Do I sell to buyer with one post in two yeats

Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Do I sell to buyer with one post in two yeats

Post by Mark1 » January 21st 2019, 11:06pm

Sure, I would, if they pay up before shipment. The only people I have refused to sell to are ones who have either low balled me or asked me to list a watch as watch parts so they could save a few bucks on import duties.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » January 21st 2019, 11:27pm

Mark1 wrote:Sure, I would, if they pay up before shipment. The only people I have refused to sell to are ones who have either low balled me or asked me to list a watch as watch parts so they could save a few bucks on import duties.

Quite so.

Alas, selling on WUS can now be a trial; I haven't sold there in a few years. When I did, I would list it at the least amount I would take for it, which was usually somewhat below street value, and then sell it to the first jerkoff who would bite. This way, I certainly left a little cash on the table, but spared myself from lowballers and pacerguy fuckheads who wanted to trade fifteen Invicters. Also, by doing this, some schmuck ended up with the watch and felt that I had done him a favor, and so probably wouldn't turn around and act like an asshole after the sale, claiming I had misrepresented the watch. Almost all my deals since then have been private, with people I know, which makes things a lot easier.

Unfortunately, things have changed a bit over the last few years. Buyers seem far more likely to play the rules with Paypal, and claim, months after the deal, that they got screwed, and want their cash back--presumably after wearing the watch while fisting some bear in a reststop on the Jersey Turnpike. This is saying nothing of selling something to a guy like Joe Blazer, who was a yardbird jerkoff who threatened people with physical fucking death even before a deal is made.
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
robatsu
Master of Time

Post by robatsu » January 22nd 2019, 2:24am

I just got bored with the drill and moved on, truth be told. It was fun putting up photoessay ads, but eventually got to be work, or seemed like it soon would be.

I don't even bother off WL recently, the ability to just put up references, let WLs do their homework, saves me enormous hassle these days.

Well, I'm hoping the liquidation of my collection, which I've been putting off for years, is just about over. I had lots of other stuff, nearly all of which I gave away, which is even easier than selling on WL.

And here is something I figured out along the way, which there was a lot of value in some of these items that couldn't be measured in dollars. This has to do with what a certain piece meant to me, or some other ephemeral value expressed in the piece. And if I just sold it, that value would be completely lost, rather than carried forth with the piece under new stewardship.

And basically, for any a number of people, I thought, what would be a good gift for this person, and select from watches I didn't want to merely sell.

And then give it to them with the explanation that I was liquidating a collection and some of it I was giving away, etc.

Lotta fun. Jaws would drop at the stuff I gave away, the most being mine before I committed to the process. Like stepping out of an airplane, an act of faith that everything is going to work.

Pretty much took it down to bare metal, be fun to see where the road leads next.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by foghorn » January 22nd 2019, 6:06am

I've sold about 20 watches in the past 2 years at WUS. Some with low or zero posts. Never a problem. Only denied 2 requests. One was a guy whose PP address wasn't in his name. He said it was his wifes (and very likely was), but it raised a red flag. The other was a lowballer that begged me to sell to him. By the time he finally agreed to my price I had told him-politely-to fuck off.
Lots of people not active on the forums see stuff on recon and access the forum for sales only.
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » January 22nd 2019, 6:21am

Being paypal challenged combined with not knowing enough to avoid fake Rolexes (Roli?) cuts me off from 99% of private sales. Hell, I can't even buy at a WL auction.

So I make a studious effort to avoid any purchase attempt at a joint where I have two posts - which is pretty much anywhere but here. As to the actual OP question I can't see any problem that isn't solved by having the money in hand first.

Sellers are a wary lot and with good reason. I didn't know until recently that a paypal remittance could be clawed back. Or that there was any basis for trusting a USPS money order over one from the local Amscot.

Bank wire transfers might seem chancy from the standpoint of some buyers but they've served me well in the case of my favorite GS enabler and with the lovely Yan - a fitness instructor from Singapore who EddieA vouched for and who remains pleasant to gaze upon on Facebook. BWTs also serve me well for securing really nice discounts from a Su Province embroidery mill - and the first one such of those was a leap of faith. BWT into China? So far, so good.

Ask Mr. Two-poster for a bank wire transfer.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
robatsu
Master of Time

Post by robatsu » January 22nd 2019, 10:14am

Come to think of it, I've never really had an outright dodgy buyer, and that includes not only watches, but a whole lot of other things that people are really OCD about - vintage bicycle parts, the occasional musical instrument - probably at least 1k sales on ebay and so forth.

What I learned is that clear, prompt communications with buyers, packing well, and shipping ASAP prevent all sorts of problems.

Actually, the reverse is really the case, that it is really the opposite of the above, are small points of friction that fester into large ones.

Especially slow shipping. In the absence of any other reason, the amount of time it takes to get something in a buyer's hand is a period where buyer's remorse, paranoia, and so forth can set in.

So then when the buyer gets it, he is already a little bummed, so less favorably disposed towards the whole transaction. And then, when it shows up it has bad packing indicating the seller doesn't care. Which can then make them more suspect of the item.

Just not things that help towards positive attitudes and outcomes. Similarly, as a seller, getting paid ASAP after a sale generally indicates to me I'm in a positive transaction.

Puts me in a good mood, anyhow, one less thing to worry about, nagging some dude to pay me, which I don't think I've ever had to actually do.

Anyhow, packing well and shipping as fast as humanly possible heads off issues. I don't mean overnighting things, but getting it in the hands of shipper and a tracking notice to buyer.
svaglic (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by svaglic » January 22nd 2019, 10:29am

I’m not a big poster at WUS, but I do have a feedback or two there. I give the seller my eBay info so they can see I’m not a scam purchaser or complainer.
I also give them my WL info so they can inquire about me if they know anyone here.
You can have brains or you can have beauty, but you can’t have all three.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » January 22nd 2019, 10:51am

If paid upfront what's the fuckin problem? Buying from those guys is a crapshoot. Document the condition of the watch with as many photos as it requires and don't trip.
Copyright ©️ 2019 3flushes Media.

The past is never dead. It isn't even past.- Faulkner
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » January 22nd 2019, 11:32am

3Flushes wrote:
codguy wrote:Methinks two yeats is not enough

:lol:

:lol:
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
tomsimac
Senior Member & WIS

Post by tomsimac » January 31st 2019, 1:01pm

Racer: Excellent reply.

All kidding aside. I always check either by using "Homemetry" or Zillow ) love the ground view)
Checking everything if Im not sure and Im really getting sick of low ballers begging. :3
Have one now, Guy is in Australia .... mailing costs, values for import duties, giving the right value when buyer asks you to
fib on it. Another hint on what to expect. And PP clawing back funds, holding util buyer "accepts" it as delivered?

I bet we have a FAQ on the proper "Do"s and Don'ts" and if not maybe someone would make it up. Something that insures honest dealing and not the amount of "yeats" a buyer has LOL

Return to “Trade Forum”