DuBois et fils - a Success Story in Crowd Funding

Watches and such at Kickstarter.
koimaster
Founder

DuBois et fils - a Success Story in Crowd Funding

Post by koimaster » September 26th 2019, 9:44am

Le Locle, July 4, 2013 – Watch friends from all over the world came to Le Locle to witness the oldest revived Swiss watch factory opening a new chapter of its unique history. Nearly 200 shareholders as well as 100 other guests celebrated the successful completion of the crowdfunding campaign and enjoyed the live presentation of the new watch collection. 600 investors who had purchased the shares during the crowd funding campaign made the relaunch possible. The renovated Musée des Beaux-Arts in Le Locle offered a perfect backdrop for the event: “A construction site symbolizes optimism. Against this background we have presented our new model to the public for the first time”, says Thomas Steinemann, the owner of DuBois et fils.

http://www.tempusfugit.watch/2013/07/du ... crowd.html

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: DuBois et fils - a Success Story in Crowd Funding

Post by conjurer » September 26th 2019, 12:03pm

It's unfortunate to see a grand old name like this spreading its ass cheeks for the likes of Bazinga!.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » September 26th 2019, 3:00pm

I've exchanged a few e-mails with Herr Steinemann, when I've contacted the company to check if they have any records for my DuBois - the new DuBois has acquired the documentation of the original DuBois. Sadly, while the 18th and 19th century documentation is good, the relatively detailed records end sometime in the 1930s.
Anyway, a kind fellow. Seems to care about the heritage of the original DuBois, has created a small museum of DuBois watches (from the company's earliest days, until the 1980s-1990s), documents, letters, original tools, and just about everything related to the company.

As for the company itself... They do great work on the finishing of the movements, so I can't accuse them of bad quality. On the contrary to a lot of "crowdfunding" ventures, they seem to have made good use of the money.

That said, DuBois didn't go the same way as the twats who put the Earnshaw name on certifiably dreadful rubbish.

However... Frankly, I'd be fucked if I'd ever wear any of their current watches, their current design language does little - and that's only a polite way of saying "nothing" - for me. Their designs are all over the place - some look sort of original, some are more or less 1970s-style, some look so fucking over the top that I may vomit. Guess I have to call "inconclusive" on this one.

Suppose that bringing up DuBois is as good a reason as anything else to post - for the nth time, most likely - a pic of my DuBois:
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » September 26th 2019, 4:55pm

bbattle wrote:
September 26th 2019, 3:24pm
I like the design of your Dubois but the hands look dirty from age. Is it better to have the watch "refreshed" or to leave it as is?
The collectible value of it would suffer then, as this would also require a relume job. Not that it matters, since I like it the way it is, and thus I have absolutely no intention of tampering with it in any way.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » September 26th 2019, 7:52pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
September 26th 2019, 3:00pm
That said, DuBois didn't go the same way as the twats who put the Earnshaw name on certifiably dreadful rubbish.
You got that right. Earnshaw, at least up to last year, had a former "member" here repping the "classic" brand on ShopPU

That's Wiley Lowe, and if he likes Earnshaw, you can rest assured the the baby Jesus loves Earnshaw (don't ask).

Today's Earnshaws are sold on Slop with pens or hankies or monocles or whatnot. Pure junk that somehow has "Swiss Made" slapped on 'em. I'm pretty sure ShopPU have Earnshow the heave-ho when Lalo took over.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » September 26th 2019, 7:59pm

TemerityB wrote:
September 26th 2019, 7:52pm
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
You got that right. Earnshaw, at least up to last year, had a former "member" here repping the "classic" brand on ShopPU

That's Wiley Lowe, and if he likes Earnshaw, you can rest assured the the baby Jesus loves Earnshaw (don't ask).

Today's Earnshaws are sold on Slop with pens or hankies or monocles or whatnot. Pure junk that somehow has "Swiss Made" slapped on 'em. I'm pretty sure ShopPU have Earnshow the heave-ho when Lalo took over.
What the fuck's on that jerkoff's head???
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » September 26th 2019, 8:04pm

conjurer wrote:
September 26th 2019, 7:59pm
TemerityB wrote:
September 26th 2019, 7:52pm
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:

What the fuck's on that jerkoff's head???
Hair, I presume.
3Flushes (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » September 27th 2019, 12:57pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:

You know, I love this watch for all of the numerous obvious reasons to love it, but I super love it as a student of advancements in mvmts.

It really is a marker of the constant advance of watchmakers against magnetic fields and vibration. Protective devices against shock and dissipating magnetism in iron cages or shielding against it with continuous advancements in springs, balances and whatnot made from better and better non-metallic materials resulting in Nivorox evolving as the benchmark to beat. A classic men's watch from an extremely productive time in engineering movements whose achievements were still innovative enough to be touted on the dial. Noice, really noice. I want me one.

It really is sickening how these assholes come along and just assume the entire identity of formerly innovative and respected manufacturers.
Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » September 27th 2019, 5:51pm

biglove wrote:
September 27th 2019, 5:09pm
One of my favorites of yours, MK.

Buying up dead watch brands is a shitty business. All fluff, no substance it seems in most brands reborn or resurrected.

It has happened in the bicycle business. A Chinese company has bought up a bunch of bicycle brand names that died in the 70's/80's and they market off their history. They also continue to use an incredibly bad web page design and the time-worn strategy of having everything on sale for 50% or more off, Buy Today!

http://bikesdirect.com/

Return to “Kickstarter/Crowd Funding Projects”