch, Orient has been kind of in a dry spell recently.

Still thick at 14.5 but 40.2mm case width is much to my liking

Love the bracelet look, dressy diver

Honestly Orient and OS dos a lot of demented srufff, guitar watches etc

But every now and then something pretty coolio, never too long on horological sophistication, but good enough and always some drama, putting it on a bit.

It’s always a bit tongue in cheek with them.

Anyhow I really dig this one, OS at its best
User avatar
majt
Posts: 418
Joined: January 15th 2013, 11:00pm
Location: vancouver island bc
Contact:

Re: Orient Star Diver

Post by majt » November 23rd 2022, 7:29pm

I am a big fan of Orient. 2 bambinos,1 maco and a symphony. Never any issues like the ones experienced with seiko and the accuracy with Orient was equal and sometimes better than watches I've had at twice the price.
User avatar
robatsu (Online)
Master of Time
Posts: 739
Joined: February 10th 2015, 7:53am
Contact:

Re: Orient Star Diver

Post by robatsu » November 24th 2022, 5:03am

And here’s something rather odd

Orient Star didn’t have much of a diver tradition or repertoire. There’s some, more from Orient, but not a pillar of the dive community

Then kind of out of the blue the OS300, they knock the cover off the ball, the watch gets raves

So thats interesting enough they could do that from a relatively cold start.

But then, ran it through two minor revisions and then just stopped.

You’d think having gotten the kudos they did for a saturation diver that they would have kept that niche going, it’s a prestigious one.

But nope, quite happy to be one hit wonders, walk away from it until next time inspiration hits

And in the meantime make all sorts of weirdo open heart and skeleton watches that are just eye wateringly ugly for some years

Then it comes up on the scheduler, make a coolio dressy diver.

And bingo, the green one kills IMO.

Kind of a weird company. Like when they made some really nice chronos from Seiko 6s28/37 movements, two models then no more auto chronos out of them.
User avatar
robatsu (Online)
Master of Time
Posts: 739
Joined: February 10th 2015, 7:53am
Contact:

Re: Orient Star Diver

Post by robatsu » November 24th 2022, 8:19am

The sculpted well defined and a bit longish lugs on a cylindrical case work well for non fitted bracelets

Hate to say it, but shark mesh possibly. I’ve never actually done that to a watch but seems like it could work here although I’m not sure I would like the feeling and fit

Image
User avatar
robatsu (Online)
Master of Time
Posts: 739
Joined: February 10th 2015, 7:53am
Contact:

Re: Orient Star Diver

Post by robatsu » November 24th 2022, 1:54pm

Most of the retailers are discounting the green ones both here and in Japan. Jomashop selling these at 790 a pop only a couple months after introduction is a an indicator

My thought is they won’t offer the green one for very long, one of those fun to look at but tough to buy deals
User avatar
jason_recliner
ASSHAT
Posts: 9691
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Orient Star Diver

Post by jason_recliner » November 24th 2022, 4:56pm

Cool! Orient make great dive watches. Not really my bag these days but if you like dive watches you really can't go wrong. Will be a nice replacement for your Marinemaster :-)

That one would suit black rubber IMO.

I am one of the weirdos that likes the skeletonised Orient Stars!
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
Datsun240Z71
Founding Member - WIS
Posts: 2978
Joined: February 9th 2010, 11:00pm
Contact:

Re: Orient Star Diver

Post by Datsun240Z71 » November 26th 2022, 4:39am

conjurer wrote:
November 25th 2021, 12:20am
Interestingly, Orient Star has only issued one diver before this one, the very fine Revolver. This could be a fine replacement for that one.
This Revolver on eBay has been calling my name for many, many months. The asking price is way too much, but I don't know what he'd take or what a "fair" offer would be. I've thought about contacting the seller and asking straight away what he'd take, but have not done so yet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203696828952?h ... R_zv17uWYQ
Randy in Nashville
User avatar
robatsu (Online)
Master of Time
Posts: 739
Joined: February 10th 2015, 7:53am
Contact:

Re: Orient Star Diver

Post by robatsu » November 26th 2022, 11:19am

Keep an eye on Yahoo Japan auctions. These turn up occasionally there.

Jauce.com is the intermediary service I’ve used for years and years. Never a problem.

The exchange rate is extremely favorable for dollar buyers now too. So a good time for anyone looking for Japanese pre owned stuff
Post Reply

Return to “Orient”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest