Remembering Big Joe - 911 Hero

Memorial forum in memory of Watchlord members who have passed away
Post Reply
User avatar
koimaster
Founder
Posts: 44433
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon, Thanks for visiting! Now go back home!
Contact:

Remembering Big Joe - 911 Hero

Post by koimaster » March 3rd 2014, 5:47pm

In memory of 911, Big Joe who spent several months at the site and responded to the call for help on 911 as did his and many other fire departments. Big Joe died from 911 complications.



Image
Image



Just in case the geeks forgot to post something to the guy they all claimed they loved.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS
Posts: 3059
Joined: January 29th 2013, 11:00pm
Contact:

Re: Remembering Big Joe

Post by JAS1125 » March 3rd 2014, 6:32pm

conjurer wrote:As I recall, the Powers That Be at WGs thought Big Joe was a fucking moron, and PM'ed each other how he deserved a kick in the nuts. This about a good guy, a firefighter (which means he had balls of brass) and one of their top fuzzy bunnies.



And after the barn door was open, they made him an ambassador, or something like that.
Classy of him to accept it and stay on......I sure as hell wouldn't have
"Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance"

David Mamet
User avatar
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Posts: 17872
Joined: June 12th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: Remembering Big Joe

Post by TemerityB » March 3rd 2014, 9:51pm

JAS1125 wrote:
conjurer wrote:As I recall, the Powers That Be at WGs thought Big Joe was a fucking moron, and PM'ed each other how he deserved a kick in the nuts. This about a good guy, a firefighter (which means he had balls of brass) and one of their top fuzzy bunnies.



And after the barn door was open, they made him an ambassador, or something like that.
Classy of him to accept it and stay on......I sure as hell wouldn't have


Agreed. Joe shoulda fucking pimp-slapped those assholes, because was was twice the man those hucksters will ever be.
The Best Invicta Ever is: The ones you used to own. - Boscoe
User avatar
svaglic
Master of Time
Posts: 5185
Joined: November 30th 2010, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Remembering Big Joe

Post by svaglic » March 3rd 2014, 10:11pm

conjurer wrote:As I recall, the Powers That Be at WGs thought Big Joe was a fucking moron, and PM'ed each other how he deserved a kick in the nuts. This about a good guy, a firefighter (which means he had balls of brass) and one of their top fuzzy bunnies.


They were jealous of him. He lived the life of a hero, that they could only read about. He had a lot of peoples respect, he earned an honest living that provided well for his family. His honest reality was their fantasy.
If you or someone you know has been butt hurt over the lies Watchlords has exposed, you may be entitled to compensation. Please call 1-888-who-gives-a-fu** operators are standing by.
User avatar
ChronoMATT
Master of Time
Posts: 2431
Joined: June 8th 2011, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Sun Diego, California
Contact:

Re: Remembering Big Joe

Post by ChronoMATT » March 3rd 2014, 10:29pm

I need to be straightened-out here, but first want to state he following comment is outside of Big Joe's brave work as a fire fighter that made him more of a hero than I could ever aspire to be. In my mind, most peace officers, fire fighters and in-country military ride the apex of heroism to me.

Back in the day when I had Geek Fever and was an active member of WGs, even I thought Big Joe was overboard and a bit wack-o. Despite seemingly being a kind gent, he certainly appeared to be the architype WatchGeek that justifiably gets reamed here. He was the definition of the forum's namesake.

Why do most here have such a soft spot for him and his ultimate Geekdom? I'm sincere in requesting schooling on the matter.
Image
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Posts: 33020
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Remembering Big Joe

Post by conjurer » March 3rd 2014, 11:16pm

ChronoMATT wrote:I need to be straightened-out here, but first want to state he following comment is outside of Big Joe's brave work as a fire fighter that made him more of a hero than I could ever aspire to be. In my mind, most peace officers, fire fighters and in-country military ride the apex of heroism to me.

Back in the day when I had Geek Fever and was an active member of WGs, even I thought Big Joe was overboard and a bit wack-o. Despite seemingly being a kind gent, he certainly appeared to be the architype WatchGeek that justifiably gets reamed here. He was the definition of the forum's namesake.

Why do most here have such a soft spot for him and his ultimate Geekdom? I'm sincere in requesting schooling on the matter.


An honest question, Matt; I can't speak for anybody else, but to me, a guy who runs into a burning building is somebody to be respected for his courage and selflessness. As you so perfectly point out, they ride the apex of heroism. A guy like that can be, outside of his job, a total boor, a prick who kicks puppies, a drunken lout, somebody who dresses like a hayseed, a watch geek, whatever--it still doesn't detract from his service, probably for chump change. As Sovie points out in his perceptive post above, he was the Real Thing, and the jerkoffs who run WGs couldn't compete.
User avatar
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT - RETIRED
Posts: 9280
Joined: August 29th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: Remembering Big Joe

Post by Horse Feathers » March 3rd 2014, 11:27pm

conjurer wrote:
ChronoMATT wrote:I need to be straightened-out here, but first want to state he following comment is outside of Big Joe's brave work as a fire fighter that made him more of a hero than I could ever aspire to be. In my mind, most peace officers, fire fighters and in-country military ride the apex of heroism to me.

Back in the day when I had Geek Fever and was an active member of WGs, even I thought Big Joe was overboard and a bit wack-o. Despite seemingly being a kind gent, he certainly appeared to be the architype WatchGeek that justifiably gets reamed here. He was the definition of the forum's namesake.

Why do most here have such a soft spot for him and his ultimate Geekdom? I'm sincere in requesting schooling on the matter.


An honest question, Matt; I can't speak for anybody else, but to me, a guy who runs into a burning building is somebody to be respected for his courage and selflessness. As you so perfectly point out, they ride the apex of heroism. A guy like that can be, outside of his job, a total boor, a prick who kicks puppies, a drunken lout, somebody who dresses like a hayseed, a watch geek, whatever--it still doesn't detract from his service, probably for chump change. As Sovie points out in his perceptive post above, he was the Real Thing, and the jerkoffs who run WGs couldn't compete.


Well stated, just to add that people (being kind here) like Skelton and Turdling interpret politeness as weakness (it's a trait that is foreign to them and as con men they equate that to being a mark). Cant imagine either heading towards a fire to help others, they would be knocking over women and children to save their miserable asses
Image

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
User avatar
BigCheez
ASSHAT
Posts: 5560
Joined: May 20th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Remembering Big Joe

Post by BigCheez » March 4th 2014, 7:42am

Big Joe was certainly in the pantheon of fuzzy bunnies and he slurped every bit of koolaid he was offered, but he NEVER had anything but a kind word for others, at least that I ever saw.

Virtually every other ubergeek has the side effect of also being a raging douchebag in addition to their near-criminal naivete.

RIP Big Joe.
Image
User avatar
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS
Posts: 8920
Joined: August 31st 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: Remembering Big Joe

Post by Falstaff » March 4th 2014, 8:02am

BigCheez wrote:Big Joe was certainly in the pantheon of fuzzy bunnies and he slurped every bit of koolaid he was offered, but he NEVER had anything but a kind word for others, at least that I ever saw.

Virtually every other ubergeek has the side effect of also being a raging douchebag in addition to their near-criminal naivete.

RIP Big Joe.



El Queso Monstro nailed it - A bunny to the core, but a gentleman through and through.
"...and I shan't quit ripping them till I do get buckled!"

J the R 1888
User avatar
koimaster
Founder
Posts: 44433
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon, Thanks for visiting! Now go back home!
Contact:

Re: Remembering Big Joe

Post by koimaster » March 4th 2014, 9:17am

He was the guy who organized gatherings in his area. Funny thing is he owned some very high watches such as a Corum bridge and others in that price range. I think as his disabilities took their toll on him, the geeks became a way for him to communicate with others.

He called a group of us once and called me after I exposed what the bunny overlords at the time said about him. He thanked me for it and let me know that he was going to stay because many of the lemmings had reached out to him.
Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
koimaster
Founder
Posts: 44433
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon, Thanks for visiting! Now go back home!
Contact:

Remembering Big Joe

Post by koimaster » March 27th 2015, 9:52am

Big Joe was never a formal member of Watchlords but he did contact several of us from time to time including phone calls. He lurked at the forum and used to email me about jokes and comments made here. He may have purchased a lot of junk from tv, but he also owned Corums, Rolex, Omega and a few other high end watches. He was not the fuzzy bunny he was called by a former tv shill.

Some other members here have also met or been contacted by Joe and as such and for his contribution to helping people at the cost of his own health and ultimately his death at the 9/11 site, I think he should be remembered. No one else does.
Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
ocean
Master of Time
Posts: 3159
Joined: June 12th 2011, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Daytona Beach
Contact:

Re: Remembering Big Joe

Post by ocean » March 27th 2015, 7:38pm

Man it's been that long? Did get to exchange some email information with Joe. Joe knew what he was buying when we talked. Unbelievable how they treated members there.
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time
Posts: 10649
Joined: December 25th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: Remembering Big Joe

Post by eddiea » March 2nd 2017, 6:00pm

I'm sure Big Joe was a nice guy , never knew the dude , it looks from here he was the quintessential geek and his taste in watches suck accordingly, along with his long term kool-aid drinking association with that now death forum not missing him but, RIP nonetheless....
User avatar
koimaster
Founder
Posts: 44433
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon, Thanks for visiting! Now go back home!
Contact:

Re: Remembering Big Joe

Post by koimaster » March 2nd 2017, 9:53pm

eddiea wrote:I'm sure Big Joe was a nice guy , never knew the dude , it looks from here he was the quintessential geek and his taste in watches suck accordingly, along with his long term kool-aid drinking association with that now dead forum not missing him but, RIP nonetheless....


He was a good guy. Geeks was about all he had after 9/11 where many of his friends died and he became disabled from the poison in the air and debris.


He owned many top of the line watches including a corum bridge, jlc, several rolex as well as a PP nautilus. His were rwal not replicas like those of cali kid and horsetrack.
Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
koimaster
Founder
Posts: 44433
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon, Thanks for visiting! Now go back home!
Contact:

Re: Remembering Big Joe

Post by koimaster » February 21st 2019, 10:40am

That time once again where we honor those who passed on after running out of time. Big Joe was not a member here but many remember his and several had interactions with him. Unlike some aviators, this man put his life on the line during the 9/11 days and the aftermath as well as during his time at the fire department.

He was an honorable man.
Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time
Posts: 8528
Joined: December 19th 2009, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Re: Remembering Big Joe - 911 Hero

Post by Mark1 » September 12th 2021, 6:58pm

I remember Joe called in and spoke with all of us at the first gtg I ever attended. Can't recall the exact locale but it was a restaurant somewhere in Salem. Koi, smellody, barnbuilder, nwguy, jaw, myself and others were in attendance. This was well before watchlords. To some degree, we were all fuzzy bunnies then. Classy guy.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
User avatar
smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time
Posts: 7968
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: OR
Contact:

Re: Remembering Big Joe - 911 Hero

Post by smellody » September 12th 2021, 7:38pm

Mark1 wrote:
September 12th 2021, 6:58pm
I remember Joe called in and spoke with all of us at the first gtg I ever attended. Can't recall the exact locale but it was a restaurant somewhere in Salem. Koi, smellody, barnbuilder, nwguy, jaw, myself and others were in attendance. This was well before watchlords. To some degree, we were all fuzzy bunnies then. Classy guy.
It was at Bentley's Grill.
   Image
Post Reply

Return to “bigedsurf memorial forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest