Sólás Starlight

Watches and such at Kickstarter.
koimaster
Founder

Sólás Starlight

Post by koimaster » October 7th 2020, 10:31am

eview by @watchmakersdaughter

To say that I’ve been hyped about the Sólás Starlight since March is an understatement. A micro-rotor movement in a watch under $1000? When I was asked to review the Starlight, I couldn’t say yes fast enough.

Upon receiving the watch, the first thing I did was flip it over to admire the business end. The Starlight does not disappoint. Instead of going with a typical Sellita, Seiko, or Miyota automatic, Sólás uses the Hangzhou 5000a, a 3.9mm thick micro-rotor movement with sub-seconds and date, running at 28,800bph, 42-hour power reserve, and a specified accuracy of +/- 20 seconds per day. The movement itself is fantastic to look at and the Genève stripe finishing is well done for the sub $500 Kickstarter price. The Sólás logo on the rotor is a nice, delicate touch. If you think a Seagull ST19 is a lovely movement to look at, you’re going to fall in love with the Sólás Starlight.

http://www.thetimebum.com/2020/10/solas ... ime+Bum%29

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/so ... otor-watch

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Founder

Re: Sólás Starlight

Post by koimaster » October 7th 2020, 12:23pm

conjurer wrote:
October 7th 2020, 11:16am
Aren't these the same bastards who scammed their owners?
Stolas is the brand and criminals you are thinking of. Folks should have seen it coming just from the name of the watch, Stol(e)as

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
biglove (Online)
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Post by biglove » October 7th 2020, 12:44pm

Movement looks great. Dial looks like dime store gumball machine trash...with glitter.

Bet they make off with scads of cash, the bastards.
Last edited by biglove on October 7th 2020, 8:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I always complain because I'm old now and everything hurts."-Mike Rowe
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by 3Flushes » October 7th 2020, 2:16pm

conjurer wrote:
Well, I could see why they might have to in order to turn a buck.

However, I like the layout of the dial.38 is a plus. I've long liked Omegas' micro-rotor movements, so the movement looks interesting, while +/- 20 a day is none too impressive. I'd bet it does much better, particularly well regulated. So a couple of things though. They call it sub luxury for sub $500. I see. Well, it would have to be very sub $500 to interest me enough to buy it, and sub $500 sounds like $489 including a just fair extra attachment dé wriste and a money clip.

So, price is everything, I wonder what i... oh my, NVM. Welp, that's too bad. It couldn't be cheap enough to for me to buy with that speckled dial that doesn't appear to be in the pattern of any known constellation or anything, although I didn't major in that. Maybe the shitty pictures just naturally make the pattern of the dial look like shit. I hope they do better on the launch page. If there is some way that dial could look good I might even be interested. For the right price. Of course.
Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » October 7th 2020, 10:00pm

koimaster wrote:
October 7th 2020, 12:23pm
conjurer wrote:
Stolas is the brand and criminals you are thinking of. Folks should have seen it coming just from the name of the watch, Stol(e)as
I stand corrected. The dial still looks like fucking shit.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye

Return to “Kickstarter/Crowd Funding Projects”